The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Canucks trade targets, candidates and Goldobin considering signing in the KHL.

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The longer the Jets hang on to Trouba, the lower his value in trade.  I like the player though, and would move our 10 OA if Trouba came with an extension in place.  He's a very good player, who is still young.  Trouba and Hughes could be our number one pair for the next decade.  

I’d love to get Trouba.  He is awesome.

But I’m wondering why you think he is losing value?   Like real legit reasons. 

7 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I’d love to get Trouba.  He is awesome.

But I’m wondering why you think he is losing value?   Like real legit reasons. 

He's clearly not wanting to stay in the Peg.  The longer he is forced to play there, and gets closer to UFA status, the less any team will give up in trade for him.  Add to that there appears to be only a few teams (US based maybe?) he's wanting to play for.  Limited market lowers value.  

Really like him though, and would love to have him here.  I doubt he would extend with us though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

This for sure. Trouba, with an extension, fits our needs and at the right age. Tanev back to the Jets makes sense for cost control, the brother thing. We would have to add but I'd think Jake, Tanev, would be a great start to a package for Trouba. 

I still think with an extension the conversation starts with the 10 OA.  Look at the Jets roster, they have a plethora of quality wingers which renders Virtanen redundant.  If they move Trouba they will be wanting a good draft pick and a quality defenceman that can step into their roster now...unfortunately Tanev at 29/30 does not fit that bill as they have Morrissey and Chiarot who are younger and play a similar game.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

And keep our 10 OA?  Okay, sign me up for that trade for sure.  

Kind of where I'm going with that proposal. I'd even consider tossing in our second. But really would like to keep the first. 

1 hour ago, fanofvan said:

I still think with an extension the conversation starts with the 10 OA.  Look at the Jets roster, they have a plethora of quality wingers which renders Virtanen redundant.  If they move Trouba they will be wanting a good draft pick and a quality defenceman that can step into their roster now...unfortunately Tanev at 29/30 does not fit that bill as they have Morrissey and Chiarot who are younger and play a similar game.  

Ya I cant argue with that. I may be stretching but just not interested in trading our first. Tanev is older but would fit the Jets win now mode. Would consider Tanev and whatever, not including our core. Maybe Tanev, Gaudette, second. But not our first. Trouba is exactly the player we need.

• Cheers 1

Trouba would be nice but Tanev has to be part of the deal going back. Retain some CAP on Tanev would be part. Peg has CAP issues I think. Trouba played in Portland, right? An extension has to be in place as well. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

He's clearly not wanting to stay in the Peg.  The longer he is forced to play there, and gets closer to UFA status, the less any team will give up in trade for him.  Add to that there appears to be only a few teams (US based maybe?) he's wanting to play for.  Limited market lowers value.  

Really like him though, and would love to have him here.  I doubt he would extend with us though.  

So a couple of your points are answered by the thing. 

He is still an RFA.  

where he wants to go isn’t really that big of an issue, neither is him not wanting to be there.  

He basically has no say.  

He can say he won’t sign with the team that trades for him, but then he just sits out.  And for how long?   Is he willing to bluff his way out of a whole season?

there will be a ton of teams trying to acquire him which will also drive his value up.   

His value is sky high, and the convo would start at our #10 and go up fast from there.

But Winnipeg doesn’t seem like they would be looking for futures right now, so would the pick even start the conversation? 

24 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

He is still an RFA.  

where he wants to go isn’t really that big of an issue, neither is him not wanting to be there.  

He basically has no say.  

I don't think anyone is trading for him for potentially only 1 remaining UFA year.

If they're moving major assets, it will include a multi year extension IMO.

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

I don't think anyone is trading for him for potentially only 1 remaining UFA year.

If they're moving major assets, it will include a multi year extension IMO.

Of course.   

I just dont don’t think he is losing any value or has anything other than top value.  

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Of course.   

I just dont don’t think he is losing any value or has anything other than top value.  

Agreed.

Just disputing the 'he has no say' notion.

All he has to do is not agree to a multi year deal and it's a defacto NTC.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Of course.   

If Trouba will only sign an extension with a particular trading partner, which it sounds like is his intent, then his value drops because there is no market.  

Eould the Canucks, or any team, give up high value assets for Trouba knowing he’s not going to extend?  

No doubt he is a really good player, but his value is less than what it would be if he had a list of teams he would extend with.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, drummerboy said:

So a couple of your points are answered by the thing. 

He is still an RFA.  

He basically has no say.  

He can say he won’t sign with the team that trades for him, but then he just sits out.  And for how long?   Is he willing to bluff his way out of a whole season?

there will be a ton of teams trying to acquire him which will also drive his value up.   

His value is sky high, and the convo would start at our #10 and go up fast from there.

But Winnipeg doesn’t seem like they would be looking for futures right now, so would the pick even start the conversation? 

Trouba doesn't have to sit out - he has arbitration rights and will certainly file.   He'll get a 1 year ruling - it can't be for 2 years because he reaches UFA status next year and the ruling can only cover RFA years.

If the arbitration ruling is under 4.4M the team has to sign the player to whatever amount was awarded.   If it's above they can walk away and let the player become a free agent immediately.   

His qualifying offer is 5.5M so it's either sign him to whatever is awarded through arbitration or let him become a free agent immediately. 

