The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Botchford Passes Away

Rate this topic

Provost

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Wow this is shocking. He was quite young. He was a very negative writer and I never enjoyed his work, but I would never wish that upon him. Feel for his friends and family.

I didn’t like some of his work but I’m shocked right now. RIP. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Some heart conditions don't have any symptoms prior to needing emergency help.  Something like an aortic aneurysm for example.  That's how John Ritter and Alan Thicke passed away.  No symptoms at all and their aneurysm suddenly dissected or ruptured and they bled to death.  I would advise all men over the age of 40 to get an echocardiogram done to look for an aneurysm or a valve problem.  I doubt Jason had a heart attack as he would have had chest pains and other symptoms prior.

Not true.  My father is almost 80 and only got light headed, no chest pains.  Fortunately he thought it was odd enough and went to get checked out and found out a vein they call the "widow-maker" was 99% blocked.  They call it the widow-maker because it's a vein that's commonly the cause of sudden deadly heart attacks that often present without symptoms until your dead.  Needless to say, they opened him up and gave him a bypass.  Actually a triple bypass since they also found more narrowing, just not as bad as the deadliest one.

• Upvote 2

I'm in total shock right now. A fine young sports journalist passes away from heart failure at age 48. Good people are dying young. Not fair at all.

RIP Jason and many thanks for all your great and brutally honest Canucks and sports reporting. 

Heartfelt condolences, prayers and thoughts to his family, friends and colleagues.

• Like 3

It always hits home when someone around my age with a young family passes, this news is shocking and so sad.  At the end of the day we follow our team and this sport for entertainment and agree or disagree with Botch he added to the entertainment.  RIP.

36 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If you are not a subscribed member of The Athletic, they have permanently unlocked all of Jason Botchford's articles at The Athletic from this past year.

You can view it here:

https://theathletic.com/author/jason-botchford/

I challenge anyone that says they usually, or always disagreed with Jason's opinions, read some of his articles here now that they are free, if you never could pay to subscribe to the Athletic, and put down a specific quote in one of his articles that you disagree with. Because all I have heard is name-calling and juvenile insults, rarely if ever have I read a post where he is actually quoted, and had any of his opinions argued against in a respectful knowledgeable way.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

I challenge anyone that says they usually, or always disagreed with Jason's opinions, read some of his articles here now that they are free, if you never could pay to subscribe to the Athletic, and put down a specific quote in one of his articles that you disagree with. Because all I have heard is name-calling and juvenile insults, rarely if ever have I read a post where he is actually quoted, and had any of his opinions argued against in a respectful knowledgeable way.

I would consider doing this, but I don't feel it is appropriate in this thread....

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

I'm shocked and saddened. I will miss him.

Regardless of others feelings on his views I always enjoyed listening to him on the radio or reading his "Provies".

Thanks Jason for all the times you made me laugh with you. 

Edited by rawkdrummer
  • Cheers 1

Shocking and sad news.  I liked Botch...he was colourful and opinionated, entertaining.  As a long time, frustrated and disappointed Canucks fan, when he ripped the Canucks, I felt like he was speaking for me.  RIP man.  Sincere condolences to his family.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

I thought this was some gross trolling post when I saw this, but unfortunately it is not.

Most of the times,I didn't quite agree with his opinions, but one thing I can agree on is that he was just as passionate for the Canucks if not more. 

RIP and condolences to his family.

• Upvote 1