The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Free Public Transit in Vancouver

1 minute ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

its 20-25 mins as it is right now. I can live with that.

Not if you live in Chilliwack.... LOL   

Where more and more commuters are forced to live due to increasingly high housing  / rent costs...   Especially those in the trades.

35 minutes ago, BPA said:

Free transit is an intriguing idea.  I would support it as it would encourage maximum use of transit.  

However,  I would question how it is to be funded (cuz nothing is free) and projected future costs / funding for future developments (ie. New skytrain routes).

it's funded by you paying higher/more taxes. No way around that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Not if you live in Chilliwack.... LOL   

Where more and more commuters are forced to live due to increasingly high housing  / rent costs...   Especially those in the trades.

well I don't live in Chilliwack. I live in Burnaby. I also work in the trades I don't know how much you think people who work in the trades make but I think the ones you do know are doing it wrong.

7 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

well I don't live in Chilliwack. I live in Burnaby. I also work in the trades I don't know how much you think people who work in the trades make but I think the ones you do know are doing it wrong.

Well wages in the city are higher for sure...

Out in the fraser valley  most red seal makes approximately  30-32 an hour with limited benefits.... Of course supervisory skills / foreman skills  add to that nicely....

The reality is that many can no longer afford to purchase closer to the city.. I would Burnaby prices are not out of reach for many teachers, nurses, firemen, cops or people in the trades......

1 hour ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

it's funded by you paying higher/more taxes. No way around that.

How much higher taxes? 

$20-50 more isn't going to break my piggy bank.  My taxes go to some things I may not agree with but it (supposedly) support those in need.

If the idea is to be the greenest city (in Canada or the world), then it's a step in the right direction. 

1 minute ago, Baer. said:

And why should we stop them

When a tourist spends 300-400 bucks a day Victoria...    5 bucks for transit is not a big deal.

If free transit attracts more tourism... i say go for it.  Green industry so any chance to increase it sounds good to me.

7 hours ago, canuckistani said:

:lol::shock:

Ever been to London, UK ? Or Tokyo ? if transit was hockey, forget being the Stanley cup champions, Vancouver is a middle rung AHL city, mate. There are dozens upon dozens of cities in Europe and Asia that are way, way, way more transit-friendly than Vancouver. And they didn't get there by killing cars or scamming car-riders either. 

High cost of housing is going to make DRIVING feel more attractive. Because the high cost of housing is directly linked to the spots that are closer to transit. Metrotown costs way more than capitol hill for the same reason. Cambie corridor is way more expensive than main street corridor. high cost of living = move out to the valley = more need to drive. 

Queue the defenders:  "But Translink is rated one of the best transit system in North America......"

:lol:

Despite the increasing hate for Vancouver and it’s residents on these boards (which is quite amusing and pathetic at the same time), this won’t happen for the simple reason that our transit system, specially skytrain, is not easily accessible by a large number of residents. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

What if developers helped  fund it with their projects near skytrains hubs..... ???

And here I thought you were against higher real estate costs.  Guess not.

12 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

When a tourist spends 300-400 bucks a day Victoria...    5 bucks for transit is not a big deal.

If free transit attracts more tourism... i say go for it.  Green industry so any chance to increase it sounds good to me.

If spending 5 bucks for transit is not a big deal, you think removing that charge will help drive tourism?

4 minutes ago, Kragar said:

And here I thought you were against higher real estate costs.  Guess not.

If spending 5 bucks for transit is not a big deal, you think removing that charge will help drive tourism?

Heh, you are from California.  Clearly you are not allowed to comment on public transit....

Just kidding.... 

not really.....

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Free Public Transit in Vancouver

Well of course not free but... .paid for from city residents through taxation......

Would it ever be considered....

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20190128-the-cost-of-luxembourgs-free-public-transport-plan

Late last year Luxembourg made headlines when it announced that all public transport would be free. From 1 March 2020, there will be no charge for using the trains, trams and buses that traverse the tiny tax-haven sandwiched between Germany, France and Belgium.

The move will benefit the Grand Duchy’s 602,000 residents and 175,000 cross-border workers alike, as well as around 1.2 million annual tourists. But what’s behind the move – and what will it achieve?

tiny land mass, lots of people. 

It could become a thing here once we have smaller self-driving busses and we're not dependent on massive projects like skytrains to move people .

