The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] OTTAWA - VANCOUVER trade

Here's something a little 'out of the box'. Everyone knows that Ottawa is in financial ruins and they need to reach the cap floor and save every penny they can. 

So, lets trade Eriksson to them after July 1st. After his signing bonus is paid, Eriksson's cap hit will be 6M over the next 3 seasons but cost a total of 9 million for a salary of 3M per year. Match made in heaven for Ottawa.

For 2020 draft, Ottawa has 5 picks in the first 2 rounds ( 2xR1, 3xR2).

So here is the deal we make:

To Ottawa: Eriksson

To Canucks: McArthur + conditional 2020 2ndR ( Ottawa) ( conditions: pick upgrades to the lower of the 2 R1 picks - meaning the worse one- if Eriksson crosses 50 points)

Does Ottawa do this deal ? Or what would be a fair return for a cost-controlled Loui if we take on deadweight McArthur ?( who does not come cheap to Ottawa- costs the same as his cap hit of 4.65M)

Or maybe Ottawa does a similar but different deal, such as:

To Ottawa: Eriksson

To Vancouver: McArthur + 2020 Ottawa R2 + 2020 Ottawa R3 

Does Ottawa do this deal likely ? a 3M player who can kill penalties and MAY re-invent himself in the offensive zone with new players who helps them reach the cap floor may be worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick. On the other hand,taking the dead contract of McArthur and saving Ottawa 4.65M would also be worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Edited by canuckistani

47 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

To Ottawa:

2019 1st (10OA)

Sutter

Eriksson

Schaller

To Vancouver:

Jean Gabriel Pageau 

Canucks clear MASSIVE cap space and act like a great white shark on July 1st.....with the motif being that they take advantage of Pettersson and Hughes’ ELC years.

So basically a top 10 pick for Jean Gabriel Pageau? Absolutely not. 

• Upvote 3

MacArthur's contract is insured - they only have to pay the retention.  They pay 20% of his salary and the rest is covered by the insurance so less than 1M while Eriksson is owed 9M.

The dead cap weight helps them reach the floor.  They are more likely to go and knock on Detroit's door to take on the contract of Franzen and Zetterberg than bring in Eriksson.  

Ottawa is in full tear down rebuild and want to accumulate as many draft picks and prospects as possible.  

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Master Higgins said:

There is no chance ottawa gives up a good pick to take eriksson. Even with mcarthur coming back, it saves them no real world dollars.  They may have interest in eriksson for ryan, but even then i doubt you get something as good as a 2nd out of it. 

Err it saves them 1.65M in real world dollars for the next year, while counting for an extra 1.35M in cap space ( relative to McArthur). Ie, saves them money + gives them a roster player + counts more towards the cap. 

1 minute ago, mll said:

MacArthur's contract is insured - they only have to pay the retention.  They pay 20% of his salary and the rest is covered by the insurance so less than 1M while Eriksson is owed 9M.

The dead cap weight helps them reach the floor.  They are more likely to go and knock on Detroit's door to take on the contract of Franzen and Zetterberg than bring in Eriksson.  

Ottawa is in full tear down rebuild and want to accumulate as many draft picks and prospects as possible.  

Oh. Did not know that. That definitely puts a dampner of taking McArthur out of their hands. Infact, paying less than 1M but getting him to count for 4.65 means he is definitely not gonna be traded for a team trying to reach the cap floor. 

The biggest and best reason to do a trade, is to go out get someone you want.  Rarely if ever are trades just done to get rid of a problem player, or contract, and receive back something similar in return; in this case a guy that will never play again.  Neither team will do this trade.  Ottawa has that juicy caphit LTIR buffer, and we will have an albeit overpaid underachiever, still an inconsistently good player that might get better. 

I wonder if he would want to retire in Dallas?

Eriksson + Retain 3mil >> Valeri Nichuskin

Nich is in a mega rut in Dallas.  He is big. Was drafted very high. Surely he would be better given a chance here?  Would Dallas give him up for a familiar face and a guy that plays Loui's patented 200 foot game?  This might be a killer, sleeper deal that works for both sides.

34 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I think the LE contract and player is quite tradeable (see below). The main issue is his NTC. Main thing will be getting him to waive.

