The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - DAL - EDM three way

To Dallas: Loui Eriksson, Sven Baertchi, Vancouver 2020 2nd round pick 

To Edmonton: Brandon Sutter, Andrew Cogliano, Dallas 2019 1st round pick

To Vancouver: Valeri Nichushkin, Milan Lucic, Edmonton 2019 1st round pick

Why it works for Dallas: They have a lot of cap space with Spezza (7.5 mil), Lovejoy (2.7 mil), and Methot (4.9 mil) all coming off the books for them this summer.  Their primary concern is secondary scoring this summer.  Loui was dynamite for them at the start of his career and Sven is a proven scorer (when healthy). Their 1st round pick is around the 20th overall, and they downgrade to probably an early 30s pick next year from us.  Although they take on Louie's contract, they do get rid of Cogliano and Valeri.  

Why it works for Edmonton: They shed Lucic's contract, get a shutdown center and an old friend in Cogliano.  They also free up a spot for the expansion draft (otherwise they'd have to protect Lucic), and it costs them their 8th overall pick that gets downgraded to 20th overall (roughly). 

Why it works for us: We profit from our cap space by getting the 8th overall pick this year and a reclamation project in exchange for taking on Lucic's contract and our 2nd round pick next year.  This deal is pending on Lucic accepting to waive his NTC, so he doesn't need to be protected in the expansion draft. We also clear up a logjam at forward by shipping out three forwards (ages: 33, 30, 26) and taking two back (ages: 30 and 24).  Valeri only has one year left on his deal at 3 mil/season.  

Dallas gets ripped off in this trade.  Eriksson is not the same player he was five years ago for Dallas.  They take on a bad contract, give up a young (granted, underachieving) player, and downgrade from a first rounder to a second rounder.  Plus take on an injured Baertschi.  I don't see any value for them whatsoever.

Edmonton is rebuilding a ....rebuild from a previous rebuild that they didn't finish from an earlier rebuild.

No way they give up a FIRST in a rebuild from a previous rebuild that they didn't finish from an earlier rebuild.....

::D

Hard pass.

As soon as I see Lucic coming here, the deal is dumb. Why would we add a player who is terrible and costs more money AND has a year longer on the deal?

We have a terrible player. We MIGHT get a chance to unload that one. Anyone who takes Lucic is simply doing Edmonton a massive favour.

Nichushkin's buyout is only 700K cap hit and 450K the year after.  It's highly doubtful that they use a 1st to get rid of him when the costs/effects are minimal.  Eriksson would just drag their team down.  

Isn't Benning also in the last year of his deal or does he have 2 more years.

It's unlikely that he makes a deal that will see the team take a step back.  I doubt adding draft picks is his priority.  He wants to be aggressive this off-season according to MacIntyre - any move that weakens the team for next year wouldn't align.  Imagine paying big dollars in free agency only to see the team take a step further back.

The Central and Pacific were also particularly weak this season.  

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

To Dallas: Loui Eriksson, Sven Baertchi, Vancouver 2020 2nd round pick 

To Edmonton: Brandon Sutter, Andrew Cogliano, Dallas 2019 1st round pick

To Vancouver: Valeri Nichushkin, Milan Lucic, Edmonton 2019 1st round pick

Why it works for Dallas: They have a lot of cap space with Spezza (7.5 mil), Lovejoy (2.7 mil), and Methot (4.9 mil) all coming off the books for them this summer.  Their primary concern is secondary scoring this summer.  Loui was dynamite for them at the start of his career and Sven is a proven scorer (when healthy). Their 1st round pick is around the 20th overall, and they downgrade to probably an early 30s pick next year from us.  Although they take on Louie's contract, they do get rid of Cogliano and Valeri.  

Why it works for Edmonton: They shed Lucic's contract, get a shutdown center and an old friend in Cogliano.  They also free up a spot for the expansion draft (otherwise they'd have to protect Lucic), and it costs them their 8th overall pick that gets downgraded to 20th overall (roughly). 

Why it works for us: We profit from our cap space by getting the 8th overall pick this year and a reclamation project in exchange for taking on Lucic's contract and our 2nd round pick next year.  This deal is pending on Lucic accepting to waive his NTC, so he doesn't need to be protected in the expansion draft. We also clear up a logjam at forward by shipping out three forwards (ages: 33, 30, 26) and taking two back (ages: 30 and 24).  Valeri only has one year left on his deal at 3 mil/season.  

Any trade we win makes me happy.  Do it now; forget about it later.  

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You know that VN had 10 assists and no goals last year right? 

No thanks. Pretty sure he's going to back to the KHL sooner rather than later. 