3 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Despite the increasing hate for Vancouver and it’s residents on these boards (which is quite amusing and pathetic at the same time), this won’t happen for the simple reason that our transit system, specially skytrain, is not easily accessible by a large number of residents. 

meh the main hater is quite vocal but hardly representative. Self evident evidence boy :lol:

The city was doing a trial of an electric, self-driving small bus (capacity of about 20 people i think) a couple of months ago in false creek. I took a ride on it and was pretty impressed with how it could work here to service all the routes that skytrain can't. I think we're just going to bypass smaller city rail systems like the c-train in Cowgary and go straight to these kinds of vehicles sooner than later. By going electric as well the operating and maintenance costs are driven way down, as well as no need for any construction. Exactly what Vancouver needs imo. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Heh, you are from California.  Clearly you are not allowed to comment on public transit....

Just kidding.... 

not really.....

Yet your reply does nothing to address my points.  Ask me if I am surprised.

FWIW, I lived in GVRD for about 30 years, and have seen most of the failed attempts with Skytrain since it was opened.  Not to say I don't like Skytrain, but the processes and updates to deal with problems are so poorly implemented, it's a joke to those who have experienced better.

I've worked in Tokyo for close to a year.  I have no idea why Skytrain stations aren't anything like Japanese subway stations, as far as handling fares and admission.  Their fares always seemed pretty cheap to me, and the process simple to use.  I don't see it easy to cheat the system like you can with Skytrain, but then, I was never inclined to try.

Been to London once, so harder to comment due to less experience.  But despite the higher costs for using a car (London fees for cars, Tokyo costs of owning a car), and generally considered having better transit systems, the roads always looked busy with non-transit vehicles.

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Yet your reply does nothing to address my points.  Ask me if I am surprised.

FWIW, I lived in GVRD for about 30 years, and have seen most of the failed attempts with Skytrain since it was opened.  Not to say I don't like Skytrain, but the processes and updates to deal with problems are so poorly implemented, it's a joke to those who have experienced better.

I've worked in Tokyo for close to a year.  I have no idea why Skytrain stations aren't anything like Japanese subway stations, as far as handling fares and admission.  Their fares always seemed pretty cheap to me, and the process simple to use.  I don't see it easy to cheat the system like you can with Skytrain, but then, I was never inclined to try.

Been to London once, so harder to comment due to less experience.  But despite the higher costs for using a car (London fees for cars, Tokyo costs of owning a car), and generally considered having better transit systems, the roads always looked busy with non-transit vehicles.

maybe we need those cartoons showing us how to be a proper subway rider? I loved the system in Tokyo, but the sheer scale of it is just not possible here. 

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe we need those cartoons showing us how to be a proper subway rider? I loved the system in Tokyo, but the sheer scale of it is just not possible here. 

If by scale of subways, I completely agree (and see how my tangent distracted... I was more trying to show some transit street cred).  Blew me away how many there were, but sure made my life easier, getting around town on the cheap.  The cartoons were cute enough.

But, assuming things haven't fundamentally changed since I was there over 10 years ago, getting on and off the platforms was so easy there.  For those with passes, scan at the turnstile at both ends, and you're golden.  For the occasional rider, buy your ticket at a kiosk, pop it in the slot at the turnstile, take it with you when you pass thru, and use your ticket to pass the turnstile when you leave your destination (if you try to leave farther than your planned destination, you either need to upgrade your ticket or hop back on the train in the other direction to get your missed station).  Quick as can be, and not so simple to cheat (cameras can catch those jumping the turnstile).  It's like they want to make the process fast and easy!  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Me too.  I think Vancouver can be a real world leader in transit as the citizens in Vancouver seem to ready to shift to Green Energy / reduced carbon footprint.

When it comes to transportation, the gridlock on every thoroughfare says otherwise. I think the "braintrust" in Vancouver likes the idea of being the greenest city on the planet, but are nowhere near, that moron, Gregor Robertson's perceived goal.

Vancouver isn't a world leader in anything, especially transit. As long as the woefully inadequate people behind Translink remain there, nothing will change.  

22 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Plus the high costs of housing / poor parking access etc...  would make free transit even more attractive...

Certainly it would. However, providing free transit to the entire Lower Mainland is a pipdream. Downtown Vancouver? Sure. Where would the government get the money from to maintain the buses, trains, elevated transit structures, electrical power, fuel, maintenance of the SeaBus terminal? It has to come from somewhere.

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Vancouver isn't a world leader in anything, especially transit. As long as the woefully inadequate people behind Translink remain there, nothing will change.  

Certainly it would. However, providing free transit to the entire Lower Mainland is a pipdream. Downtown Vancouver? Sure. Where would the government get the money from to maintain the buses, trains, elevated transit structures, electrical power, fuel, maintenance of the SeaBus terminal? It has to come from somewhere.

Tolls on all the stinking bike lanes.:P

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1