The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Canucks and Leafs are a great match in terms of potential deals

5 hours ago, Drakrami said:

What's with the obsession with Nylander on this board? We dont want him, and certainly not for 6.9mil per season. 

The same one that was with Milan Lucic.

And Evander Kane.

One player gets 'picked' and becomes the myopic focus, ignoring current positional status on the team "oh just unload X" and handwaving any/all negatives about the player away.

I'm certainly happy we didn't 'get' (stuck with) Milan Lucic.

And I'm happy we won't get stuck with Nylander. If anybody has a boat, invite Nylander. He floats so much that if the boat sinks, you can just grab him as the life preserver.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mpt said:

I’d rather try to get Ferland or Panarin

If I had to choose between the two, I’d go with Ferland.  Panarin will cost around 10 million.  

Look at the most recent Stanley Cup winners:

-Chicago

-Boston

-LA

-Pittsburgh

-Washington

All of the above teams had cap friendly contracts to their core players.

Look at the current teams that are in the playoffs:

-Dallas

-St.Louis

-San Jose

-Colorado

-Carolina

-NYI

-Columbus

-Boston

All cost controlled cap friendly cap hits.

In today’s NHL, I would argue that it’s not necessarily about which teams have the best players.  It’s about which teams have the most players which provide the biggest “bang for their bucks”.....which then allows for said teams to invest heavier in depth.

There’s a reason why Crosby’s and Ovechkin’s teams didn’t win cups between 2010-2015 despite being the two best players.  During that time period, their cap hits were inappropriately too high.   There’s a reason why Chicago and LA declined once Toews, Kane, and Kopitar received their 10+ million dollar deals.

There’s a reason why McDavid’s Oilers have only gotten as far as the 2nd round during McDavid’s time in Edmonton.......and there’s a reason why the Leafs failed yet again to advance past the first round.

Cost effective cap hits.   Period.

Ferland’s value might be a little low right now, but I’m willing to bet that he has some good years left in him.   I think he’d be worth investing in if I had to choose between the two players.   For the record though, I’d likely pass on Ferland. 

I’d opt for the following lines:

Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-[Nylander/Kaspanen]

Roussel-Beagle-[Sutter/Eriksson/Motte]

Baertechi-Gaudette-[Goldobin/Granlund]

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-[Stralman/Schenn]

Markstrom

Demko

The presence of Stralman can possibly make Tanev expendable should the Canucks decide to go this route later in the year.

I dont think a deal can be made.

Leafs are really sour about us denying them a SCF

They even trolled us with Luongo for awhile.

Small pieces only. Like leivo. Torontos Anderson would be a STEAL.

Maybe 

Tanev and Gaudette

For Anderson

On 4/30/2019 at 6:58 AM, Bure1010 said:

First of all every gm in the nhl knows who the leafs need to resign. Roughly how much each player will demand. And how much cap they have available and how much they’ll need to move out to resign or replace said players. On top of that nylander stock is probably at the lowest it will ever be and a lot of Gms will be shying away from a player like nylander at that cap hit and the year he had. Now in saying all of that nylander would cost peanuts to get out of Toronto not the 10 oa. If it was the 10 oa liljegrin would be coming back our way as well. Probably get him for a 2020 2nd round pick maybe not even that expensive just cause of the relief it would give the leafs. And it’s funny everyone talking about him being lazy and useless and a bum. But these are the same people that were screaming for goldy to get more ice time and yes goldy is way cheaper but nylander has proven he can produce. Did nylander have a horrible year? Yes he did. When he first came back he was on the top line and struggled mightily but everyone was in mid season form and he was still in exhibition form. By the time he finally got his legs he was relegated to a 3rd line checking role which he ain’t built for that. Having him play the wing with bo and Pearson 2 great 2 way players that can actually play a little rough I think would be an amazing 2nd line. Then at end of games protecting a lead throw Rousell or Leivo on that line in defensive roles. Just saying nylander would be a steal. 

I put this in another post as it’s about the same topic. But helping Toronto relieve salary doesn’t mean they’re gonna get full value for there assets. Not saying that getting rid of nylander is the only way but he ain’t gonna be worth our 10 oa. Plus hell no to taking Zaitsev. 

9 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Fair enough about Nylander, but keep in mind that he entered this season mid-season.....and didn’t have the luxury of a training camp.  Other players were already in mid season form by the time he started the season.

With that in mind, I think it’s quite shortsighted to judge Nylander based solely on his performance this season.   Nylander’s style of game would mesh fairly well with Horvat’s.

