The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ken Hitchcock won’t return as Oilers coach

Rate this topic

44 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

The Oiler's consistently lack urgency in their decision making.
They take too long to make trades that'll help their future because of their loyalty to their playesr.

The took too long to sign a GM and got Holland

And they wait until the 2nd round is nearly over to start a coach hunt?

I feel like Quenneville or Vigneault could've really helped them, but now they're going to get left a with a GM that literally no one else wants as I believe they're now the last team in search for a coach. 

I'll tell you what. Getting the GM and Coach that no other team viewed as relevant is not going to bring them the success they want. 

Why did Quenneville take so long to be rehired? 6 months. No teams must have wanted him. Had to sign with the Panthers just to get a job.

• Haha 3

that's good new for Hitchcock's mental health - and health in general.

not sure there's the right coach out there for the Coiler organization.

The changes they need to make are more fundamental, and start higher up than the coaching position.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Anaheim.  They like the work he has been doing with their prospects and they expect to have several of them graduate next season.

Wonder if Babcock could be an option.  Some noise that things aren't going as smoothly between him and Dubas.  Dubas as former GM of the Marlies also a big supporter of Sheldon O'Keefe.  How long until another team comes knocking with the Marlies again doing very well in the post-season so far.

Gotta believe Shanahan would have a say in this.  Wasn't he a big part of the team that made the sales pitch for Babcock?  Can't see this happening for another 2 years, unless the Leafs miss the playoffs or something.

1 hour ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

The Oiler's consistently lack urgency in their decision making.
They take too long to make trades that'll help their future because of their loyalty to their playesr.

The took too long to sign a GM and got Holland

And they wait until the 2nd round is nearly over to start a coach hunt?

I feel like Quenneville or Vigneault could've really helped them, but now they're going to get left a with a GM that literally no one else wants as I believe they're now the last team in search for a coach. 

I'll tell you what. Getting the GM and Coach that no other team viewed as relevant is not going to bring them the success they want. 

Anaheim, Ottawa and Buffalo are also without a coach. 

3 hours ago, RonMexico said:

Why did Quenneville take so long to be rehired? 6 months. No teams must have wanted him. Had to sign with the Panthers just to get a job.

You're crazy.  Quenneville is probably one of the highest paid coaches right now.  He wanted to enjoy some time off... his last chance before his eventual retirement.

He did not settle for Florida.  He was the John Tavares of coaches this offseason.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

that's good new for Hitchcock's mental health - and health in general.

not sure there's the right coach out there for the Coiler organization.

The changes they need to make are more fundamental, and start higher up than the coaching position.

ie lock Lowe and all the old network in the funny bin? No access to the team...

Or player related?

Just an observation; they finally have a decent AHL squad. Some prospects developing selected outside the 1st round. Who may be ready soon?  The scouting, draft and development programs might be at least turning luke warm for Holand to take over. From stone cold... 

32 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

You're crazy.  Quenneville is probably one of the highest paid coaches right now.  He wanted to enjoy some time off... his last chance before his eventual retirement.

He did not settle for Florida.  He was the John Tavares of coaches this offseason.

I was being sarcastic about his comments towards Holland being a GM no one wanted.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, RonMexico said:

He likely declined an Edmonton offer that was kept away from media.

Think about it, Edmonton had to make a move on Quennville the best coach available in the market!!!

• Cheers 1