The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

16-month-old boy dies after being left in hot car for 9 hours in Burnaby

DonLever

That toddler was going to grow up into a full grown human being with ambitions, passions, personality, likes, dislikes ect. and he was robbed of all that because he got unlucky with irresponsible parents. Truly sad.

Edited by Xbox
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Xbox said:

That toddler was going to grow up into a full grown human being with ambitions, passions, personality, likes/dislikes ect. and he was robbed of all that because he got unlucky with irresponsible parents. Truly sad.

I’m all for culling 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

man some of yall are pretty quick to judge without hearing all the facts. This parent just lost their kid by making the most effed up mistake and yall are calling for Crucifixion.... maybe a little bit of compassion is in order for these people who will probably be haunted for the rest of their lives. Go watch Manchester by the Sea.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

man some of yall are pretty quick to judge without hearing all the facts. This parent just lost their kid by making the most effed up mistake and yall are calling for Crucifixion.... maybe a little bit of compassion is in order for these people who will probably be haunted for the rest of their lives. Go watch Manchester by the Sea.

Facts:

A baby boy died in a sweltering hot car.  Not before suffering immensely.

Parents "were located"  alive, not dead.

That's enough for me.

My good God, poor baby boy...my heart aches for you.   I can't fathom this kind of stuff.

• Upvote 2

Not defending this, but most of us tend to go on auto pilot in morning routines on the way to work. (ever found yourself driving home and suddenly realize you don't remember half the drive?)

I remember a story from a number of years ago.

last second morning change of plans, different parent dropping off the kid for daycare before work that usual.

Kid falls asleep in the car as you are driving. Forget they are there because they are not usually there, 

Auto pilot to work

Other parent doesn't worry because the child is with the other parent.

9 hr work day.

Spend the rest of your life in horror living with the worst thing I can imagine as a parent -- you let your child die.

Nothing we say here is remotely close to how that family feels.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

You're so off the mark with this comment. 

What "facts" could possibly excuse these 'parents' from what occurred here?

NINE HOURS.

Do you know how long that is? When you have a 16 month old who is likely crying a lot, usually in your arms if not in a stroller, and is fed often, you realize after 30 minutes that it's unusually quiet and calm. NINE HOURS they left the kid in the car and were 'located' at the scene. 

Probably off injecting themselves not even remembering they have a kid. 

I sincerely, genuinely hope they are haunted for the rest of their lives and don't ever get another guilt-free sleep in their life. 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, dm_ranger said:

Not defending this, but most of us tend to go on auto pilot in morning routines on the way to work. (ever found yourself driving home and suddenly realize you don't remember half the drive?)

last second morning change of plans, different parent dropping off the kid for daycare before work that usual.

Kid falls asleep in the car as you are driving. Forget they are there because they are not usually there, 

Auto pilot to work

9 hr work day.

Spend the rest of your life in horror living with the worst thing I can imagine as a parent -- you let your child die.

It's time to stop letting people off the hook by offering them sympathy for their stupidity. The deserve to feel every bit of shame and misery associated with this tragedy that they brought on themselves. They deserve every bit of spiteful comments directed their way.

• Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

Auto pilot to work

9 hr work day.

As soon as you put your child in the car, you know they're there. Looking at them in the rearview mirror whenever possible to check up on them, and as soon as you park you take them out.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As soon as you put your child in the car, you know they're there. Looking at them in the rearview mirror whenever possible to check up on them, and as soon as you park you take them out.

My wife and have a newborn son who was born 5 weeks early and any time he is in the car, I'm constantly wondering if the seatbelt is choking him to death cuz he's so little. How you can forget an infant anywhere is beyond comprehension to me.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yep.  I'm the parent that always do a head count every so often.   My kids, friends kids, etc.  Heck, I also check to make sure I got everything from the car.  Bags, phone, etc.  

18 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

Auto pilot to work

9 hr work day.

There is no auto piloting that can be excused....children depend on us to be focused, attentive and on the ball.

Despite this being something they'll have to live with....they get that luxury.  Their baby does not.

I don't honestly care how they feel...I care that they let a baby die in a horrific way.  While they?   Checked updates?  Filed their taxes?  Nothing on the list should make you "forget" your child. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

That toddler was going to grow up into a full grown human being with ambitions, passions, personality, likes, dislikes ect. and he was robbed of all that because he got unlucky with irresponsible parents. Truly sad.

Or he was spared a questionable life having been under the influence of these parents...

No need to make this over dramatic reaction. A life is a life. Everyone has 'ambitions, passions' etc. Not everyone is that lucky to achieve them.

• Wat 1