The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] what Markström next contract look like?

9 minutes ago, tan said:

5mil x 5years?

is it realistic?

Extend him now and it could be 3-4 years for 4 mil. Statistically speaking his career and even last season is below average but he can be rewarded with a pay raise on his past contract for his improvement in the latter half of this season. If he plays all of next season the way he played half of this season I think 5+mil is very likely. Gamble on an extension this summer that could be a steal contract or wait it out and see how he does next season and potentially pay him more.

Dude what.

Markstrom has one year where he exceeds our own standards (all while not exactly breaking ground statistically) and suddenly he deserves a lengthy extension?

Give him a 1-2 year prove it deal and then we'll talk long term extensions.

I’d be in no rush to do anything with him. 

I’d shop him at the draft to test the market to see what he could fetch then ride out the year and see if he can do it again 

Anderson received a late first rounder from the leafs/Anaheim deal

hypothetically, if Calgary offers their 1st rounder for markstrom? Then I’d deal him and sign a veteran fringe starter 

36 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

We can’t afford to give out NMC.

We have seen how that can handcuff our team. 

Correct!

47 minutes ago, HughMungus said:

I would do 6milx4 NMC

With Seattle coming in 2021/22 our investment in Demko can become Seattle's starter...

59 minutes ago, HughMungus said:

I would do 6milx4 NMC

You do this you risk losing Demko for nothing or another quality asset for nothing trying to protect Demko.

Right now Marky >Demko.

2 year's from now Demko>>>>>Marky.

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

We can’t afford to give out NMC.

We have seen how that can handcuff our team. 

1 good season to me makes me a tad bit nervous. I'd rather keep it around 4 years if possible. Maybe offer more salary AAV.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

1 good season to me makes me a tad bit nervous. I'd rather keep it around 4 years if possible. Maybe offer more salary AAV.

We need to give him a “show me” contract to see if he can duplicate his end of season performance before we throw term at him IMO. 

Gonna need to see more from him before I offer any significant term. With the expansion draft coming and Demko in the wings it doesn't make sense to throw term and cap at him after one season of him showing he can play as a legit #1. 

4 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Dude what.

Markstrom has one year where he exceeds our own standards (all while not exactly breaking ground statistically) and suddenly he deserves a lengthy extension?

Give him a 1-2 year prove it deal and then we'll talk long term extensions.

If possible, I’d also be comfortable with a 2 year deal at a modest pay raise.  This does two things:

1) Allows Markstrom to prove himself a little more.

2) Gives the Canucks more time to assess Demko (and Dipietro for that matter) and to see which of the three goalies they’d like to proceed forward with as their #1.

2 hours ago, shazzam said:

Didn't he just get wrecked at the WC? What's his status?

Supposedly it's not bad, just some upper body soreness. When I saw the clip I thought for sure knee (and he's had surgery on one already), but fortunately that's not the case.

Sounded like he could have even finished the game, but it was a pre-tournament game that didn't mean much. He's expected back when the real games start.

5 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

First of all there is talks of Marky getting injured in warmup? or practice

Second of all, one good season is does not mean crazy money or term. 

Right now its 2 to 3 years, ranging from 2.5 to 4 million, no clauses

He is already making 3.67M.  He's not going to take a paycut.  A few teams looking for starters and he is a free agent in one year.

Depends on how Demko progresses. I wouldn't pay more than 4.5 mil as I expect him to be around 915 save percentages at best. Only way I'd go higher is if becomes a top 10 starter in the league, with potential for Vezina nomination (i.e., consistently puts up 920 save percentage).

Archived