The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Would you be fine with Panarin or nothing this free agency?

[poll] Would you be fine with Panarin or nothing this free agency?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Panarin is great.  He’s more like a Mitch Marner.  I think he’s going to get 11 million.  For myself, I’d rather have EK for similar dollars, because, IMO EK being a D man, can influence the game more. 

11 sets the bar higher for Petey too. But I don't know if he'll actually command that. 9 for sure. 

I do see your point tho, just have too many concerns over injury and age with EK. Although pirate pack night would be fun. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

11 sets the bar higher for Petey too. But I don't know if he'll actually command that. 9 for sure. 

I do see your point tho, just have too many concerns over injury and age with EK. Although pirate pack night would be fun. 

Oh God Jimmy, that’s a good one.  EK does look like Johnny Dep in those pirate movies!  :lol::lol:

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Only UFA this class is EK.  He’s clearly the one guy, who would make the most impact to our team.  Panarin is a great player, but he’s a winger.  

We need more good wingers BB is our only Legit winger that we can rely on playing more than 70 game and be a scoring threat.

you actually think he wouldn’t massively help us like MASSIVELY!

Just now, Dats hockey said:

We need more good wingers BB is our only Legit winger that we can rely on playing more than 70 game and be a scoring threat.

you actually think he wouldn’t massively help us like MASSIVELY!

Is the help Panarin provides worth the cost of 11 million, and a complete NMC?  EK would command the same, but provide more.  

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Panarin is great.  He’s more like a Mitch Marner.  I think he’s going to get 11 million.  For myself, I’d rather have EK for similar dollars, because, IMO EK being a D man, can influence the game more. 

Is it just me or does anyone else think Marner is only worth 11.5m because of the Matthews and Taverse’s contracts and the Toronto market

Edit: I can think of 20 players in the league that get paid a lot less than that I’d prefer over marner 

Edited by Dats hockey
  • Upvote 1

Browse this site

https://www.capfriendly.com/

Go to each team.  See who is coming up in 2, 3 years' time.  Going ALL IN this year makes very little sense from a rebuilding standpoint.  We should let these young guys scratch and claw their way up, instead of injecting bonafide talent (ala Toronto) and end up finishing too high too fast.

In the year end presser, Benning gave us a timeframe for when this team will be adding expensive side pieces.  When the core is 25-31.

Side Note: Name any teams from the last decade that won the cup by building around the most expensive UFAs?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Dats hockey said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think Marner is only worth 11.5m because of the Matthews and Taverse’s contracts and the Toronto market

More so it’s the 10 million the Leafs gave to Wee Willie this season.  Marner is clearly their best player for driving offence.  He’s going to get paid. 

Panarin is that level of player.  Yes, he’s great, but can a team afford to have two forwards making 11 million, and still win a Cup?  I’d rather get EK for 11, and have Pettersson be our 11 million dollar center.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is the help Panarin provides worth the cost of 11 million, and a complete NMC?  EK would command the same, but provide more.  

I still don’t think Panarin get 11m I’d say he’s somewhere in the ball park of 7-9m sure he’s a great offensive player but he’s not super young and doesn’t play in all situation. But he is hell of a play drive.

Not many team that want to stay competitive will throw 11m at him

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

More so it’s the 10 million the Leafs gave to Wee Willie this season.  Marner is clearly their best player for driving offence.  He’s going to get paid. 

Panarin is that level of player.  Yes, he’s great, but can a team afford to have two forwards making 11 million, and still win a Cup?  I’d rather get EK for 11, and have Pettersson be our 11 million dollar center.  

No doubt in mind Pettersson is worth that but I really hope Jim Benning doesn’t hand out contract like that often it difficult to build depth with contracts like that

2 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

No doubt in mind Pettersson is worth that but I really hope Jim Benning doesn’t hand out contract like that often it difficult to build depth with contracts like that

I totally agree, and that’s why (if Panarin gets 11, which I think he will considering other players’ recent contracts) I’d rather spend that cap on EK.  It would be great to have Panarin too, but (like you) I don’t know if a team can win the Cup with an unbalanced roster.

never been a big fan of pursuing the big names in free agency. They always get more than their worth and mess up the Cap.

If you give Artie 9.5 Million, how do you give Petey, Brock or Bo less?

I agree with @xereau Stay the course and look at adding in a couple of years, when Hughes has established himself.

• Upvote 1

I do think we need to add something significant this year, not a fan of EK, as I think he's just going to sign the biggest deal he can find. Try to sign Panarin is number one option, try to bring back Tram if we can, I'd be OK with trading for PK, if it's within reason. Beyond that, be wise, but we need to make a splash, add some horsepower on offense and defense and also get rid of a few contracts.

Don't forget that there is a new CBA coming. Possibly a strike.  But that aside, there may be new contract options, new ways of dealing with cap, etc, that will be locked in with existing contracts.  But after, who knows?  Maybe you can sign a guy to HUGE money, and if they do not produce, cut them, no strings attached (as it should be).  Being stuck with anchors is possibly the worst thing about the current CBA.

1 hour ago, brownky said:

I don't think we should do anything. Stay the course. It's not exciting, but I'd rather be boring and win than be Tampa Bay.

We just watched Edmonton and Toronto utterly screw themselves over through signing a massive free agent deal. I'd rather learn from their mistakes than repeat them here.

Karlsson is the only game breaker on the list, but he'll want too much term for his 'body'. If he'd do a 1 year 'max' deal to make the money while we have the cap, and renew for 4 more 'mid season' at a more paletable cap deal to keep building a solid team, I'd go for that.

He's going to want 10-11 for 7 though, doughty+ money. And someone will give it to him. I hope it isn't us. It'll be a Marleau deal where the last year or two just skunk a team.

This is ridiculous, what do you even mean by that? By any logical measure, Tampa Bay destroyed the league this year. It's not their fault the playoffs are a different animal.

I'd be down for Panarin obviously. But if we miss on him I would also shoot for Lee. I could see him working well in our top 6. He brings leadership and plays the game the right away. I don't think he leaves NY, but I would be happy if he came here. I would also be down for Connolly as a middle 6, as long as the length is reasonable. As for D, it's Stralman or bust. Short term deal on him would be an upgrade on our weakest position and allow us to trade him for assets near the end of his contract.

Maybe Lee?

But really I think I'm ok with holding on to our current crop and cap space as it is.  The free agency frenzy will see Myers get better than $6.25 million which tells you what others will cost.

I'm ok doing nothing

• Cheers 1