The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] Acquiring a 2nd 1st Round pick in '19 Draft

Curious to what people think will be the price of a #15-20 range, without giving up major assets.

Does a deal like this work, i wonder ?

To Van: 1stR (#15-20)

To reciving team :  1. Tanev OR Sutter ( both @ 50% retained)

2. Josh Leivo

3. Tyler Madden OR William Lockwood

4. '19  3rd round, '20 2nd round. 

Nobody will give up top 20 1st rounder for spare parts.  They'll want quality, not quantity.

If you want a reference, Boston traded Dougie Hamilton for #15, and 2 x 2nd rounder.  That's the type of players teams are looking for a pick that high.

Until the draft order is set in stone it's tough to tell who is drafting there and whether or not they'd be willing to move their picks. And even then what makes you think anyone wants Leivo, Sutter, or Tanev for their 1st rounder? If you are giving up a 1st rounder it better be for at least a top 4 d-man or a top 6 forward. Not a bunch of bottom 6 forwards and a often injured borderline 3rd pairing d-man with some middling picks.

58 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Curious to what people think will be the price of a #15-20 range, without giving up major assets.

Does a deal like this work, i wonder ?

To Van: 1stR (#15-20)

To reciving team :  1. Tanev OR Sutter ( both @ 50% retained)

2. Josh Leivo

3. Tyler Madden

4. '19  3rd round, '20 2nd round. 

I would hope Benning does have a trade like this ready go in case Seider falls into that 15 to 20 spot.  If Seider is there, then I would be okay with JB moving a package to get him.  I'd rather keep Madden and trade Hockey Gaud though.  Hockey Gaud for that pick.  

42 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Until the draft order is set in stone it's tough to tell who is drafting there and whether or not they'd be willing to move their picks. And even then what makes you think anyone wants Leivo, Sutter, or Tanev for their 1st rounder? If you are giving up a 1st rounder it better be for at least a top 4 d-man or a top 6 forward. Not a bunch of bottom 6 forwards and a often injured borderline 3rd pairing d-man with some middling picks.

1. Tanev is a borderline 1st pairing D-man who is a bona-fide 2nd pairing D-man in any cup contender team

2. It isn't just Sutter or Tanev + Leivo for a first round, its also a 2nd round and a 3rd round pick. There are plenty of trades where 1st round picks in the mid to low 1st round are traded for 2nd pairing D/2nd/3rd line C + prospect + high ( 2-3 round) picks.I can give plenty of examples of such. 

1 hour ago, Generational.EP40 said:

I wouldn’t trade Madden alone for a pick in the 20+ range.

Would be pointless giving away a known commodity for an unknown.

Madden is a commodity that is in between unknown, and known. He looks good so far but until he plays in the NHL you can't be sure of what he is.

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

Madden is a commodity that is in between unknown, and known. He looks good so far but until he plays in the NHL you can't be sure of what he is.

He’s a year older and looks closer to being an NHL player than a year younger player would. Thus why he’s more of a known commodity.

Many people also say in a redraft Madden would be taken in the 1st round  compared to where he was actually taken in the 3rd round after the season he had this past year...you don’t just throw that away for no good reason.

16 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

He’s a year older and looks closer to being an NHL player than a year younger player would. Thus why he’s more of a known commodity.

Many people also say in a redraft Madden would be taken in the 1st round  compared to where he was actually taken in the 3rd round after the season he had this past year...you don’t just throw that away for no good reason.

Acquiring a 1st round draft pick is a great reason to trade a centerman who is currently, at BEST, 4th in our depth listings long term ( and even lower in the short term). Future centers are our position of strength ( along with future goalies). Future wingers and future franchise defensemen are our weakness. Trading a strength for a weakness is a standard practice in building a great team.

3 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Acquiring a 1st round draft pick is a great reason to trade a centerman who is currently, at BEST, 4th in our depth listings long term ( and even lower in the short term). Future centers are our position of strength ( along with future goalies). Future wingers and future franchise defensemen are our weakness. Trading a strength for a weakness is a standard practice in building a great team.

Trade Gaudette straight up to get a pick of Seider is there?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Trade Gaudette straight up to get a pick of Seider is there?

Gaudette isn't wroth a 1R straight up. He is the 'highly touted prospect' part of the whole  ' roster player + highly touted prospect + picks' equation for getting a mid-low level 1R without going for a straight swap of ' elite young player for 1R' deal. 

2 hours ago, canuckistani said:

1. Tanev is a borderline 1st pairing D-man who is a bona-fide 2nd pairing D-man in any cup contender team

2. It isn't just Sutter or Tanev + Leivo for a first round, its also a 2nd round and a 3rd round pick. There are plenty of trades where 1st round picks in the mid to low 1st round are traded for 2nd pairing D/2nd/3rd line C + prospect + high ( 2-3 round) picks.I can give plenty of examples of such. 

No, he isn’t. He brings zero offence and physicality. He’s borderline Ron Hainsey if anything. 

And I said nobody wants Tanev Leivo and a middling pick. I said a bunch of bottom 6 forwards cause both forwards you suggested are bottom 6.

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

No, he isn’t. He brings zero offence and physicality. He’s borderline Ron Hainsey if anything. 

And I said nobody wants Tanev Leivo and a middling pick. I said a bunch of bottom 6 forwards cause both forwards you suggested are bottom 6.

1. If you wish to tell me that there are 30 RHD defensemen better than Tanev in the league right now, i'd like to hear their names. A 1st pairing defenseman is simply a defenseman who is in the top 30 of his side in the league. Thats all.

2. What you said is off the mark, since it has been done many a times on the draft floor on draft day before.  A top 4 D/top 9 forward + touted prospect + picks is ONE OF the standard prices for a 1st round pick in the #15-30 range. Should you require evidence, I will be happy to provide. 

Archived