The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks will not qualify Derrick Pouliot

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

There's far worse 8th, 9th or 10th D we could have.

I'm afraid I don't see the point in keeping a player in the system who has had every opportunity but cannot make the team.  He is 25 years old and has 200 NHL games.  He is what he is.  At this point, remaining in the system just puts him in the way of players who actually have a chance to develop into NHL players.  

Let's have a look at the bottom of the defense group outside of the top 6 D

Juolevi is coming soon.  Then there's Biega and Schenn (pick one, the other should go).  Hutton I think is trade bait but who knows what will actually happen.

As far as 8.9.10......how about Sautner, Briesbois and Chatfield.......then there's Rafferty & Teves......just a few clues that they are moving on from DP.

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Clearly you haven’t thought of Edmonton? They have been in a rebuild for over a decade and will probably be again for another one.

Or Buffalo? How does one have Eichel, Dahlin, Skinner etc and still fail as much as they do? 

Jim got us a generational player at #5, a 30-40 goal potential goal scorer at #23, an elite potential defenceman at #7 and and future # 1 goaltender at #36 and another at #64.

This is all without any Top 3 picks. So yeah, you can lay off. Jim is doing a swell job. 

We aren't the only team getting players like that, we are however one of the only teams on this insane no-playoff streak. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yes, we are changing the D, but are we getting better?  Hughes is clearly an upgrade, but who replaces Edler and Tanev?  

i think they will try and sign a top4 defender. they may sign elder or not.  they need time for woo and juolevi to emerge as a top 4 d men. i see our d next year being,

edler and hughes or hughes and new d man. or tanev.

hutton or brisebois and stecher

juolevi or sautner and tanev or schenn or rafferty

who knows what d men they might acquire. 

1 hour ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Clearly you haven’t thought of Edmonton? They have been in a rebuild for over a decade and will probably be again for another one.

Or Buffalo? How does one have Eichel, Dahlin, Skinner etc and still fail as much as they do? 

Jim got us a generational player at #5, a 30-40 goal potential goal scorer at #23, an elite potential defenceman at #7 and and future # 1 goaltender at #36 and another at #64.

This is all without any Top 3 picks. So yeah, you can lay off. Jim is doing a swell job. 

Don't forget that before the last couple of seasons for Toronto, they were also "rebuilding" for nearly a decade. They got a 1st overall to turn their team around otherwise I'm not sure they would even be where they are now which is a team that has yet to get out of the 1st round and are now in a poor cap situation.

With that said, I don't think Pettersson is a generational player, but certainly an elite one and maybe franchise player. But I agree with the rest and that Benning is doing a fine job so far IMO.

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i think they will try and sign a top4 defender. they may sign elder or not.  they need time for woo and juolevi to emerge as a top 4 d men. i see our d next year being,

edler and hughes or hughes and new d man. or tanev.

hutton or brisebois and stecher

juolevi or sautner and tanev or schenn or rafferty

who knows what d men they might acquire. 

I definitely think they kick the tires on Tyler Myers - if you sign him may not need Edler unless he signs at a reasonable rate.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

I'm afraid I don't see the point in keeping a player in the system who has had every opportunity but cannot make the team.  He is 25 years old and has 200 NHL games.  He is what he is.  At this point, remaining in the system just puts him in the way of players who actually have a chance to develop into NHL players.  

Let's have a look at the bottom of the defense group outside of the top 6 D

Juolevi is coming soon.  Then there's Biega and Schenn (pick one, the other should go).  Hutton I think is trade bait but who knows what will actually happen.

As far as 8.9.10......how about Sautner, Briesbois and Chatfield.......then there's Rafferty & Teves......just a few clues that they are moving on from DP.

Sure, but those guys we actually want PLAYING (whether here or Utica), not sitting in a press box.

People always seem to neglect that reality. That same reality is why a guy like Biega makes the big club year after year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure, but those guys we actually want PLAYING (whether here or Utica), not sitting in a press box.

People always seem to neglect that reality. That same reality is why a guy like Biega makes the big club year after year.

That's a good point.  

Here is the depth chart in no order.  

Edler                  Tanev

Hughes              Free Agent

Hutton  (2.8+)    Stecher

Plug?                 Biega     

Sautner              Rafferty   

Teves                 Chatfield

Briesbois           Schenn 

Juolevi

For it to work out as I have described it above, Hutton would have to be the #7 and they would have to feel as though Sautner (or somebody) were ready to be a regular.  Can anybody see Hutton as a $3M D sitting in the press box?  I mean it could happen but it is not optimal and not likely to be how they would start the season.  The Plug player I could see but only as a short term fix.  A longer term injury (3 games?) I would like to see a call up play

I have Hutton down as a better version of Pouliot.  I can't stand to see either of them fumbling with the puck and being indecisive with it in their own corner which is why I wouldn't mind a bit if they moved on from him.

