The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Botchford Passes Away

Rate this topic

Provost

Loved the Provies and Athletties. Such a huge loss for the community and his huge impact will be missed for sure. Like him or not he was a prominent member of the Canucks media. Rest in Peace Jason Botchford.

• Upvote 1

May not have agreed with his takes more times than not but he was a great personality and kept things interesting even if it was 98% personal speculation. The guy was very imaginative to say the least.

Sad that his young children lost their father at such a young age. RIP Botch 

• Like 1

I felt like Tony Gallagher he was reporting for the wrong subject matter. He would have been far better reporting on regular news instead of sports. Drives home enjoy life. Because we are all mortal. Sorry to hear for his family and friends.

Like others, I wasn't a fan of his work - but mostly, I wasn't a fan of his technique.  Instead of reporting objectively and pointing out through fact verification or research - he often wrote commentary specifically designed to incite/enrage readers/listeners.  Yes, I understand this is a commonly used technique specifically meant to get publicity/reaction, but I'm simply not a fan of that type of reporting or commentary.  I always read his work and asked myself why he was trying to play the role of WWE 'bad-guy' in the media?  Maybe others really appreciated his willingness to say the 'unpopular' thing in this market, and I get that too - maybe it was just a 'shtick' and he was an awesome dude outside of the media? 

It's unfortunate, as mentioned previously, that his family and friends have lost a meaningful person in their lives - for that I have empathy for them. 

Enjoy life, you never know.......

45 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Canuck fans had been spoiled to have a guy like Botchford covering the team for all these years. His passion for the team/city will be missed he was the voice of the fans in the media. 

if you listen to other radio stations in Calgary and Edmonton for example, they dont have a guy like him. He was unique, funny, and in touch with the fans. 

His Provies/Athletties was must read every Canuck post game, i know he was very excited about the future of the Canucks and it sucks that he wont get a chance to see the team be great again. We're going to feel his loss in this offseason and long summer days :(

Great point. As a Canucks fan living in Calgary I was trying to think of a Botch equivalent in this market to explain the loss to my colleagues here - and there just isn't one.  Botch was one of a kind, and a true loss. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I heard this while streaming 1040 in Mexico this morning. I sought out some of my BC friends here and told them. We are all stunned.

I didn’t have to agree with every he said or wrote (I didn’t) to enjoy his work (I did). Canuck coverage will be GREATLY diminished without him. But of course that pales in comparison to the void left in his family. 

I don’t really want to speculate if any of his lifestyle habits led to his passing or not...but several years ago I was going down a dark path in terms of my health and I made some drastic changes (career wise  (I retired), exercise and diet). Botch was just a year older than me and I have chills thinking what may have been my fate if I had kept to the status quo. So young....it’s so wrong.

To everyone here..,please look after yourselves. Life....in particular life spent with family and friends is a precious gift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1