He's also as bad as Tanev for injuries. And is inconsistent and unmotivated. 

I could see Nichushkin dropping at least 7 goals and 20 assists if he gets spoonfed time with Petey like Goldy got in parts of the season. :ph34r: For real though, Nichushkin was mishandled. He had 46% ozone starts. For reference Pettersson and Boeser both had 70% ozone starts. Man had 70 hits in 57 games. I'd take a flier on him if there was an opportunity. Wouldn't give up anything major though. If they want Biega, Goldy or something low value for him. Screw it I am game. I defended Pouliot for two years hoping to see something. I can definitely give Nichushkin one. Lol.

13 hours ago, brownky said:

Hard pass.

As soon as I see Lucic coming here, the deal is dumb. Why would we add a player who is terrible and costs more money AND has a year longer on the deal?

We have a terrible player. We MIGHT get a chance to unload that one. Anyone who takes Lucic is simply doing Edmonton a massive favour.

Unless one of Bouchard, 8th OA, or Pujuljarvi is involved. I would absolutely take on Lucic for an add on like that. We then just need to work to unload Eriksson without retention to a cap floor team and send out Lucic with some retention. Lucic is a serviceable player at 3-4 million.

Say what you guys want with Pool party, this kids has all the tools to be a great player. He just needs the proper guidance.

4 hours ago, Seannnp said:

Unless one of Bouchard, 8th OA, or Pujuljarvi is involved. I would absolutely take on Lucic for an add on like that. We then just need to work to unload Eriksson without retention to a cap floor team and send out Lucic with some retention. Lucic is a serviceable player at 3-4 million.

Say what you guys want with Pool party, this kids has all the tools to be a great player. He just needs the proper guidance.

That's a point I'd disagree with. He's a negative on the ice, he's too damn slow. If you're paying a 4th liner 3-4 million bucks, you've got issues unless they have an extremely specific skillset that is used outside of the 4th line. IE; Faceoff / PK master. And even then, it's still not a great bargain.

Yes he's big, yes he hits when he can catch somebody. He's fought twice in the last 2 years, and can't keep up with the play. We'd be literally eating 2-3m in 'cap cost' for a guy who doesn't play for us, for 4 years. Or, we can look for a cheap out on Loui that's not much of a return/cost for either team, gets the guy off the books and we can move on with a guy internally.

For example: Derek Pouliot had all the tools to be a great player and just needed proper guidance. He was a ****ing tire fire because the tool he needed (the brain, from 'guidance') never showed up.

I'd rather take gambles on our guys that don't cost anything.

On 5/9/2019 at 4:30 PM, brownky said:

That's a point I'd disagree with. He's a negative on the ice, he's too damn slow. If you're paying a 4th liner 3-4 million bucks, you've got issues unless they have an extremely specific skillset that is used outside of the 4th line. IE; Faceoff / PK master. And even then, it's still not a great bargain.

Yes he's big, yes he hits when he can catch somebody. He's fought twice in the last 2 years, and can't keep up with the play. We'd be literally eating 2-3m in 'cap cost' for a guy who doesn't play for us, for 4 years. Or, we can look for a cheap out on Loui that's not much of a return/cost for either team, gets the guy off the books and we can move on with a guy internally.

For example: Derek Pouliot had all the tools to be a great player and just needed proper guidance. He was a ****ing tire fire because the tool he needed (the brain, from 'guidance') never showed up.

I'd rather take gambles on our guys that don't cost anything.

I guess I see your point but you have to balance the negative with the positive. I’m going to start a new thread on this idea having given it some serious thought but imagine Holland bites and gives us Pujuljarvi and something extra. 

Prople are concerned about the cap when Hughes and Petey are due for raises but that time there’s only 2 years left of Lucic and similar to Edmonton we could give up something of value, like a 2nd to move his contract with some retention. If I were to make a deal with Edmonton I would do 

Lucic, Pujuljarvi, 8th OA, 2nd round in 2019

for 

(25% retained) Sutter, 10OA

We get a reclamation project in Pujuljarvi, move up two spots which gives us a better chance at a player that drops in the draft, and a 2nd. We move Sutters 4.5 Million

Edmonton gets to keep their first round pick, move Lucic contract and pick up a 3C. 

Within two years we move Edler, Tanev, Schaller, Eriksson, Lucic since we do not need the cap space until then. That’s close to $24 million in space and likely at the expense of a 2nd round (Lucic) and a 4th (Eriksson) as 90% of his contract gets paid by then and it’s just the cap hit. 

Or or straight forward 

Lucic and 8th OA

for Sutter (retained 25%) 

Archived