The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Ken Holland to Edmonton?

7 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I think he already declined. 

Who knows though. Money changes minds

he turned it down flat 2 weeks ago... but who knows. Maybe Edmonton has been very persuasive. He'll have a hell of a mess to clean up. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he turned it down flat 2 weeks ago... but who knows. Maybe Edmonton has been very persuasive. He'll have a hell of a mess to clean up. 

I don't know how you clean that up. I've often wonder what I would do.

15 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I think he already declined. 

Who knows though. Money changes minds

The issue was autonomy but apparently it has been resolved - from the article:

The Oilers and Holland have conducted extensive negotiations, with sources telling Sportsnet that the important issue of complete autonomy to hire and fire at will has been granted by Edmonton.

Just now, Chris12345 said:

I don't know how you clean that up. I've often wonder what I would do.

they need a Sutter-type shut down C for starters to get RNH out of that role and creating secondary offence on a 2nd line. They need a big, powerful skating winger with McD. They need a Tanev-like d-man.

Not saying they need our guys specifically but these are the 3 types imo. 

They need someone with the balls to clear things out completely, from the ground up.

As fun as the memes are, I am more a fan of hockey than making fun of the Edmonton Oilers at this point.

It has gotten to the point where the Oilers are going to self immolate if they don't get someone competent to hold the reigns.

Hunter or BUST. 

Question is, would you?

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

they need a Sutter-type shut down C for starters to get RNH out of that role and creating secondary offence on a 2nd line. They need a big, powerful skating winger with McD. They need a Tanev-like d-man.

Oh yeah that's easy...but how do you get them is the question?

8 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Oh yeah that's easy...but how do you get them is the question?

hey I'm just the idea guy. 

But since you asked, pulling a Gillis and burning futures. 

I'd be looking to package Lucic with the 8th oa. Yeah its steep but frankly they have a window with McDavid and Drai on top of their games so pissing that away would be a crime. The only fast way out of that mistake is packaging the 8th. I think the Canucks are a great fit for that move, and they could get Sutter back 50% retained for those two pieces for their shut down C. Leaves them with ~4 mil in cap space left over from Lucic. 

For the winger, I'd be looking to offer sheet a guy on a cash strapped eastern team like TO. 

For the "Tanev" I'd look to sign Stralman or even Hainsey with an overpayment, which they could just afford to do. 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hitchcock thinks that on D they are missing puck moving Ds who are not afraid of the middle of the ice.  Their struggles are not necessarily defensive it's the transition game the problem.  They are forced to defend because they are not good at transitioning the puck and instead of going up ice they end up defending.  

He says you can't play board and out and hope to win in this league.  He states the better teams are not afraid to use the middle of the ice but there is a risk to play that way but for him it's the only way if you want to win.

He got asked if it's ability or confidence from their Ds and his answer was that's it's a combination.  They need a Hughes type D more than Tanev.

22 minutes ago, xereau said:

They need someone with the balls to clear things out completely, from the ground up.

As fun as the memes are, I am more a fan of hockey than making fun of the Edmonton Oilers at this point.

It has gotten to the point where the Oilers are going to self immolate if they don't get someone competent to hold the reigns.

Hunter or BUST. 

Question is, would you?

Is Holland the answer for building a team from the ground up though? When Holland became GM of the Red Wings, players like Yzerman, Shanahan, Lidstrom, and Federov were already there. He then did an excellent job at retaining Detroit's dominance in the league. So he's a good GM at maintaining a team but he seems more "normal" when it comes to developing a team from scratch.

So, if Edmonton does get Holland, it might work in their favour working with who they have now. In fact, I would argue they probably would not be able to afford another rebuild from the ground up. Edmonton's lucky it's in a Canadian market or else it would probably be like Arizona in terms of financials. I even remember Pittsburgh considering relocation before some guy called Lemieux showed up.

1 hour ago, xereau said:

Hunter or BUST. 

Question is, would you?

Agreed. Best thing Katz could do is hire Hunter and let him have full reign on everything. Clean house and call anybody he wants there a cab. Holland, why on earth would he want that job. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hey I'm just the idea guy. 

But since you asked, pulling a Gillis and burning futures. 

I'd be looking to package Lucic with the 8th oa. Yeah its steep but frankly they have a window with McDavid and Drai on top of their games so pissing that away would be a crime. The only fast way out of that mistake is packaging the 8th. I think the Canucks are a great fit for that move, and they could get Sutter back 50% retained for those two pieces for their shut down C. Leaves them with ~4 mil in cap space left over from Lucic. 

For the winger, I'd be looking to offer sheet a guy on a cash strapped eastern team like TO. 

For the "Tanev" I'd look to sign Stralman or even Hainsey with an overpayment, which they could just afford to do. 

Lots of decent ideas there.

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

Edmonton's only real asset they can trade other than 8 OA is RNH - problem is if they move him they truly become a one line team.

They're really stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Trading any of their good players immediately makes them a far worse team.  They have very little salary cap (vs rfa's to be signed), so they won't be able to bring any decent players onto the team, via trade or ufa.

I know! 

Oilers get Gaudette, + 4Mx2yrs cap relief (Russell) + 1.75mx1yr buried contract (Manning).  So Gaudette frees up RNH and the Oil have 5.75 cap relief.

Vancouver gets.....................8th overall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good.  Guy created a hell of a mess in Detroit with a pretty brutal record of drafting and UFA signings over the last few years.  Guy is a legend but if he's willing to consider working for an AHL franchise in an absolute cesspool of a city, that says something about his recent body of work.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I tend to think Chernobyl would be easier to cleanup.:P

Believe it or not, chernobyl has a swiftly growing wildlife and flora/fauna habitat flourishing. 

It blew my mind when david attenborough narrated it for me on netflix. 

Sadly, nothing is flourishing, or progressing on the oilers. 

25 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

They're really stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Trading any of their good players immediately makes them a far worse team.  They have very little salary cap (vs rfa's to be signed), so they won't be able to bring any decent players onto the team, via trade or ufa.

I know! 

Oilers get Gaudette, + 4Mx2yrs cap relief (Russell) + 1.75mx1yr buried contract (Manning).  So Gaudette frees up RNH and the Oil have 5.75 cap relief.

Vancouver gets.....................8th overall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not horribly opposed to this - especially considering we could pick up a center in the draft and I believe Russell could fill in the 3rd pairing - 2 top 10 picks in the 1st round would be sweet :)

Archived