The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Canucks and Leafs are a great match in terms of potential deals

The Canucks and Leafs are a great match in terms of potential deals

Lets take a look at some facts:

1) Benning and Dubas have a great relationship.

2) The Leafs are in dire need of clearing cap space.

3) The Canucks are always looking to add young core pieces and the Acquillini group have often prioritized young players within the 20-23 range over draft picks.  

4) It would be to the Leafs’ benefit to trade one of their young players in a “sign and trade” deal before another team makes a predatory RFA offer sheet (ie  Islanders might be looking for revenge over losing Tavares).

What all of the above means?

1) The Canucks should be in a good position to land one of William Nylander or Kasperi Kaspanen from the Leafs for our 10thOA+ perhaps a minor piece (if it’s necessary).

#####-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-[Nylander or Kaspanen]

Isn’t the greatest Top 6 in the world, but is quite solid for a team that is in the current stage of development that we are in.

If the above were to happen, this is how I would do the lines:

Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-[Nylander/Kaspanen]

Roussel-Beagle-[Sutter/Eriksson]

Baertschi-Gaudette-[Goldobin/Granlund]

I know there’s a bit of a risk in slotting Virtanen on that top line LW spot, but I think Virtanen has improved enough to the point where he’s earned that spot......and that the rest of his development can come through experience up there.

29 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Stay the course,  build through the draft..

Hard no to a $10 million dollar player who disappears in the post season. 

Keep our 10th oa and draft another skilled, character piece for the core.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but the 10 million dollar amount is in real dollars right?  The actual cap hit is around 6.9 million.  

Nevertheless, Nylander’s contract is a front loaded deal.   Nylander’s contract wouldn't hinder us in any way, in terms of being able to reup our RFA core.

7 minutes ago, 6string said:

Not at all interested in Nylander and his salary!

Kapanen is most definitley the Leaf to pursue!

Fair enough about Nylander, but keep in mind that he entered this season mid-season.....and didn’t have the luxury of a training camp.  Other players were already in mid season form by the time he started the season.

With that in mind, I think it’s quite shortsighted to judge Nylander based solely on his performance this season.   Nylander’s style of game would mesh fairly well with Horvat’s.

But yes - if Kaspanen can be had, I’d rather target him.  I’m not sure if the Leafs would be so willing to move him however.

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

What's with the obsession with Nylander on this board? We dont want him, and certainly not for 6.9mil per season. 

Perhaps, but I still believe that this season was an anomaly rather than the norm (in terms of his production).   Nylander, under a full training camp, is a 20+ goal scorer and will likely trend upwards.  That’s pretty decent 2nd line production and he’d a slot in nicely on a 2nd line with Horvat and Pearson.

I agree that Kaspanen would be a better player to target, but I think it would cost a lot more than a 2019 10thOA.   2019 10thOA for Nylander is very doable and realistic imo.  

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

3 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Tanev could be a great fit there.  And the Canucks need to give their back end a new look.  I say roll the dice and get a deal done.  

Yeah I wouldn’t trade our 10th overall for nylander but tanev + I sure would consider. I might even consider adding in baertchi and taking on that terrible zaitzev for the right price. 

Tanev + Sven for nylander+ zaitzev + 2019 2nd + 2019 4th + 2020 2nd.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah I wouldn’t trade our 10th overall for nylander but tanev + I sure would consider. I might even consider adding in baertchi and taking on that terrible zaitzev for the right price. 

Tanev + Sven for nylander+ zaitzev + 2019 2nd + 2019 4th + 2020 2nd.  

Zaitsev sucks and is overrated.  

Tanev has much more value to us than what we’d be able to get in return.    No one would want Baertschi unless there was significant retention on our part. 

31 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He was also a lazy piece of **** in every playoff series before this year.  The guy simply doesn't care about winning and refuses to play the 20 foot game necessary to be a legitimate NHLer.  Green would have in the pressbox for months because he won't stop floating.

Oh ok fair enough.  I wasn’t aware that he had this history.  If that’s the case, then yeah.......I’d pass.  

Make a play for Kaspanen instead.

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Zaitsev sucks and is overrated.  

I know which is why they would pay us a good amount of assets to move him

Tanev has much more value to us than what we’d be able to get in return.

I don’t see it that way. Despite only being 29 injuries have slowed him down and he’s likely only got a handful of good years left. He’s also only got one more year left before turning UFA and likely asking for a raise and/or long term deal. I don’t think considering where the Canucks are that they should be looking at that. 

Canucks are in the midst of the rebuild and young futures is what we need the most. Which is why it doesn’t make sense in trading our 10th overall for a pieces that’s not a core player. Nylander is a great complimentary player, not a core player. 

No one would want Baertschi unless there was significant retention on our part. 

Sven’s not overpriced. Sven when healthy is a proven top 6 point producer. If leafs are dumping nylander they are going to want to replace that skill. Baertschi is a poor mans version of him but he’s also only making 3.3 which really manageable. When he’s not healthy he’s on IR which doesn’t affect cap. So I see zero reason why retention is in order. 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He was also a lazy piece of **** in every playoff series before this year.  The guy simply doesn't care about winning and refuses to play the 20 foot game necessary to be a legitimate NHLer.  Green would have in the pressbox for months because he won't stop floating.

He’s really not that bad. He had a bad turn over on the one goal this year but he’s been pretty effective in the playoffs in previous season.

He’s 23 years old today and has 162 points in 239 regular season games. He’s also got 11 points in 20 playoffs games. For reference at the same age Daniel sedin only had 97 points in 233 regular season games as well as only 10 points in 24 playoff games. 

His 200 ft game is a lot better than people give him credit for. Is he Bo good, of course not but he’s not a Goldobin type liability and it’s why Babcock only had him 49% ozone starts with 51.4 Corsi. This year his ozone starts went up in order to get him going after a slow start but his corsi was also tops on the team. 

So really your claims are purely your own bias against the player, as the stats don’t back up your opinion. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He’s really not that bad. He had a bad turn over on the one goal this year but he’s been pretty effective in the playoffs in previous season.

He’s 23 years old today and has 162 points in 239 regular season games. He’s also got 11 points in 20 playoffs games. For reference at the same age Daniel sedin only had 97 points in 233 regular season games as well as only 10 points in 24 playoff games. 

His 200 ft game is a lot better than people give him credit for. Is he Bo good, of course not but he’s not a Goldobin type liability and it’s why Babcock only had him 49% ozone starts with 51.4 Corsi. This year his ozone starts went up in order to get him going after a slow start but his corsi was also tops on the team. 

So really your claims are purely your own bias against the player, as the stats don’t back up your opinion. 

Considering the Leafs need to shed Cap, I was thinking a trade like this:

Tanev + Sutter for Nylander + Marleau + Zaitsev

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Considering the Leafs need to shed Cap, I was thinking a trade like this:

Tanev + Sutter for Nylander + Marleau + Zaitsev

Yah why the hell are the Canucks giving up a first in this scenario?

If we are taking on salary cap to save the leafs from themselves I don’t see why we would pay a premium for the honour of making them a better run franchise. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1