The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks will not qualify Derrick Pouliot

13 hours ago, rekker said:

The silence on the Edler extension is deafening.

I wouldn’t read too much into it.  It obviously wasn’t the slam dunk folks were saying.

This close to free agency, Edler’s agent probably wants to wait and see what the offers are during the negotiating week prior to free agency. That way all parties can get a sense of his actual market value.  Then they can make their demand of the Canucks to match (or corne close).

I still give us better than even odds of signing Edler.  The wildcard is the serious lack of quality UFAs on the market and the chance of some dumb GM handing out a 4-5 year contract offer at him.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Provost said:

I wouldn’t read too much into it.  It obviously wasn’t the slam dunk folks were saying.

This close to free agency, Edler’s agent probably wants to wait and see what the offers are during the negotiating week prior to free agency. That way all parties can get a sense of his actual market value.  Then they can make their demand of the Canucks to match (or corne close).

I still give us better than even odds of signing Edler.  The wildcard is the serious lack of quality UFAs on the market and the chance of some dumb GM handing out a 4-5 year contract offer at him.

Edler wouldn't waive his NTC (his right) but wants to test the free agency market lol. 

51 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

He hasn't ever said that, unless you have inside sources.

Didn’t Edler’s agent say something close to that though?

Pouliot will sign a one way deal with us after July 1

51 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

He hasn't ever said that, unless you have inside sources.

Nope, the comment was to the waiting for the negotiating week to field offers to see market value. Market value is whatever Vancouver is offering if you have no interest to play anywhere else. 

11 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Nope, the comment was to the waiting for the negotiating week to field offers to see market value. Market value is whatever Vancouver is offering if you have no interest to play anywhere else. 

If that were the case, he would have signed long ago.  If you think he is just going to take whatever Vancouver offers, you haven't been paying attention.  He has never said that he wouldn't play anywhere else.  He said that he and his family love it in Vancouver (literally what almost every player on every team says when asked that question),

His agent publicly stated that there were issues to be resolved and that is why a deal hasn't been signed.  Insiders have pointed to term and NMC being the main sticking points.

If you think we are getting Edler for a 1-2 year deal for $5 million or under just because he likes it here, you are likely living in fantasyland.  Being in Vancouver will be the tiebreaker if he doesn't have a deal before the negotiating window.  He may take a little less money or a little less term... but not a huge amount.

My guess is that Benning is the one who blinks, and we end up with Edler on a longer term contract than we want.  We have no other top pairing LD ready, and we would have to pay through the nose in free agency to get one.

2 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

Devastated by this news, dark day in Canucks history. Can we put this guy in the Ring of Honor as a parting gift? Hahaha, about time we moved on, I don't think I could have watched him turn over the puck anymore 

I had to leave work I was so taken aback.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

yeah - he'll have to clear waivers regardless of whether it's a one way or two way contract - all that effects is his salary, not CBA waiver eligibility.

It might be in his best interest to actually sign with Vancouver at less than his qualifying offer and if he can't make the roster - at a reasonable cap hit he may be more attractive as a potential waiver claim - at a time when teams have weeded through their own group and have a better idea of their health, depth, etc than July 1st. 

Personally, I'd probably sign him if he's willing to sign for 700 or 800 k, assuming they have enough contract space to do so.

I'd be fine with a cheap re-signing, but I'd prefer to see him in Utica instead. I have a feeling his offense could take over in the AHL and he could be a big part of Utica getting better. Alternatively, he's probably our 7th or 8th defenseman.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Edler wouldn't waive his NTC (his right) but wants to test the free agency market lol. 

if true that would mean... he is doing exactly what he is allowed to do according to the contracts he has signed. OMG!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

Devastated by this news, dark day in Canucks history. Can we put this guy in the Ring of Honor as a parting gift? Hahaha, about time we moved on, I don't think I could have watched him turn over the puck anymore 

I hear that this is actually a big blow to the Canuck's open garden.  Apparently they grow a lot of their own veggies.  Now they are going to have to fire the guy who followed Pouliot with a scoop, and buy chemical fertilizer.  

3 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

Before you guys get all excited, they didn't qualify him last year.

Then gave him a raise for no reason.

True, but the reason they did that was Derrick had arbitration rights, and had a 22 point season and likely would have commanded a lot more in arbitration. So not qualifying him allowed them to bypass the arbitrator and sign him to a much more friendly contract.

But now that you bring it up, it makes me scared of the same situation playing over again lol 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'd be fine with a cheap re-signing, but I'd prefer to see him in Utica instead. I have a feeling his offense could take over in the AHL and he could be a big part of Utica getting better. Alternatively, he's probably our 7th or 8th defenseman.

I don't know why CDC would be so opposed to that exact scenario. I'd happily re-sign him for league min and have him as 8th D/in Utica.

• Upvote 4