On the right side, things are more clear with either Schenn or Biega.  There remains some unfinished business with a 2nd pair RHD.  Since Tanev may be good for only 40 or 50 games, this is a really important add.  I can totally see Benning over paying to fill this hole

Back to the Plug.  I guess the question is, go with the devil they know (Pouliot)  or find somebody else.

10 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

That's a good point.  

Here is the depth chart in no order.  

Edler                  Tanev

Hughes              Free Agent

Hutton  (2.8+)    Stecher

Plug?                 Biega     

Sautner              Rafferty   

Teves                 Chatfield

Briesbois           Schenn 

Juolevi

For it to work out as I have described it above, Hutton would have to be the #7 and they would have to feel as though Sautner (or somebody) were ready to be a regular.  Can anybody see Hutton as a $3M D sitting in the press box?  I mean it could happen but it is not optimal and not likely to be how they would start the season.  The Plug player I could see but only as a short term fix.  A longer term injury (3 games?) I would like to see a call up play

I have Hutton down as a better version of Pouliot.  I can't stand to see either of them fumbling with the puck and being indecisive with it in their own corner which is why I wouldn't mind a bit if they moved on from him.

On the right side, things are more clear with either Schenn or Biega.  There remains some unfinished business with a 2nd pair RHD.  Since Tanev may be good for only 40 or 50 games, this is a really important add.  I can totally see Benning over paying to fill this hole

Back to the Plug.  I guess the question is, go with the devil they know (Pouliot)  or find somebody else.

For the record, I'm not suggesting Pouliot is the only answer. I'm perfectly fine if they target a vet UFA etc as the 7/8 D (who they can potentially flip at the TDL). Might even prefer it to be honest. But we could certainly do worse than him as a spare D. And yes, he'd only really play in circumstances where a call up can't make it on time, it's something short term like illness or if injuries get so bad it forces him in.

He also wouldn't be horrible as a 'vet' in Utica either (so long as he wasn't eating up minutes other guys deserve). Could help solidify the back end down there which is only good for our kids.

I'm hoping for a trade personally. Ristolainen on the expensive end, Ceci on the cheaper end. I'd also move Tanev and sign Stralman (or even better get Tryamkin back) to fill that roster hole.

Then look at moving Hutton once Juolevi gets heavy reps in Utica for a month or two. And no, they won't let Hutton sit long as 7th D should things unfold that way. They'd trade him in short order in that scenario IMO.

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Sbisa was also a similar caliber error-prone defenseman when we let him go, wonder if he could find success in a new home?

Like others said, he could probably find a home with another stay-at-home type. 

Sbisa was a healthy scratch all season save for 9 games.  He's only 29 but which team is going to give him a job for next season.

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

For the record, I'm not suggesting Pouliot is the only answer. I'm perfectly fine if they target a vet UFA etc as the 7/8 D (who they can potentially flip at the TDL). Might even prefer it to be honest. But we could certainly do worse than him as a spare D. And yes, he'd only really play in circumstances where a call up can't make it on time, it's something short term like illness or if injuries get so bad it forces him in.

He also wouldn't be horrible as a 'vet' in Utica either (so long as he wasn't eating up minutes other guys deserve). Could help solidify the back end down there which is only good for our kids.

I'm hoping for a trade personally. Ristolainen on the expensive end, Ceci on the cheaper end. I'd also move Tanev and sign Stralman (or even better get Tryamkin back) to fill that roster hole.

Then look at moving Hutton once Juolevi gets heavy reps in Utica for a month or two. And no, they won't let Hutton sit long as 7th D should things unfold that way. They'd trade him in short order in that scenario IMO.

I think that if they add 2 useful players, a forward and a D, it could make a huge difference to the team.   This is my take on what Benning has said in recent interviews and on reflection, it makes sense.  Regarding trading for a D, you may be right, since there are fewer free agents available, a trade may be better.

I get what you mean't about the 7D.  You don't want a developing player sitting in the press box most of the time.  So the way the Canucks line up shakes out it could be Pouliot or somebody else.  As long as Poo isn't slowing up anybody's development 

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

We need bigger D that can hit hard and good for more than 15 minutes a night.

Here’s one that’s been skating more than 20 Minutes a night for the past 2 seasons.

C405EC54-9C4F-4AC1-BC5B-0C2BF2D0B4E5.thumb.jpeg.a2c20b9314968a703780c75c5930798a.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

It's disappointing that he seems to have all the tools, but doesn't have it mentally to play in the NHL.  This is probably the last real shot he has for being a regular NHLer.  If his NHL coach is also his junior coach that helped developed him into the #8 overall pick.... still couldn't help him be an NHLer.... that's pretty much it.  

Whether he plays overseas in Europe or find another team to give him another chance.... while it didn't work out with the Canucks, good luck on future endeavors.  

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Only good thing he did was score against the Avalanche in OT. That gave Petey 5 points for the night!

He was also the first to hug Pettersson when the latter got his first NHL goal...

Let's face it... Pouliot needs to be back...