The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value] Moving up in the draft

Teams that would want Demko and Juolevi, wouldn't be the one trading away a 1st overall pick.  

Juolevi and 10th overall could probably get you down to 4th or 5th, but why?  Juolevi might turn out to be a great d-man yet, and 10th overall might pan out almost as much as the 5th overall would.  

We'll see...  

Want a top 3 pick? You're likely moving an untouchable player. Boeser, Bo, ect. No thanks. 

Don't imagine it'd be worth the cost for a player outside the top 3. After that you're often looking at the second tier.

Markstrom's 29 and likely at his peak, we're gonna need a young goaltender who can step up eventually. In spite of fan impatience Juolevi could be an NHL D yet. We finally have a piece to play with Bo and they looked good together, why not give it a longer look? We're likely to get a good player at 10 and perhaps an even better player with our 1st next year, and you know that the time we trade our 1st pick would be the time we actually win a damn lottery pick.

I'm fine with standing pat. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

This really isn't the draft to move up in unless you're moving into one of the top two slots. Other than that it's kind of a crap shoot from 3-12. Sure, there are guys ahead of others in that range (Dach ahead of Zegras, for example), but it's not a wide enough gap to give up what would be necessary to move up from where we are to 3 or 4.

Nobody is gonna bat an eyelash if the guy picked at 10 ends up being better than the guy picked 3rd.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, shiznak said:

Moving up is never worth it.

it happens so rarely I don't know if thats a definitive statement, sometimes it is like when Burkie got the Sedins but its rare. And that was a very poor quality draft year outside of the twins. 

This year there's a lot of reason to think 3-10 is a solid tier of players no matter what, so no reason to burn so many assets just to move around in that group. 

Adding in a second pick might be a different story but still probably too high. 

• Upvote 2

The last period of franchise success was only possible because we traded good pieces to get the Sedins. That was a shallow draft.

The draft is at home with a brother on the board projected to go 1st Overall.

We made big deals like this with NJD before. We can argue they shouldnt end up like Edmonton as what happens when you add mutliples 1sts to a locker room. Etc. We have good pieces being offered up and some leveragable sal cap players to compliment Hall and Hirschier and build a clear team and challenge next year.

The last carrot is our lotto 2020. I would seriously sell and then go big on shorter term D contracts to fill out the team. And draft Dmen and BigGuys 2-7th round.

• Upvote 1

I really think we need to load up because we will be getting beat on by Vegas and Seattle and SJ and Calgary 

Potentially a figured out Edmonton, keslerless Anaheim and LA without willie

Will a future starter in 5 years help?

Will Olli get injured again and lose all value?

Will we lose the lotto and pick like 13th?

I can understand NJD saying no but i really havent seen anyone argue against the point that the only other multiple 1st overall was Edmonton and they clung to them like pearls and they burned up.

11 minutes ago, HughMungus said:

I really think we need to load up because we will be getting beat on by Vegas and Seattle and SJ and Calgary 

Potentially a figured out Edmonton, keslerless Anaheim and LA without willie

Will a future starter in 5 years help?

Will Olli get injured again and lose all value?

Will we lose the lotto and pick like 13th?

I can understand NJD saying no but i really havent seen anyone argue against the point that the only other multiple 1st overall was Edmonton and they clung to them like pearls and they burned up.

It's going to cost a lot to get Jack Hughes.  Jack, like his brother Quinn, is BY FAR the most impactful player in his draft. 

I think it starts with 2019 10 OA + 2020 (our first pick) + Bo + Gaudette.  That's likely not enough either.  We would need to (maybe?) add Boeser.  It would guy us for now, but I'd still do it to get Jack Hughes.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HughMungus said:

The last carrot is our lotto 2020. I would seriously sell and then go big on shorter term D contracts to fill out the team.

Worked out awesome for Ottawa, why not then, right? 

More Food for Thought:

Isnt Hall wanting to bolt?

He got sold the story that the 1# overall pick would save the next. Season in EDM....why any different in NJ?

Honestly if it wasnt Shero I wouldnt believe we have a shot. 

JB just to hustle and accept we overpay to get to the promised land.

There is no way that we get the 1st overall pick unless we give up Elias or Brock.  Let's just forget that fantasy.  

2nd-9th pick could be acquirable if the team in question looks at the prospects and doesn't find that any of them stand out too much.  

The question is will Jim Benning look at one of those prospects and find him head and shoulders above the rest?  He very well might, and then it will be a question of who wants to trade down and where we think we can pick him up.  

I trust Jim Benning's scouting system enough that if they need to throw in a future pick to move down, I wouldn't have a problem with it.  

Here is some history of relevant transactions:  

2011: Flyers Traded Jeff Carter to Blue Jackets for Jakub Voracek, 2011 first round pick (#8-Sean Couturier), 2011 third round pick (#68-Nick Cousins) 

2012: Penguins Traded Jordan Staal to Hurricanes for Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin, 2012 first round pick (#8-Derrick Pouliot)

2013: Canucks Traded Cory Schneider to Devils for 2013 first round pick (#9-Bo Horvat)

2014: Ducks Traded Bobby Ryan to Senators for Jakob Silfverberg, Stefan Noesen, 2014 first round pick (#10-Nick Ritchie)

2016: Sens 2016 first round pick (#12-Michael McLeod) • 2016 third round pick (#80-Brandon Gignac) to Devils for • 2016 first round pick (#11-Logan Brown) 

Editor's Note:  Here it cost a 3rd round pick to move up from 11th to 12th overall. So if we're going by that, moving up from 10th to 7th or 8th would probably cost a 2nd round pick.  The vaunted 2nd round pick!  People would want Jim's head if he gave away another 2nd rounder (however I'm all for it haha). 

2017: Rangers Traded • Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta to Coyotes for • Anthony DeAngelo • 2017 first round pick (#7-Lias Andersson)

Editor's Note:  In 2009, Islanders moved up from 16th overall to 12th overall and had to give up a 3rd round and a 7th round pick.   

So after some digging around, it looks like the only way to move up is to either trade Bo Horvat or give up a 2nd rounder to move up two or three spots.  

18 hours ago, HughMungus said:

What does

10th overall pick, Pearson, Julevi, and Demko/Dipietro 

Get in return? Top 3 pick?

Can adding our 2020 1st with no lotto protection get us the 1st?

Haha...no one gives a top 3 for quantity. Plus you want to gut some of our depth (Olli & Demko) to jump up a few???

Not worth it and would not happen anyway.

NJD have Hall and Hirschier.

Does Jack Hughes give them the same advantage as a huge package? 

Adding Boeser after signing a bridge deal wouldnt be bad either. He is a real winner. Reminds me of Parise. Those Minnesota guys want a cup in that state for pride.

I guess it really comes down to if they think hes better than Nico which could very well be.

I dont think Hall stays if they draft 1st no matter how many basketball tickets they throw at him. He wants playoffs.

10th overall, Boeser, 2020 lotto 

And a sweetener

1 minute ago, HughMungus said:

Adding Boeser after signing a bridge deal wouldnt be bad either. He is a real winner. Reminds me of Parise. Those Minnesota guys want a cup in that state for pride.

Can you name a single example of that beyond Parise?