The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

16-month-old boy dies after being left in hot car for 9 hours in Burnaby

DonLever

A very sad story:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5263497/child-dies-hot-car-burnaby/

A 16-month-old boy is dead after being left in a hot car in Burnaby on Thursday.

According to Acting Burnaby Fire Chief Dave Younger, firefighters were called to the 5600-block of Inman Avenue around 5:20 p.m., to reports of child locked in a vehicle.

Burnaby RCMP says the child was unconscious when first responders arrived. Sources tell Global News the boy was left in the vehicle for nine hours.

According to police, the boy’s father was located at the scene, and both parents are cooperating with the investigation.

“We understand that there are going to be many questions around this incident, however we would ask that the public understand we are still in the early stages of our investigation,” said Chief Supt. Deanne Burleigh, in a media release.

“We are still interviewing witnesses and are not at a point where any further information can be released.”

The BC Coroners Service is also investigating. Police said no one has been arrested in the incident.

Younger said when crews arrived, paramedics were removing the child from the vehicle.

The infant was transported to hospital in critical condition by paramedics, with firefighters assisting with CPR.

BC Emergency Health Services (BCEHS) said four units, including an advanced life support unit, arrived on scene within four minutes of receiving the call.

“With this kind of weather we’re having, yesterday we had record highs, this definitely wouldn’t be a time to leave your child at all in the car, or an animal, or anything,” said Younger.

“Very scary thing.”

Edited by DonLever

Press release from the RCMP:

"Police are asking that parents please be aware of the dangers associated with leaving your children in vehicles, particularly as the weather is getting warmer.

"Police are also asking that parents are vigilant when transporting their children, double checking the backseat of the vehicle to ensure it is clear before parking and leaving the vehicle," Mounties said in a press release.

I don't know about any other parents, but I've never needed any direction from the police on how to raise and take care of my children. The passive tone of the statement is also pretty pathetic. Frankly it should be a lot sterner and more damning to get the point across.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Press release from the RCMP:

"Police are asking that parents please be aware of the dangers associated with leaving your children in vehicles, particularly as the weather is getting warmer.

"Police are also asking that parents are vigilant when transporting their children, double checking the backseat of the vehicle to ensure it is clear before parking and leaving the vehicle," Mounties said in a press release.

I don't know about any other parents, but I've never needed any direction from the police on how to raise and take care of my children. The passive tone of the statement is also pretty pathetic. Frankly it should be a lot sterner and more damning to get the point across.

I guess parents have their hands full with their Starbucks coffees and cell phones and forget their child is in the car?....  SMH

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What kind of piece of $&!# parent leaves their 16 month old child in a car for even a minute? Hopefully the father is burned alive to get a sense of how his poor son felt before passing away.

Same thing happened in Quebec a few years back.

Busy family w 3 kids. Busy morning. Miscommunication between parents. Dead kid in a hot car.

• Upvote 2

Just now, redhdlois said:

I guess parents have their hands full with their Starbucks coffees and cell phones and forget their child is in the car?....  SMH

That might explain forgetting for an hour. Maybe you're bringing in groceries and get sidetracked etc, but after an hour aren't you going to ask yourself "where's the baby?"

The fact that it was 9 hours later leads me to believe they were probably high. How else do you forget your kid for 9 hours?

RIP Little man.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Boeserker said:

Busy family w 3 kids. Busy morning. Miscommunication between parents. Dead kid in a hot car.

Something is seriously wrong with our lifestyle if we ‘forget’ about our child ...anywhere. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

That might explain forgetting for an hour. Maybe you're bringing in groceries and get sidetracked etc, but after an hour aren't you going to ask yourself "where's the baby?"

The fact that it was 9 hours later leads me to believe they were probably high. How else do you forget your kid for 9 hours?

RIP Little man.

If this parent(s) is not charged in this case then our justice system really is a complete failure.... Absolute disgrace..

Edited by Ronaldoescobar
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5:20 PM...

9 hours in the car...

Emergency services arrived 4 minutes after receiving the call...

Whomever placed the  call didn't smash the window? 

9 hours while your 1.5 year old baby wasn't hanging out, making noises, crying, pulling your hair...

You mysteriously hired a babysitter without remembering?

Did you fall asleep on the couch after a long shift...for 9 hours with no child care...

Wow.

Just...wow. Cant wait to hear the pathetic attempts explaining this absolutely horrific mosiac of &^@#ups.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Boeserker said:

This was 9 hours. I find it hard to believe that a busy day was the prevailing issue that led to the child's lonely and horrific demise. And being busy is a pathetic excuse for leaving a child in a car to die.

By the way, directing my vitriol at the situation, not you.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

I have no &^@#ing clue. I'm just livid at stuff like this. Blood-boiling.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And in this case euthanized as well.

Nah that would be barbaric.  Lock the person in that same car for nine hours in the middle of a parking lot without any shade or food/water with the same weather conditions.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, falcon45ca said:

5:20 PM...

9 hours in the car...

Emergency services arrived 4 minutes after receiving the call...

Whomever placed the  call didn't smash the window? 

9 hours while your 1.5 year old baby wasn't hanging out, making noises, crying, pulling your hair...

You mysteriously hired a babysitter without remembering?

Did you fall asleep on the couch after a long shift...for 9 hours with no child care...

Wow.

Just...wow. Cant wait to hear the pathetic attempts explaining this absolutely horrific mosiac of &^@#ups.

Based on it being 9 hours I wonder if the parent forgot to drop the child at daycare before they went to work ?..  I dunno....

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This was 9 hours. I find it hard to believe that a busy day was the prevailing issue that led to the child's lonely and horrific demise. And being busy is a pathetic excuse for leaving a child in a car to die.

If you’re that busy, then don’t have kids.  Geezus 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Nah that would be barbaric.  Lock the person in that same car for nine hours in the middle of a parking lot without any shade or food/water with the same weather conditions.

Fair enough. I'd also suggest confining them to the seat with no means of freeing themselves.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

If you’re that busy, then don’t have kids.  Geezus 

I agree. Seriously. Sadly, even completely useless people can breed.

The first thing I did whenever I parked anywhere when driving my sons in hot weather, when they were younger, was to get them out of their car seats and out of the car. Before anything else in the car, regardless of what it was. They've always come first, and always will.

• Upvote 4