The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TRADE] Jet Woo traded to Calgary Hitmen

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Take off Hitmen!  I want to see people freak out and then mock them for not reading the actual post!  :lol:

I had just Calgary but a mod must've fixed it lol

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, gurn said:

Hopefully the Hitmen are going to do better for him than they did with Jake.

Don't want to have to rush a prospect in order to try and protect him, from a junior team.

Don't think we can blame Virt's slow development on the Hitmen.  Even the pro coaches in both the AHL and NHL haven't able to get him to live up to his potential yet.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Don't think we can blame Virt's slow development on the Hitmen.  Even the pro coaches in both the AHL and NHL haven't able to get him to live up to his potential yet.

Jake is going to be just fine. He's going to break out very soon. Maybe even as soon as next year

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Does Woo playing for the Hitmen make any difference to his development?  Are they supposed to be a better team than the Warriors next year?  

Is this a big deal or just a meh thing?

Depends on how you look at it.

Conspiracy theorists will immediately point to recent history which suggested that Canucks management specifically did NOT want Jake going back to jr (when it was likely in his best interests) because he would be going back to a Hitmen organization which is partially owned by Flames owners as well.  Conspiracy theorists will make people believe that Flames owners would not want to invest or properly develop a player who isn't their own asset - like I said, conspiracy theorists will suggest this. 

OTOH, the Hitmen have developed and graduated countless players who went on to solid NHL careers. 

This year, they (Hitmen) started off slow in the regular season and had a fairly young team - to their managment/fans surprise, they finished well and won their first round playoff series against a very good Hurricanes team.  I believe this success has led the Hitmen management team to believe that they can build off this momentum and they've invested in Woo as a sign they are going to make a go of being very competitive next season - so in that regards this is good news for Woo's development as he will be on a strong team with playoff aspirations who will more likely than not make further moves to solidify their roster even more.  Woo was already a 'go-to' defender in Moose Jaw and saw plenty of minutes in every conceivable situation - this likely won't change in Calgary as he'll be a 'go-to' defender again who will play in all situations so in that respect I think it's no different.

Bottom line, I don't think this will harm his development in any way and may actually be good for him if Calgary goes 'all-in' to take a run at a division championship or even bigger aspirations.  

Edited by Fanuck
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Too young. It's nhl or chl 

I don't like this. Would rather he stayed in Moose Jaw, the Hitmen are a freaking horribly run organization lately...I don't trust them to not screw up Woo's development...

although I will admit it will be pretty funny to see all those Hitman fans doing Rick Flair's 'woo!' 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

From your lips to God's ears...

His progression has be undeniable although he started way behind where he should have. It’s not unrealistic for him to score 20+ next year  If Jake is a consistent 15-20 goal guy who could potentially be one of those playoff guys then I’m happy with the pick.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, logic said:

His progression has be undeniable although he started way behind where he should have. It’s not unrealistic for him to score 20+ next year  If Jake is a consistent 15-20 goal guy who could potentially be one of those playoff guys then I’m happy with the pick.

I've been saying for a couple of years now, if he turns into one of the league's more solid 3rd liners, I'll be happy.  The league is littered with top heavy teams who don't even make the playoffs.  ie: Sabres.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I read that originally as "take off, Hitmen". I thought for a second some Canadian-ness was rubbing off on you. 

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

I believe that would be 'take off ya hoser, eh' ;)

It's "take off eh" or "take off you hoser", " take off eh, you hoser" might be acceptable but "he's a full blown hoser, eh" just sounds more natural.

3 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

giphy.gif

usa.gif

That's not very Canadian, eh, yankee hosehead.

For the record, I could drink like 400 bud lite and still race a NASCAR.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3