The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Red Kelly passes away

Statement from the Kelly family:

cut.jpg

Hockey legend Red Kelly passed away this morning in Toronto at the age of 91. Red was a devoted husband and caring father and grandfather and was tremendously proud of his many hockey accomplishments. He was very moved by decades of love and support from Red Wings fans and was humbled to have his jersey retired earlier this year. We are comforted in knowing that he impacted so many people both at and away from the rink and know that his life will be celebrated. Arrangements will be announced once they are finalized.

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/statement-from-the-kelly-family/c-307168446

One of the all-time greats. Probably the best player at playing both defense and forward (though Dit Clapper might contest that).

Some facts about his career:

- Has the most Cups by any player who never played for the Canadiens

- Was the first ever Norris winner in the early 50s

- Was the last defenseman to win the Lady Byng trophy until Brian Campbell won it a few years back

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

One of the all-time greats. Probably the best player at playing both defense and forward (though Dit Clapper might contest that).

Closest equivalent I can come up with in another sport (and I'm sure I'm missing at least one obvious one :P) is Babe Ruth.

Great pitcher (defense is a sense that you prevent the other team from scoring) and an even better hitter (offense).  In fact, his pitching might be a little underrated as he might've gone in the hall of fame strictly as a pitcher had he not gone to playing a non-pitching role on a team early in his career.

But this thread is about Kelly.  A legit HHOFer.  Wasn't just merely switching positions but switching positions while he was ALREADY an established more than solid NHLer.

1 hour ago, YEGCanuck said:

When Red coached the Leafs, I think he placed a pyramid under the bench so the team could benefit from its power. Can anyone confirm?

I remember the whole pyramid power stuff from the 70’s was it?  I think it worked to best the Flyers?  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I remember the whole pyramid power stuff from the 70’s was it?  I think it worked to best the Flyers?  

2 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

When Red coached the Leafs, I think he placed a pyramid under the bench so the team could benefit from its power. Can anyone confirm?

The Leafs lost the first two games in Philadelphia. Kelly needed something to energize his team and its fans. He chose a most unique strategy: Pyramid Power.

“Casey (one of Kelly’s daughters) had bad headaches, so we tried whatever we could to get the headaches to go away,” he explained. “Andra (his wife) had read about the power of pyramids, so we tried a small one under her pillow, and her headaches disappeared. Andra suggested it for the team. I was ready to try anything.”

Prior to Game 3 at Maple Leaf Gardens, without the knowledge of his players, Kelly placed five plastic pyramids under the Leafs bench. The brawl-filled contest saw Toronto outshoot the Flyers 52 to 28 and edge Philadelphia 5-4. Then, with the pyramids still a secret but still under the bench, the Leafs tied the series with a 4-3 Game 4 win.

Archived