The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Would you be fine with Panarin or nothing this free agency?

[poll] Would you be fine with Panarin or nothing this free agency?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Panarin and Karlsson are obviously the dream signings, but it’s still a pretty decent FA class outside of them. I’d be very interested in Lee, Duchene, Nelson, Skinner etc., if we can’t get Panarin. 

Panarin yes, EK No

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Nice work Jimmy.

I voted Panarin all in.  Because, and I have posted elsewhere, there is no player who brings such dynamic, elite, speed, elite agility and puck skills. Puck skills including both passing and shooting. Which is rare. But its the speed, the agility which is my focus.

These are similar skills to Quinn Hughes. And therein lies the rationale. It could double down on something exciting we already have building. Potentially make us unstoppable. The speed, the ability to play up tempo. A stretch pass option. Which would open a currently clogged middle for both Pettersson & Hughes to haul the puck up on a secondary break. That type of elite speed & puck skills could immediately make Quinn Hughes substantially more dangerous.

These are similar skills & speed, although I classify the Alien as evasive with his balance & movement versus agile, as Pettersson.  Panarin has puck skills like Boeser, close to his shot. But even better passing, so also great play making skills like Pettersson. Pettersson & Boeser also offering lethal shots, this could be the top line in the NHL. Triple down if there is such a thing?

Now, I am not actually of the belief we should not go for other players if we cannot get Panarin? I do believe he should be the single primary target, our first option, the first player we look at. I also would like Karlsson? But I perceive Panarin will command $9.5 or $10 mill, Karlsson $12. Karlsson more an injury risk, a higher payday. At cost & risk, Panarin the #1 target. The clear target, the guy who can help the Canucks more than any other player IMO.

Karlsson, maybe #2?

I have options I am keen to pursue if unsuccessful.  They all involve speed! I'm interested in Eberle! I'd pay decent quid, but recall he did not score 80 points with McDavid? With Tavares? Barzal…  But, does offer us that stretch pass, a pretty good passer and 60 points? I'm more interested in Jeff Skinner. Same logic, elevated his game with Eichel more than Eberle. Has speed! Would his passing help Boeser? Petey would get lots of assists. Skinner would cost more than Eberle. Eberle a western Canadian kid, more likely to come?I wish Zucarello was a LW not right? He's older, but faster than either of the two above. Maybe even up with Panarin, albeit not as good. He also played for AV, and played puck pressure defence like Burrows and Hansen used to. His speed was a weapon offensively & defensively, improved the whole team who went to a cup final. And would be less expensive than Eberle or Skinner. Does pass & score pretty well. Might actually become Horvats winger, which would not be a bad thing? And his speed a weapon! He is a left, Zuccarello could also be a LW for Petey?  He is my #2 target, hoping he might also escape the huge dollars and term.

Leivo Horvat Zuccarello  >> 2knd line?

3 years at $5.6 million for Zucarello?   

yeah i can go for that approach, as long as who we're getting is on a level you can think of as elite or a game changer, and many of the guys you mention are in that category.

I've caught all but 1 of CBJs playoff games specifically to watch Panarin, and man the idea of Hughes having a passing option to Panarin or Petey is drool worthy. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

I'd take Joe Pavelski on a 3 year, 5 mil deal 
Jeff Skinner on a 6 year, 7 mil deal 

Wayne Simmonds on a 6 year, 4 mil deal 

I think I'm dreaming on most of those, but those would be my other targets if we don't land Panarin. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah i can go for that approach, as long as who we're getting is on a level you can think of as elite or a game changer, and many of the guys you mention are in that category.

I've caught all but 1 of CBJs playoff games specifically to watch Panarin, and man the idea of Hughes having a passing option to Panarin or Petey is drool worthy. 

Because of his speed, I could also be into Duchesne. Something I was dead against 4 months ago. But more likely if we can score him at a price less than he is rumoured to want? Because he does not go on July 1, is still hanging around July 3 or 4?

May not be realistic, but yeah...

it is Panarin who stirs the drink in Columbus.

No to Panarin, no to Duchene, and no to Karlsson.

Why?   

Because - these guys are going to command around 10 million bucks a year, and if these playoffs (and last ten years for that matter) have shown anything, it’s that......

1) depth is king

2) Superstars on said teams are relatively cost controlled with relatively cap friendly cap hits.

Target any of the following:

-Dzingel

-Ferland

-Stralman

-Gardiner (and then trade Hutton for either a draft pick or a forward).

Why the above?   Because.

1) Their Cap hits won’t be obscenely high.

2) They would fill a need on this team.

Many people on here disagree with me on William Nylander, but he’s also a guy that I would target via trade.  Yes - Marner and Kaspanen would be wonderful, but they’ll cost us an arm and a leg.....and perhaps a genitalia.

ps - I just had a thought:  You know what would be absolute genius on Dubas’ part?  Trading Marner for 2OA/Kakko (I don’t think NJ would part ways with Hughes).  Batta bing batta boom. Leafs solve their cap problems AND they get a severely cost controlled asset that could likely help them win now.

To me we have three major steps:

-Sign Panarin

-Trade for a younger RHD (my choice is still Ristolainen but maybe someone like Ekblad could be had for more in return)

-Bring Tryamkin back

Fits within the cap and soldifies our top needs with core pieces not hopes and prayers.

• Cheers 1

What if Panarin doesn't want to sign here? 

The Canucks are improving, but still it's going to take a lot more than Panarin to make the playoffs. 

What is with these either or questions? Would you freak if we signed Eberle? Or Myers? Or Brock Nelson?