But yes - if Kaspanen can be had, I’d rather target him.  I’m not sure if the Leafs would be so willing to move him however.

Pillowy soft players like Nylander are a psychological burden for the team, look at how many times Dougie Hamilton has moved and was again rumored to be on the move this past trading deadline...

Meanwhile Goldobin was getting that message from the coaching staff by closing out the season in the press box.

15 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Fair enough about Nylander, but keep in mind that he entered this season mid-season.....and didn’t have the luxury of a training camp.  Other players were already in mid season form by the time he started the season.

With that in mind, I think it’s quite shortsighted to judge Nylander based solely on his performance this season.   Nylander’s style of game would mesh fairly well with Horvat’s.

But yes - if Kaspanen can be had, I’d rather target him.  I’m not sure if the Leafs would be so willing to move him however.

No thanks to Willy Nilly. And you better believe Kapanen is on the block they have no money to sign him.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

If I had to choose between the two, I’d go with Ferland.  Panarin will cost around 10 million.  

Look at the most recent Stanley Cup winners:

-Chicago

-Boston

-LA

-Pittsburgh

-Washington

All of the above teams had cap friendly contracts to their core players.

Look at the current teams that are in the playoffs:

-Dallas

-St.Louis

-San Jose

-Colorado

-Carolina

-NYI

-Columbus

-Boston

All cost controlled cap friendly cap hits.

In today’s NHL, I would argue that it’s not necessarily about which teams have the best players.  It’s about which teams have the most players which provide the biggest “bang for their bucks”.....which then allows for said teams to invest heavier in depth.

There’s a reason why Crosby’s and Ovechkin’s teams didn’t win cups between 2010-2015 despite being the two best players.  During that time period, their cap hits were inappropriately too high.   There’s a reason why Chicago and LA declined once Toews, Kane, and Kopitar received their 10+ million dollar deals.

There’s a reason why McDavid’s Oilers have only gotten as far as the 2nd round during McDavid’s time in Edmonton.......and there’s a reason why the Leafs failed yet again to advance past the first round.

Cost effective cap hits.   Period.

Ferland’s value might be a little low right now, but I’m willing to bet that he has some good years left in him.   I think he’d be worth investing in if I had to choose between the two players.   For the record though, I’d likely pass on Ferland. 

I’d opt for the following lines:

Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-[Nylander/Kaspanen]

Roussel-Beagle-[Sutter/Eriksson/Motte]

Baertechi-Gaudette-[Goldobin/Granlund]

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-[Stralman/Schenn]

Markstrom

Demko

The presence of Stralman can possibly make Tanev expendable should the Canucks decide to go this route later in the year.

So what you're saying is that we should sign EP to 12m x8 and then trade him to a divisional rival. 

What the Canucks need is one more 20+ goal scorer,

suggest sign Connely,trade for Kapanen or Johnson at a reasonably cost 

Panarin will cost Canucks 10+ to costly

Connely,Peterssen,Boeser

Pearson,Horvat,Johnsson

Roussel,Gaudette,McEwen

Motte,Beagle,Virtanen

(Granlund,Goldobin)

buyout or trade Ericsson after paying his bonus

Rafferty,Edler,Tanev,Stecher,Hughes,Shenn,Teves,UFA

git er done JB

6 hours ago, hammertime said:

So what you're saying is that we should sign EP to 12m x8 and then trade him to a divisional rival. 

No.

We need to sign EP regardless.  My hope is that EP cares more about winning which would then prompt him to take a discount of some kind.   

My hope is that we can create a situation that was similar to LA and Chicago between 2010-2015 (ie cost controlled and cap friendly cap hits to the top players), but I honestly don’t know how realistic my wish is.

Carolina seems like it’s on a good path.  It will be interesting to see what Sebastian Aho gets.   If he “buys in” and takes a discount, maybe other top stars like EP, etc. will follow suit.

The way I see it right now however.......teams that have players that earn too high a percentage of the cap, simply do not have the depth to win a cup.  These teams often play the role of the perennial bridesmaid come playoff time.  If EP gets 12 million, while guys like Boeser and Hughes also get “monster contracts,” then I see this current team basically achieving the same level of success as the WCE era (2nd round) unless the cap continues to increase at a ridiculous level.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

I really dont see a deal. Unless its next year to protect Seattle from swiping assets.

We need D to survive in the west. Just look at the teams that get eliminated.

I would not sign any of Torontos except Hainsy. 2.4mil at 2 years or 3mil at 1

Wasnt Kapanen the main piece for Kessel? They keep that imo.