The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Would you be fine with Panarin or nothing this free agency?

[poll] Would you be fine with Panarin or nothing this free agency?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looking around this years free agent class, I'm starting to think that almost no one is worth the inevitable overpayment that will be needed to land someone, that is other than Panarin. 

Panarin imo is the only true game-breaker player of the bunch that has a chance to play that way for years to come. 

Erik Karlsson would obviously be an immediate right side upgrade, but how much time does that ankle have left on it? 

Of all the rest, including Myers, the 2nd tier F group, I don't see the cap implications as worth the upgrades.

I still think Jim can and should look at the trade market, but for this free agency I'd like it if he went big or went home. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Only UFA this class is EK.  He’s clearly the one guy, who would make the most impact to our team.  Panarin is a great player, but he’s a winger.  

that ankle worries me... how long can he really play? plus I think SJS are going to make a solid pitch for him.

Panarin gives us a legit top 6 playing with either Petey or Bo. Yes we need better defence but I think we can do well in the trade market with so many stacked teams hitting cap walls. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Only UFA this class is EK.  He’s clearly the one guy, who would make the most impact to our team.  Panarin is a great player, but he’s a winger.  

We do need wingers.  He slides into a really big hole in our lineup.

I think Mark Stone set the market.   Would you do it for Mark Stone money?  

• Upvote 1

Sign a tough free agent middle 6 forward or a veteran middle 6 forward like Pomminville, Vanek or Filpula. And a veteran defensemen short term like Orpik or Polak that can be stop gaps for prospects like Juolevi, Brisebois, Rafferty, Woo etc.

Stay away from anyone commanding 6 or more years at 6+Million.

• Upvote 2

Just now, DrJockitch said:

We do need wingers.  He slides into a really big hole in our lineup.

I think Mark Stone set the market.   Would you do it for Mark Stone money?  

Yes.  But I think Panarin will command more than Stone.  

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that ankle worries me... how long can he really play? plus I think SJS are going to make a solid pitch for him.

Panarin gives us a legit top 6 playing with either Petey or Bo. Yes we need better defence but I think we can do well in the trade market with so many stacked teams hitting cap walls. 

Id rather offer sheet a Kapanen or Johnsson (or both) then sign Panarin

• Cheers 1

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

interesting. I kind of view offer sheets like trades since there's a defined player cost but that would certainly stack up the offence. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes.  But I think Panarin will command more than Stone.  

Stones a decent comparable tho, very similar production: https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_compare.php?players[]=4256&players[]=2898&period=2018-2019%3AR%3A99

Stone brings a physical element Panarin doesn't, but damn Panarin is creative and for a small player unafraid of the net. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Stones a decent comparable tho, very similar production: https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_compare.php?players[]=4256&players[]=2898&period=2018-2019%3AR%3A99

Stone brings a physical element Panarin doesn't, but damn Panarin is creative and for a small player unafraid of the net. 

Panarin is great.  He’s more like a Mitch Marner.  I think he’s going to get 11 million.  For myself, I’d rather have EK for similar dollars, because, IMO EK being a D man, can influence the game more. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

interesting. I kind of view offer sheets like trades since there's a defined player cost but that would certainly stack up the offence. 

yep, both have room to grow, but Kapanen had 20G 24A last year so imagine slipping him on Bo's wing and Johnsson on Petey's.

Johnsson-Petey-Boeser    

Baertschi-Bo-Kapanen

Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Then we give up picks and get lesser players.  I would prefer to get a player for just cap space.  Panarin would be fantastic with Bo and Pearson.

12 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Sign a tough free agent middle 6 forward or a veteran middle 6 forward like Pomminville, Vanek or Filpula. And a veteran defensemen short term like Orpik or Polak that can be stop gaps for prospects like Juolevi, Brisebois, Rafferty, Woo etc.

Stay away from anyone commanding 6 or more years at 6+Million.

Brett Connolly is probably the best depth winger UFA available.

• Upvote 2

I don't think we should do anything. Stay the course. It's not exciting, but I'd rather be boring and win than be Tampa Bay.

We just watched Edmonton and Toronto utterly screw themselves over through signing a massive free agent deal. I'd rather learn from their mistakes than repeat them here.

Karlsson is the only game breaker on the list, but he'll want too much term for his 'body'. If he'd do a 1 year 'max' deal to make the money while we have the cap, and renew for 4 more 'mid season' at a more paletable cap deal to keep building a solid team, I'd go for that.

He's going to want 10-11 for 7 though, doughty+ money. And someone will give it to him. I hope it isn't us. It'll be a Marleau deal where the last year or two just skunk a team.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dixon Ward said:

Then we give up picks and get lesser players.  I would prefer to get a player for just cap space.  Panarin would be fantastic with Bo and Pearson.

Yes but then you are locked in to an aging player taking a very large chunk of your cap when you need to resign all our high end young players. Boeser, Petey, Hughes, Demko etc will all be needing large contracts soon. Id rather have a deep offensive team then rely on a few players to win. 

If Panarins offence drops off then he is untradeable. But, young players can grow with the team and retain far more trade value going forward as well. If we were a contender right now there might be a different way of thought but we aren't even playoff competitive yet in a weak conference

• Upvote 2

I want to get our core players signed before looking at free agents. Almost all free agents get over paid, so its the worst way to build a team. Any big name FA should be the final piece added to a cup contender. Not how you fill your roster trying to make the playoffs. Just my 2cents 

• Cheers 1