The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eriksson's 'friction'

Rate this topic

Dr. J.

14 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I like his honesty, but what do you mean you weren't ever given an offensive role? What a bunch of nonsense. We were forcing him offensive roles for 2 years when he came in. Hell, we still give him undeserved powerplay time and he has yet to show any offensive output or creativity. He'd be a decent player to put with the Sedins or on a line that's that's stacked with guys who can get him the puck when he decides to finally get to good areas, but time and time again he's proven he's not willing to drive to the offensive areas and be creative enough to open up ice for himself. So until then, I hope he just gets more and more pressbox time. I wouldn't even have him on my team at league minimum salary. 

Do you know how Green coached him? 

2 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

i am not a huge fan of Green but this comes across as really whiny / passing the blame off. Green wasnt there his first season and he shat the bed then too. Loui has got to go.

I didn't get that vibe at all. He said he is bored playing a defensive role, coming from a guy who always played an offensive role. That's called honesty.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

i am not a huge fan of Green but this comes across as really whiny / passing the blame off. Green wasnt there his first season and he shat the bed then too. Loui has got to go.

Yeah, it isn't Green's fault that Loui isn't producing. He was put on the Sedin's line, Horvat's and this year Pettersson's line...and whatever line he's been put on has fallen off the cliff offensively. He's done. Hopefully they trade him to Ottawa after his 'bonus' is paid in July....

louie is right but the blame should be 70 to 30 on his part. louie has been a good soldier and played the roll he is asked to play. on green’s side, louie is the type of player that needs to play with goal scorers to get his goals like he did in boston. it was supposed to be him and the sedins. that didn’t seem to work and the sedins needed a burrows type of winger to be more successful. it just seemed like he didn’t fit in on either of the top 2 lines.  not greens fault. same with goldie. if the chemistry isn’t there, it won’t work. with louie he at least can play strong defensive hockey.  i don’t know what the answer is and i doubt green knows either or he would have done it.  who on the canucks, can let louie play a 2 way game. ? 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

This situation could end up being good for Loui and the Canucks.  I think he is very motivated to prove himself and will play lights out in the Worlds'.  If that happens, there may be more interest in him.  If he truly believes that his relationship with Green has affected his game, then perhaps he can convince a GM.

As I have stated before, of all the plugs people bring up regarding Loui in a trade, I would only go for Kovalchuk.  All the others would make the team worse.

I do not see the Canucks bullying Loui by sending him to the AHL.  He's too good a player for that league and it would be considered bad form throughout the NHL.

More likely, he will be packaged with a younger player and traded before the end of the season.

947694194.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I think it's good he was honest. It's not like he's saying Green sucks, just that he doesn't use him the way he should. Lucic here we go!

At the trade deadline I said lucic for Loui and goldy and I was laughed at. I know it sounded ludicrous but it was in play. Milan said we would wave to come here and Loui didn’t. I still don’t think I want this trade, but it was happening.

12 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I sense Eriksson for lucic straight up but I hope jimbo can convince edm to swap 8 and 10 as well. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That would be fair.  Plus Milan would need to waive his NMC

Fair to whom?

Lucic is an overpaid slug who has a completely negative value, he can't skate, he can't score, and it's not 1992 anymore where gooning it out is 'okay'. Watching a moron take a stupid penalty with 6 minutes to go in the game is not that entertaining.

We already have an expensive winger in the subject of this article that we don't have to protect for the expansion draft upcoming. Why the hell would we want a MORE expensive, less productive winger for even longer who currently has said NMC?

Lucic AND the 8th for Eriksson, I'd do that. Otherwise, no.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I sense Eriksson for lucic straight up but I hope jimbo can convince edm to swap 8 and 10 as well. 

It kind of makes sense.  Eriksson would have to be pushed into accepting going to Edmonton... but the threat of Utica might help that case.

Edmonton badly needs scoring wingers. Eriksson would have chances to play with two of the top centres in the league.  Maybe he cares more about the city he lives in and how close to winning a team is, but there probably isn’t a team he would have a better chance to get minutes on.

Getting 8OA makes it more likely to be able to move up a bit and possibly get Byram, or even a remote chance he is still there to pick.

2 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

No, they were force fed minutes since they were acquired while other younger players never received the same treatment.

Weisbrod probably had a hand in drafting them in Calgary so when he came here I guess he convinced the organization to give them a free ride. That’s how I see it at least. The minutes they got when we acquired them with nothing to show seem borderline ridiculous to me.  

Weisbrod was still in Boston for the 2011 draft. 

Baertschi averaged 13:27 his 1st season as a Canuck.  He earned his minutes.  He was barely over 11min up to December that 1st season with several healthy scratches and as his play improved he got more minutes.

• Upvote 4

Just now, brownky said:

We already have an expensive winger in the subject of this article that we don't have to protect for the expansion draft upcoming. Why the hell would we want a MORE expensive, less productive winger for even longer who currently has said NMC?

In their three years on their respective terrible contracts.

Lucic - 104 points

Eriksson - 76 points

Only one of those three years did Eriksson outproduce Lucic.

Lucic is three years younger, it is much more likely that Eriksson is way worse by the end of his contract than Lucic is... and a much better chance of him recovering a bit more production.

As has been noted a few times, the NMC goes away unless the receiving team agrees to add it back.

The only thing going against Lucic is that his contract isn’t structured in a way it will be easy to get out of.  Eriksson has little money left after his bonus this season, and certainly after his bonus next season.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like a frustrated athlete who needs/wants a better opportunity who is playing for a coach who believes the player fits where he is playing on the current roster to give the team the best chance of winning.  Obviously not an ideal fit.

So. Hope he has a stellar tournament.  Lights it up.  Garners interest.  Moves on.  Win / Win scenario.  Perfect ending.

The return is the roster spot and cap space anything else is a bonus.

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 1