The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Sport(namely NHL) Media Still Needed, TRUSTED, Appreciated, & Enjoyed?

Rate this topic

First off, apologies to all, as I've been informed(prob numerous times) on the negative slant many of my threads present. Back in the day, we were raised to believe in healthy skepticism. Imho, more required these days than ever before.

So asking sincerely, are these media-blowhards still relevant? While doing a Stat Update(related topic), started reflecting on these questions. The general mass media I hold in almost(99 %?) utter contempt. Their lying narratives helped set the table for crimes vs humanity, as they downplay any/every western created calamity.

Are sport media ambling down this twisted path, as well?

Can only speak for myself, but would say it's actually helped turn me off of pro sport, in general. So am naturally curious to see if any other puck fans see this matter in a similar way?

Thanks, & peace(cos' peace is nice, & what societies should STRIVE for..correct?)

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

Cases where someone like Friedman implies of a major Hogtown transaction pending, & it'll be explained away(perhaps HF masses?) as a guy just trying to get hits, likes, generate interest, etc...

Sorry, but I think time's a bit precious, if these media-lackeys are basically fulfilling roles that(someone like) Eklund tries to play. Do TAXES pay for stiffs like this guy, PJ Stock, Dreger types?! Eegads!

Then I start to ponder how much these a**holes are paid, to jet-set around the continent, writing on the bounces of a rubber disc..Hmm, colour me skeptical.

edit: meant to mention Kypreos..not Dregs of society. Hell, they're mostly all a waste of time.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

Well, the games themselves (at a minimum) have to get to us by some means or another.  I'm not the least beat interested in the rumor mill and whatever babble and jibber jabber they fill time with on Hot Stove or whatever they name their talking head segments.  Just let me know the results of trades or awards or the draft or whatever when the fact actually crystallizes.

I have to say I'm a little more interested in what Western created calamities you think are being downplayed.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

2 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I have to say I'm a little more interested in what Western induced calamities you think are being downplayed.

That's an opinion I share with many prominent, respected reporters, analysts, intellectuals(names like Pilger, Chomsky, Stephen Cohen, Chris Hedges, folks at 'The Duran' etc...) that I DO appreciate, & hold in the highest regard. I'm sorry, I won't take the matter down that rabbit hole. It's up to every world citizen to (choose to) believe whatever source they respect/trust(can only hope info is provided, not protected by Big Gov), especially with important matters like geopolitics. I give you my word that I spend significant time accumulating info from various sources, fwiw.

On so many levels, media has evolved from simply dispersing(one would hope, credible) information, to a quasi-advertising form, serving their paying masters.

So if a daughter were to come home & say, "Dad, I've fallen thru the cracks. I walk the dark end of town, hitching in a short skirt!" Well, distressed..I'd likely sit her down over a cup of coffee, & try to reason/turn about her future.

Now if the same girl turned up happily exclaiming, "Ma, Dad..Just gotta job in media!!!" Why I'd throw the dirty wh*re out on the street!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

That's an opinion I share with many prominent, respected reporters, analysts, intellectuals(names like Pilger, Chomsky, Stephen Cohen, Chris Hedges, folks at 'The Duran' etc...) that I DO appreciate, & hold in the highest regard. I'm sorry, I won't take the matter down that rabbit hole. It's up to every world citizen to (choose to) believe whatever source they respect/trust(can only hope info is provided, not protected by Big Gov), especially with important matters like geopolitics. I give you my word that I spend significant time accumulating info from various sources, fwiw.

On so many levels, media has evolved from simply dispersing(one would hope, credible) information, to a quasi-advertising form, serving their paying masters.

Whatever.  Just responding to the material in your OP and trying to give your thread a little life.  Anyway, Pilger was far more instrumental in revealing the calamities the East created for itself.

As to sports coverage, junk like 1040 babble with 35% ad time often worked into the coverage surreptitiously has sunk a long way from 980 and its Honest Abe approach.

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Whatever.  Just responding to the material in your OP and trying to give your thread a little life.  Anyway, Pilger was far more instrumental in revealing the calamities the East created for itself.

As to sports coverage, junk like 1040 babble with 35% ad time often worked into the coverage surreptitiously has sunk a long way from 980 and its Honest Abe approach.

Haven't paid much attn to Van radio since the 1990's. It's good if you can sum up Pilger in a few words though..especially if it's positive.

Sport (as it's presented) is the "bread & circuses" of today. Most of us have plenty of time for it(fortunately?)..until, I'll predict, we suddenly won't.

1 minute ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

A camera in every players helmet and offering a VR experience through the viewpoint of a selected player: NHLVR

More like the players, the ice, the glass, the arena and everyone in it wearing an infinite array of sensors and the matrix pumping a virtually real simulation directly into your brain. You will be able to watch, and rewatch any play from any position in any speed you want.

I'm no fan of the media in general. We can get better information here and in the case of other types of media other than sports independent journalists like Tim Pool on YouTube. The media as we knew it is dead but they are trying to hold on like a dying dinosaur gasping for air. That's why there is so much negativity and outright lying these days in most media.

What really gets me and it seems hardly no one says anything about it is that the Toronto Make Believes are owned by the same media companies who are broadcasting the games. Talk about a huge conflict of interest. They can tamper with players on other teams and also have constant negative stories about other teams especially Canadian rivals while putting out the continual fluff pieces praising the Leafs. That is why I'll never cheer for them at any time, it sticks and no one says anything about it. 

Hope this doesn't sound to negative lol.

• Upvote 1

Sport reporting isnt a dying breed, as we as fans still need them to get the inside info that we aren’t privy to. Wether its beat writers or tv talk shows. The problem is there's far too many of them now. Information travels so quickly now that one reporter can do what use to take ten to do, so we have a bunch trying to set themselves apart from the rest by sensationalizing everything.

Trade rumours i tend to like a lot. I dont put much stock in any of them actually happening but thats not really the point of them. If you’ve read or listened to any retired gm’s you realized just how many deals are talked about throughout a season, most never go through. But i feel if the source of the rumours is legit it gives an interesting insight on some of the deals and thought processes of the current gm’s.      

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

First off, apologies to all, as I've been informed(prob numerous times) on the negative slant many of my threads present. Back in the day, we were raised to believe in healthy skepticism. Imho, more required these days than ever before.

So asking sincerely, are these media-blowhards still relevant? While doing a Stat Update(related topic), started reflecting on these questions. The general mass media I hold in almost(99 %?) utter contempt. Their lying narratives helped set the table for crimes vs humanity, as they downplay any/every western created calamity.

Are sport media ambling down this twisted path, as well?

Can only speak for myself, but would say it's actually helped turn me off of pro sport, in general. So am naturally curious to see if any other puck fans see this matter in a similar way?

Thanks, & peace(cos' peace is nice, & what societies should STRIVE for..correct?)

I hold a strong contempt for media.

The sad fact is everything on our planet is about money and media are all owned by global companies all trying to steal the money of the billions of hard working people just trying to get by in life. I would be fine if all the world heavy weights with respect to media all burned to the ground.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

So if a daughter were to come home & say, "Dad, I've fallen thru the cracks. I walk the dark end of town, hitching in a short skirt!" Well, distressed..I'd likely sit her down over a cup of coffee, & try to reason/turn about her future.

Now if the same girl turned up happily exclaiming, "Ma, Dad..Just gotta job in media!!!" Why I'd throw the dirty wh*re out on the street!

ROFL...