• Cheers 1

On 4/28/2019 at 6:34 AM, steve french said:

Zucker is fine. As long as he is cheap. Given the climate this summer, I wouldn't want him unless it is in fact low on the price front. There are a number of rfas that could be had for a pretty tame number from teams trying to keep their cap in line. I'd rather a Johnsson or Kapanen from Toronto or a Gourde or Cirelli from Tampa. Those that can contribute in points or other areas from teams that have to let them go or risk losing a Point or Marner for nothing. Van has a lot of cap space. These type of deals have paid great dividents for Winnipeg and Carolina. Aqualini can pay, and there is room. Eat some deals to get some good young players in the lineup. Seems to fit with Jimbos MO.

Good POV,

This does fit with JB's MO.  TO is in a bind.  That Marleau deal is coming back to bite them, just like many of us on this board predicted.  

Tampa is also in a bind and probably still in a state of shock.  They will be having to take q good hard look at their team that got bounced in the 1st round.  

Having the cap space to eat a few contracts to aquire assets is something you could sell Aqua if the promise of the playoffs and that revenue could offset the cost.  

Edited by Phat Fingers

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Good POV,

This does fit with JB's MO.  TO is in a bind.  That Marleau deal is coming back to bite them, just like many of us on this board predicted.  

Tampa is also in a bind and probably still in a state of shock.  They will be having to take q good hard look at their team that got bounced in the 1st round.  

Having the cap space to eat a few contracts to aquire assets is something you could sell Aqua if the promise of the playoffs and that revenue could offset the cost.  

Monetizing the Canuck CAP space is a huge opportunity for Benning. Unfortunately Ericksson had a so/so World's so his tradeability is low. I do expect JB to make some kinda of splash at the Draft or slightly before. I consider Chevy in the Peg as one of the better GM's in the NHL so any Trouba deal will be a tough one. 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Monetizing the Canuck CAP space is a huge opportunity for Benning. Unfortunately Ericksson had a so/so World's so his tradeability is low. I do expect JB to make some kinda of splash at the Draft or slightly before. I consider Chevy in the Peg as one of the better GM's in the NHL so any Trouba deal will be a tough one. 

Chevy traded last year's 1st for a rental (Stastny) and looking like it will happen again this year (Hayes) unless they open up cap room to re-sign him meaning potentially losing more assets to make room of offloading some decent talent. To be clear I'm not criticizing these moves as it was an attempt to make a playoff push and that's just the way things go sometimes. But while Chevy has certainly made some good moves indeed, he's also made some moves that some of this fanbase would criticize to no end if his name was Benning.

The only problem with dealing for Trouba is if there's a bidding war and if he even wants to play here long term. There's not a whole lot of leverage for Chevy to work with as it's looking like he doesn't want to stay in Winnipeg and they don't have to room to hang on to him cap-wise.

• Cheers 1

From Russo in the Athletic (paywall) - after the failed Kessel for Zucker trade:

"Besides Pittsburgh, sources say at least some of the teams interested in Zucker include the Vancouver Canucks, Arizona Coyotes, Anaheim Ducks and, once again, the Flames."

52 minutes ago, mll said:

From Russo in the Athletic (paywall) - after the failed Kessel for Zucker trade:

"Besides Pittsburgh, sources say at least some of the teams interested in Zucker include the Vancouver Canucks, Arizona Coyotes, Anaheim Ducks and, once again, the Flames."

I wonder what they would be looking for in a potential trade with us.  They want NHL ready players and are just shuffling up their lineup a little.

It doesn’t make sense for us to change out a similar player as we don’t end up ahead.  Zucker is a good player, but not someone to blow your brains out in terms of assets.  There are several secondary level UFAs like Anders Lee who are better and cost you no assets.

If the main pieces were Hutton and Zucker, maybe... but I don’t see a fit and considering what they managed to arrange with the planned Kessel deal, they are more big game hunting.

If we use our few trade chips, I really think it should be on a top 4 young D.

Edited by Provost

All is quiet in Canucksville today. No hirings no firings no trades or escapade, no signings, maybe some whitings. 

It is so quiet, I wonder what is brewing.

1 minute ago, GarthButcher5 said:

All is quiet in Canucksville today. No hirings no firings no trades or escapade, no signings, maybe some whitings. 

It is so quiet, I wonder what is brewing.

It's the combine in Buffalo - interviews start today.   

On 5/26/2019 at 11:53 AM, Boudrias said:

There are options and opportunities to be had.  

Cap trouble is hitting the peg this year.  They didn't have the playoffs they wanted and need to decide on which player to let go of.

I have Trouba as a high probability due to his past contract squabbles.  That could be water under the bridge, but he represents the magic rainbow unicorn to Canucks fans.  A true top pairing RHD, young and would fit really well into our group age wise.

Honestly I can look at him, EK and even Myers and find a reason to get one of them to Vancouver.  

We aren't likely to get any, but that is the key position than needs to be filled IMO, far more of a hole than LW.  

We likely take our pick at 10, sign a middling FA or two and send out our fringe extras via waiver wire.  

That's not going to raise this team from the bottom of the league.  IMO a bold move is well timed this off season.   

• Upvote 1