The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion]Jeff Skinner

1059764192.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of chasing Skinner.  Could be a great fit with either EP or Horvat.  

But do you think his production will dramatically fall off at 30+ years of age?  Is it worth the gamble?

hes 26 by the way. This guy is talented, been putting in goals every season, I dont see a drop off, worse case is a 20 goal 50 point guy. 

But for something northward of 7mil per season, i dont want to. The inflated salaries are not sustainable, it's going to come crashing down soon enough. 

• Upvote 1

I have a couple concerns here. When yhe going got tough for buffalo, he was nowhere to be found. Amd although he was healthy this year, he has had concussion issues similar ti baerstchi. 

Edited by 73 Percent

He’s definitely a top six winger that wouldn’t cost us anything in a trade, just cap space.  As others have already mentioned he comes with concussion issues and some risk but who doesn’t come with some injury concerns these days.  The former Calder winner also has some miles on him, but is still young and whomever signs him will get him through most of his prime with maybe some decline the last couple years.   He’s also showed some resurgence or improvement before this year...an indicator that this year could be his new normal and not a one off.  Playing with Eichel helped no doubt.  

This might be one of the better ideas I’ve seen on here, of course it all comes down to cap hit and term, something in the 7 x 7 would be ok.  Rather have him than Nylander anyday.

51 minutes ago, IBatch said:

of course it all comes down to cap hit and term, something in the 7 x 7 would be ok.

If he was only going to cost 7x7, the Sabres would have signed him already.  Guarantee he's looking for at least 8.5 x 6 or 7.  In my opinion, he's not worth 8.5.

• Upvote 2

The rumour about why he was traded by Carolina is that he wanted to go to the Leafs as UFA and they knew they couldn't sign him.  

Obviously the Leafs aren't in a position to bring him in.  Buffalo or Detroit would make most sense if he wants to stay close to home.  

Would rather have Panarin but wouldn't be mad if he got signed here.  Not sure many other UFA wingers are worth pursuing at this point of rebuild.

9 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

I'd rather Ferklund to help create room for Pettersson and Boeser, and be there as a bit of a physical deterrent in case the going gets rough. 

*Lee or Nelson for me.  Skinner with Pearson and Bo could be good, albeit overpriced

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

*Lee or Nelson for me.  Skinner with Pearson and Bo could be good, albeit overpriced

Lee is good too. I think we could use his leadership on our team and he would probably fit well on a line with Petey and Boeser. On paper anyways...

I think hes a great fit with Bo their rush game would be legendary. But at what cost if they can get a deal under 8 I'm for it anything over that and there will be cap complications in the future and we end up loosing good players for scraps.

Conflicted. 

Is only a bad move if its the only significant imo.

I would match whatever Boeser gets maybe  less term.

But then we HAVE to sign D or something else. With the way our games are called and how that Calgary rivalry is going hes gunna get a career ending injury in a canuck officiated game