The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDN legal system.

1 hour ago, Fateless said:

There's a whole lot of non-lawyers spouting incorrect information on here. I also note that @canuckistani is one again bashing another aspect of Canadian society without any evidence or actual facts to back up what he is saying.

There have been recent improvements to time limits regarding the amount of time the Crown has to bring a matter to trial. Here is an article citing actual facts and cases: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/supreme-court-speedy-trial-1.3670079

There are many inefficiencies in the Canadian legal system, but most of them to get acknowledged and dealt with over time. There are many areas that need improvement, but pretending like we have a "completely broken"  system just highlights your true ignorance.

It is is broken.you can murder with absolute no recourse.

• Wat 1

6 hours ago, canuckistani said:

not the same. If he does get convicted, he will most likely instantly walk free, since time in custody pre-trial is credited at 2x the time in custody post trial. And if his lawyer pulls a technicality and he wins, he will counter-sue and win for unlawful imprisonment and walk away with millions. 

In a unanimous 7-0 decision, the high court Friday agreed the law sets out a new starting point, that 1:1 is the general rule.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/04/11/supreme_court_restores_credit_for_pretrial_jail_time.html

In general, the bill changes the two days for one currently credited to one day for one, that is, it limits the credit for pre-sentencing custody to a maximum of one day for each day spent in pre-sentencing custody (new section 719(3) of the Code). That maximum applies to all cases in which the accused was in pre-sentencing custody because of his or her criminal record(21) or breach of conditions of release on bail, including the commission of a criminal offence (new sections 719(3) and 719(3.1) of the Code).

https://robichaudlaw.ca/restrictions-on-pre-sentence-credit-comes-into-force/

This isn't to say he can't get more than 1:1 credit, but it is not something that is automatic, as you imply. You must have been educated at a non-Canadian institution. Sad. 

Also, you're completely off base with your assertion that he can sue. You totally misunderstand the purpose of remand. People are not remanded because of the belief that they are guilty for their crimes. They are remanded for one of three reasons: (1) they are unlikely to appear in court, (2) they are likely to commit new crimes/contact victims, or (3) failure to hold them on remand would bring the criminal justice system into disrepute.

Edited by Down by the River
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes he has.  Charged but not convicted.

I would think the victims families to move forward in their grief process would like to see convictions and sentencing etc   Just some conclusion to this terrible crime.

10 years waiting for trial is a joke.....   and to me is not fair to the victims. 

Kos the real sad part is some people are being let go because they're waiting to long for a trial.

Yes, the sytem is broken.

• Upvote 1

To me it seems that if you are wealthy and can afford a decent lawyer you get a better outcome,so that system is broken.

Everyone rich or poor deserves fair treatment.

Some people Trump ,Trudeau have gotten away with things that would land the rest of us in prison, with no repercussions or consequences,because they have lived a spoiled rich kid lifestyle and lived off daddys name and money,this is what I mean by fair treatment not SPECIAL treatment.

One of these days it will come crashing down and they will wilt like the little b@#$%ches that they are.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

The Surrey 6 trial was screwed because one of the RCMP investigators was drinking with and sleeping with one of the witnesses, rumoured to be Bacon's GF. 

Stay classy, RCMP.

The same RCMP who do absolutely nothing but give J-walking tickets while Surrey Jacks shoot each other for the right to sell drugs for the HA. The RCMP know this, EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS, yet they do nothing because they're corrupt and on the take.

Hmmm @kingofsurrey is always telling me how great Surrey is.

:bigblush:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I often wonder if he lives in like Kelowna and has been trolling us all along.

Maybe, Kelowna isn't all that great either though. It's either too cold or too hot, and jam packed with douchebags.

I'm just one of those smug Islanders. No better than KOS when it comes to home-pride.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, luckylager said:

How bout that eh!?

I've tried to tell him how much Surrey sucks, but he's never been anywhere else on earth, apparently.

Been all over Europe, parts of Asia and Africa..... travelling and lived in Alberta and Quebec .....Keep coming back to Surrey.

Most beautiful city in the world.  Of course i love South Surrey the best.   Beach 10 minutes away...

100% best place in Canada to live. 

Daughter just did 4 years in victoria for uni.....   not a bad place except the fact everyone in the city is  65+ yrs old. 

Newly weds and nearly deads is how she described it...   She couldn't wait to move back to beautiful Surrey....

Edited by kingofsurrey

32 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Maybe, Kelowna isn't all that great either though. It's either too cold or too hot, and jam packed with douchebags.

I'm just one of those smug Islanders. No better than KOS when it comes to home-pride.

Okanagan is nice enough in the summer ...

Edited by kingofsurrey

27 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's also very nice in the winter. The biggest issue is not many jobs and low pay and now extremely high house prices.

Sounds like all of bc nowdays sadly. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Fateless said:

There's a whole lot of non-lawyers spouting incorrect information on here. I also note that @canuckistani is one again bashing another aspect of Canadian society without any evidence or actual facts to back up what he is saying.

There have been recent improvements to time limits regarding the amount of time the Crown has to bring a matter to trial. Here is an article citing actual facts and cases: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/supreme-court-speedy-trial-1.3670079

There are many inefficiencies in the Canadian legal system, but most of them to get acknowledged and dealt with over time. There are many areas that need improvement, but pretending like we have a "completely broken"  system just highlights your true ignorance.

Evidence is self evident - Canadian sentencing is lighter than most of the world, ergo, its a joke to people who think the legal penalties are not just for corrective or protective measures but also serve as punitive deterrents. 

• Wat 1

Just now, canuckistani said:

Evidence is self evident - Canadian sentencing is lighter than most of the world, ergo, its a joke to people who think the legal penalties are not just for corrective or protective measures but also serve as punitive deterrents. 

Self evident evidence...

I gotta remember that logical quandary. 

• Haha 1

We don't have much of a justice or legal system. It's one reason criminals including wealthy foreigners have been able to exploit this province for decades..

There was that multimillion dollar money laundering investigation late last year here in this province which was shut down citing "unspecified reasons." More than likely a few bucks were exchanged and those involved were coerced to look away. 

Murder convictions are served concurrent so if you murder one person you may get 10 years; but if you murder 10 people, you may get 25 years including the time served. Alex Bissonnette's case he's getting basically 6 years per murder. Then the Toronto doctor case - up for parole in 9 years after committing murder. Meanwhile a doctor was killed out here by a driver doing 140k in a 50 zone in 2015 has all charges dropped. We've all seen that video.

People think this country is so great. It's not. It sucks in many regards. 

6 hours ago, canuckistani said:

It is a joke that people still think that longer sentences act as a specific or general deterrent. 

I'm fully on board with certain people receiving lengthy/life sentence specifically for the purposes of protecting the public. The idea that longer sentences deter future offending has been debunked over and over again. When a person's likelihood of recidivism drops after incarceration it is typically because of the effect of the age-crime curve (they're now old and lack the same level of energy to offend) as opposed to being deterred from offending. 

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0887403414528950

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1745-9125.2009.00171.x

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0032885511415224

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07418825.2016.1219762

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0022427817739338