The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Charlie McAvoy suspended 1 game

Rate this topic

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

There is no standard.

Brian Burke was talking about it how he used to consider 1 playoff game to equal 4 regular season games in terms of impact. As you progressed deeper into the playoffs the value of a playoff game doubled or something to that effect. I can't quite recall as the wife was nagging at me when he was talking and I couldn't focus on what he was saying close enough to remember the exact numbers. Obviously this is just anecdotal but I get what he meant. That said, playoffs schmayoffs. The league isn't serious about getting rid of headshots when they take player history into account. That shouldn't even be a factor. You want to eliminate head shots? Mandatory 10 game suspension will lower if not eliminate them. Too many players suspended as a result? Tough luck for the idiots who can't stop doing it.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Brian Burke was talking about it how he used to consider 1 playoff game to equal 4 regular season games in terms of impact. As you progressed deeper into the playoffs the value of a playoff game doubled or something to that effect. I can't quite recall as the wife was nagging at me when he was talking and I couldn't focus on what he was saying close enough to remember the exact numbers. Obviously this is just anecdotal but I get what he meant. That said, playoffs schmayoffs. The league isn't serious about getting rid of headshots when they take player history into account. That shouldn't even be a factor. You want to eliminate head shots? Mandatory 10 game suspension will lower if not eliminate them. Too many players suspended as a result? Tough luck for the idiots who can't stop doing it.

Totally agree. There should be a minimum of ten games for the crap that McAvoy pulled, regardless of outcome. As well, the assailant should remain out as long as the injured player. And if the player injured can't play again due to the injury, the assailant is banned from the NHL. That would send a clear message.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, xereau said:

HwJV28D.png

Then refer to the manual:

HAVE WE RUN OUT OF EXCUSES YET?

If no -> make something up (like his head was travelling too fast for his body)

If yes -> make something really good up (like his clavicle was protruding beyond the maximum allowable, therefore...something something)

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Totally agree. There should be a minimum of ten games for the crap that McAvoy pulled, regardless of outcome. As well, the assailant should remain out as long as the injured player. And if the player injured can't play again due to the injury, the assailant is banned from the NHL. That would send a clear message.

This really should become a thing.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, oldnews said:

Who cares?

Should have been a major and game-ejection when it mattered - in a game 7 that they lead by a goal at the time....

The gongshow pairing of Sutherland and Kozari strike again.  Surprise.

So he misses game 1.    Who cares?  Too little, too late.  Damage done.

Fix is in again for Boston.... Someone should take a look at Kelly Sutherland's bank book and finances.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/8/2019 at 6:23 AM, mll said:

The NHL rule book doesn't allow for a major penalty or a game misconduct for an illegal check to the head - a 2min minor is the only option. 

He could have received a match penalty if the ref thought there was intent to injure, but even in this ruling they say they accept that he wasn't deliberately trying to check Anderson in the head.  Failed execution rather than intent to injure.  

The GMs need to change the rules.

Yeah - I watched the game and heard exactly what you're parroting here - but it's a weak semantics excuse for a weak call. 

• Cheers 1

Fn Boston - let off the hook in game 7, then a weak 1 game - and to top it off, McAvoy's sub - Steve fn Kampfer scores a goal in his absence.

Obvious deal with the devil is obvious.

I think Carolina is a better team though -still think they will take this series (if it's not managed like that pathetic 3rd period).

On 5/11/2019 at 5:07 PM, oldnews said:

Fn Boston - let off the hook in game 7, then a weak 1 game - and to top it off, McAvoy's sub - Steve fn Kampfer scores a goal in his absence.

Obvious deal with the devil is obvious.

I think Carolina is a better team though -still think they will take this series (if it's not managed like that pathetic 3rd period).

I don't think so, 9 shots through the first 27 minutes of game 2 for Carolina. They're not the better team nor are they playing at the level they played to beat the Isles and Washington. 

Can’t really use officiating as an excuse either PP were 4-2 Carolina and 3-2 Carolina after 2. Their PP is incredibly inept at this stage. 

On 5/8/2019 at 12:54 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

What happens when you get someone like Horton/Hossa who fake injuries to get opponents suspended?

On 5/8/2019 at 10:37 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

Fix is in again for Boston.... Someone should take a look at Kelly Sutherland's bank book and finances.

At this point, it's the NHL's fault for continuing to employ him when he's blatantly and obviously rigging games.  Both the league and Sutherland himself would be held liable if a player lawyered up and sued for negligence causing bodily harm.

Edited by King Heffy

Going by the Tom Wilson appeal Paros values playoff games at 2x the value of regular season games.

The GMs need to update the NHL rule book and give allowance to the refs to hand out a major or a game misconduct.  They call it an illegal check to the head yet foresee only a minor penalty and even spell out that "there is no provision for a major penalty for this rule".  A player might not have the intent to injure but an illegal check to the head can't be worth as much as a puck over the glass.

Not sure it's possible to update the rules for next season though - assuming they even want to.

From the NHL website - timeline for implementation after the GMs meeting in March where they were proposing updates to the Rule book.

The NHL general managers approved concepts for rule changes regarding player safety and offense on the second day of their annual March meetings on Tuesday. 

All rule changes must be approved by the NHL-NHLPA Competition Committee before going to the Board of Governors for approval. The Competition Committee meets during the Stanley Cup Final and the BOG meets next at the end of June. 

Have they disclosed who is on the competition committee.  It's 5 players and 5 team executives (typically GMs or owners).  Schneider, Backes were on it a few years ago but who is it now.  Boudreau has been invited to be there this year and says that it will be interesting because he has no idea what they do.

Edited by mll