17 hours ago, Master Higgins said:

I want to get our core players signed before looking at free agents. Almost all free agents get over paid, so its the worst way to build a team. Any big name FA should be the final piece added to a cup contender. Not how you fill your roster trying to make the playoffs. Just my 2cents 

I like what the OP is suggesting, recent history shows that second tier stars drop off soon after they sign their money deals all the time (Okposo, Foligno, Neal, LE etc etc) where as the best in their position hang on to their primes for much longer.  Panarin and Marner are good comparables, they both drive play as wingers...that said I don’t really know if the timing is right or not.  Would be happy with or without either EK and Panarin.

7 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

this off season would be (and should be) the end of the rebuild with the all "-IN" combo : 

Panarin

Tryamkin

A month or so ago Tram was reported to say "I'd love to come back and play in the NHL." 

Now notice he didn't say "I'd love to come back and play for Vancouver." 

I would be very surprised if he ever played a game in a Vancouver jersey again. 

Unless it's all a "lost in translation" issue. 

11 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Because of his speed, I could also be into Duchesne. Something I was dead against 4 months ago. But more likely if we can score him at a price less than he is rumoured to want? Because he does not go on July 1, is still hanging around July 3 or 4?

May not be realistic, but yeah...

it is Panarin who stirs the drink in Columbus.

I have some concerns about him - both Colorado and Ottawa were happy to part with him. Could be totally unfounded but I think we can get speed elsewhere for a lot less. 

July 2nd is going to be an interesting day.... I wonder if Jim is going to be able to move Loui then? 

• Like 2

We still might be able to trade with a team having cap troubles. We might have to give up a player and/or prospect but it might be cheaper than what the PanMan is going to rake in. Plus he's looking great in the playoffs---$$$$.

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What if Panarin doesn't want to sign here? 

The Canucks are improving, but still it's going to take a lot more than Panarin to make the playoffs. 

What is with these either or questions? Would you freak if we signed Eberle? Or Myers? Or Brock Nelson?

very possible. I think its more likely than Eberle tho, theres some good things going on in NY for him. Panarin was pretty much confirmed to leave CBJ.

For the other 3.... what if it costs 2 mil more per year  or 2 more contract years than they're really worth? Is Myers a game changer or just a decent top 4 RHD? Does Nelson take Bo's spot? move Petey to wing? Or do we try to create 3 scoring lines? Nelson might be interesting but so much depends on the price. 

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I have some concerns about him - both Colorado and Ottawa were happy to part with him. Could be totally unfounded but I think we can get speed elsewhere for a lot less. 

July 2nd is going to be an interesting day.... I wonder if Jim is going to be able to move Loui then? 

OTT didn’t like Ubergate but otherwise weren’t unhappy with his performance, he came as advertised.  Too bad a set of hand grenade were lit off and their cup aspirations soon went by the way-side, Hoffman’s girlfriend, lighting people on fire (literallty), Karlsson etc.   One goal away from the final to White, Chabot and BT in a matter of months.   Yes they overpaid on Duchene, and ended up DFL, but BT will almost certainly end up better than this years 4th...somehow this gong show landed on its feet, and they have something like 17 picks coming there way (imagine if that was Bennings first draft?) and they draft well above their position historically.    

As far as Duchene goes, he’s showing his value so far this playoffs, and could end up the best value of all the UFAs this year.  You can never have enough quality centers (if you do one goes to the wing anyways and when one goes down no big deal), I’d be stoked if we got him.  Not as stoked as if we got Stone, but he could end up becoming the best UFA of his class, even if his class is questionable. 

I'm all in for Panarin,.  He's young enough to still be a part of our core in 5 years and he's as dynamic as they come.  There are no players I can see that we can draft in the immediate future that would add the same element as Panarin.

Panarin   Horvat   Pearson

That line would rock.  Just have to find a linemate for Petey and Brock to complete the top six.  In terms of our defence it needs an upgrade as well but we have young pieces that haven't seen the big club yet that should be a part of our core moving forward so I am not as concerned about the defence as others are.  Hughes, Woo, Juolevi, Rathbone, possibly Tryamkin, Stecher, Brisebois, Sautner, Rafferty, even Hutton is only 26.  We just need a veteran presence for a couple years until these guys fully develop and then we are fine.  Adding a veteran UFA to the mix of D for 2-3 years is probably the way to go versus spending millions. 

I'd go all in on Panarin instead, he's the type of player that is not available very often.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

49 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm all in for Panarin,.  He's young enough to still be a part of our core in 5 years and he's as dynamic as they come.  There are no players I can see that we can draft in the immediate future that would add the same element as Panarin.

Panarin   Horvat   Pearson

That line would rock.  Just have to find a linemate for Petey and Brock to complete the top six.  In terms of our defence it needs an upgrade as well but we have young pieces that haven't seen the big club yet that should be a part of our core moving forward so I am not as concerned about the defence as others are.  Hughes, Woo, Juolevi, Rathbone, possibly Tryamkin, Stecher, Brisebois, Sautner, Rafferty, even Hutton is only 26.  We just need a veteran presence for a couple years until these guys fully develop and then we are fine.  Adding a veteran UFA to the mix of D for 2-3 years is probably the way to go versus spending millions. 

I'd go all in on Panarin instead, he's the type of player that is not available very often.

That plus Boldy...well look out.  We’d have four snipers and two playmakers plus a two-way forward that has Selke trophies and clutch written all over him...Hard to defend against that.

• Upvote 2