The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-TOR (Not Tanev)

Vancouver: D Ben Hutton, LW Sven Baertschi 

Toronto: RW Kasperi Kapanen (RFA), D Emilie Rasanen

Toronto cuts cap space by getting cheaper replacements for Gardiner in Hutton and Kapanen in Baertschi who will demand considerably less to sign. 

Kapanen is looking at a a significant increase into the 4-5 mill range. Baertschi is a cheaper option tho a bit older.

Gardiner (who has been pretty weak in the playoff 2 years in a row) is looking at imo 6-7mill for his offensive production in Free agency. Hutton is younger and can be had for much less than Gardiner.

We get 2 younger players. Kapanen could jump into our top 6 right away as a 20G scorer. 

Rasanen is still a ways away but has promise for a big 6’7 RHD.

@smithers joe fair proposal?

9 minutes ago, ken kaniff said:

Toronto cuts cap space by getting cheaper replacements for Gardiner in Hutton and Kapanen in Baertschi who will demand considerably less to sign. 

Kapanen is looking at a a significant increase into the 4-5 mill range. Baertschi is a cheaper option tho a bit older.

Gardiner (who has been pretty weak in the playoff 2 years in a row) is looking at imo 6-7mill for his offensive production in Free agency. Hutton is younger and can be had for much less than Gardiner.

We get 2 younger players. Kapanen could jump into our top 6 right away as a 20G scorer. 

it might be fair, but if i’m toronto and am trading a top six winger, i’ld want woo and virtanen.  baertschi is one concussion away from the end of his career. i don’t think they need a 3rd pairing ld. i could be wrong. you have to ask yourself, what would toronto want/

15 minutes ago, ken kaniff said:

Toronto can't afford Baertschi and Hutton until such time as they can find a way to shed salary.They only have 17 players signed and Marner is going to eat up all of the cap space they would have available even after accounting for the increase in Salary cap. They need to unload Zaitsev at a minimum and then add players making no more than a million each to round out their roster and meet the cap. This doesn't even include what it is going to cost to re-sign Johnsson. They truly are in cap hell.

20 minutes ago, mll said:

Toronto is more likely to trade with Carolina - they were interested in getting Kapanen for one of their Ds.

TO would have to add for that, but it does seem like a good fit. But if the deal drags on I could see Hutty going that way, maybe not for Kapanen but for other futures. 

TO also can't really afford to take Baer's contract either. 

Toronto gets absolutely roasted value wise. Yikes. Baer is greatly underrated here, but his injury history hurts his trade value massively. There was questions if whether or not he’d ever play again. Hutton had a good year. But his numbers are good for a 3rd pairing d-man. He can slot in top 4 temporarily but not an ideal top 4 d-man. If I’m Toronto I hang up on you before you even finish your pitch.

TO is cap-strapped & it should be exploited. If they don't take a tilted deal(in our favour), you just wait the b*stards out. Their stupid signings created their mess. Negotiate accordingly.

The league will prob give them a sweetheart deal with a US plug/fodder team. Hogtown is too important a revenue stream, & they know where their bread is buttered.

19 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Why trade when you can offer sheet?

Toronto wont get its problems sorted before then so just offer sheet whoever you prefer. Kapanen or Johnsson

If Dubas has any smarts at all he will either have Kapanen and Johnsson signed or traded before July 1st to avoid offer sheets. I really doubt he allows either player to get to RFA.

4 hours ago, mll said:

Toronto is more likely to trade with Carolina - they were interested in getting Kapanen for one of their Ds.

Does Kap play the way the Canes play? Kap is kind of a softy.  

For us I think the guy to get is Wee Willie.  Same offer, but for Flamingo.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Does Kap play the way the Canes play? Kap is kind of a softy.  

For us I think the guy to get is Wee Willie.  Same offer, but for Flamingo.

We don't want Nylander, Alf, I just puked a bit. Kid's an overpaid perimeter princess that gives up on plays when it matters most.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

We don't want Nylander, Alf, I just puked a bit. Kid's an overpaid perimeter princess that gives up on plays when it matters most.

You’re right, of course.  My wife is a huge Leafs fan, and she hates Nylander.  I don’t know.  I just see something in his game that could mature into a good player.  

Edited by Alflives

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

You’re right, of course.  My wife is a huge Zoraida fan, and she hates Nylander.  I don’t know.  I just see something in his game that could mature into a good player.  

He may just bloom into a good all around player one day, but probably not. Seems more likely he'll just float around on the perimeter and reap the benefits of being on lines with players with drive and skill.

Nylander is such a wuss it's not even funny. Even Semin would wimp slap the living hell out of him.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

If Dubas has any smarts at all he will either have Kapanen and Johnsson signed or traded before July 1st to avoid offer sheets. I really doubt he allows either player to get to RFA.

Ideally for him but he has other priorities to address first. He should be able to get them signed unless one of them wants out. If they aren't signed though...

11 hours ago, smithers joe said:

it might be fair, but if i’m toronto and am trading a top six winger, i’ld want woo and virtanen.  baertschi is one concussion away from the end of his career. i don’t think they need a 3rd pairing ld. i could be wrong. you have to ask yourself, what would toronto want/

Kole Lind or some other young wildcard might interest them.

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] VAN-TOR (Not Tanev)