According to cap friendly, after he is paid his $4m signing bonus on 1 July, Loui Eriksson has $9m left on his contract. This should be paid out as follows:

2019/20 - $1m base

2020/21 - $3m signing + $1m base

2021/2022 - $1m signing + $3m base

If he waives his NTC then trading him could go something like this:

1) VAN pays out his $4m signing bonus

2) VAN trades him to another team with $1m retained in return for future considerations

3) This team enjoys LE’s services for one season completely for free (VAN paid 2019 signing bonus and has retained the $1m 2019 base salary)

4) If first team gets tired of LE after one season and/or don’t want his cap hit anymore they can pay his 2020 $3m signing bonus and trade him again for future considerations. This means they have had a decent 3/4th line defensive forward for one year at a real cost of $3m.

5) Team #2 takes on LE and again enjoys a completely free season (cap floor team #1 paid $3m signing bonus, VAN paid 2021 base salary).

6) In the final season of his contract, team #2 pays his $1m signing bonus and only $2m of his salary. This means they effectively paid an average of $1.5m per season of real money for 2 seasons of LE.

The CBA allows to retain 50% of all salary owed (bonus + base salary).  That percentage can't vary year on year and it can't go above it.  

6 hours ago, Pears said:

So basically a top 10 pick for Jean Gabriel Pageau? Absolutely not. 

Not exactly.

Ottawa would also have to eat 12 million in “bad” salary (Eriksson, Sutter, and Schaller).

With our “extra” 12 million, we take a run at say, oh I dunno.......Karlsson or Panarin?   If not then, then atleast two other players that are within the 6-7 million range.....all the while, still having a good long term cap situation where we could easily re-up our future pending RFA’s.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

10 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Not exactly.

Ottawa would also have to eat 12 million in “bad” salary (Eriksson, Sutter, and Schaller).

With our “extra” 12 million, we take a run at say, oh I dunno.......Karlsson or Panarin?   If not then, then atleast two other players that are within the 6-7 million range.....all the while, still having a good long term cap situation where we could easily re-up our future pending RFA’s.

So we give up a high pick to basically “have a shot” at one or two of the top free agents this year. That’s the kind of thinking that would set us back years. 

• Upvote 1

Ottawa can just sign some plug they like this free agency to a deal like Eriksons

He only has value in a swap for contracts.

3million is cheap with todays cap. I like the ottaws player i just think the trade needs to look more like Carolina and Calgary last summer

Edited by HughMungus

14 hours ago, xereau said:

The biggest and best reason to do a trade, is to go out get someone you want.  Rarely if ever are trades just done to get rid of a problem player, or contract, and receive back something similar in return; in this case a guy that will never play again.  Neither team will do this trade.  Ottawa has that juicy caphit LTIR buffer, and we will have an albeit overpaid underachiever, still an inconsistently good player that might get better. 

I wonder if he would want to retire in Dallas?

Eriksson + Retain 3mil >> Valeri Nichuskin

Nich is in a mega rut in Dallas.  He is big. Was drafted very high. Surely he would be better given a chance here?  Would Dallas give him up for a familiar face and a guy that plays Loui's patented 200 foot game?  This might be a killer, sleeper deal that works for both sides.

I like this idea. Dallas would take him back at 3mil for sure. Maybe even take him back at 4-5mil. He played good there and they could use the added depth to help supplement Seguin/Benn.

18 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I like this idea. Dallas would take him back at 3mil for sure. Maybe even take him back at 4-5mil. He played good there and they could use the added depth to help supplement Seguin/Benn.

They are more likely going to try and retain Zuccarello. He's given them a legit 2nd line.  

Nichushkin is under 26 so his buyout is only 1/3rd of salary owed - buyout cap hit of 700K next season and then 450K.  

4 hours ago, Pears said:

So we give up a high pick to basically “have a shot” at one or two of the top free agents this year. That’s the kind of thinking that would set us back years. 

Having one or two of the top free agents is just one of the options.   You could still target other 2nd tier free agents and accumulate more depth.....the operative word here being, “multiple” 2nd tier free agents.   Maybe you get BOTH Ferland and Dzingel with the newfound cap space.   All I’m saying is that we’d have a ton of options available at our disposal.

17 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I think the LE contract and player is quite tradeable. The main issue is his NTC. Main thing will be getting him to waive.

I think the fact he is not happy here makes the NTC mute. I would love to see him Sutter Shaller and Tanev gone all for picks and prospects. Tanev if Woo makes the team and we sign EK or make a trade for trouba. Tanev makes a lot of sense in the peg. Not one for one, but if we through in a 20220 first and maybe Lockwood may be it piques their interest?