The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

16-month-old boy dies after being left in hot car for 9 hours in Burnaby

DonLever

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I once heard a line about raising small children that struck me as bang on....it was something to the effect of "It's short periods of joy. surrounded by long intervals of terror".

My girls are all grown now, but I can vividly recall, checking their cribs every half hour or so when they were infants....looking around in fear when we were outdoors and it occurred to me that I hadn't seen them in a few minutes....

....it's absolutely unfathomable to me that responsible parents could not know there whereabouts of an infant for an hour, let alone 9 hours. I can't imagine any scenario where the "explanation" comes out and I think, "Oh, yeah. That makes sense".

It's because there isn't one.

2 hours ago, dm_ranger said:

Not defending this, but most of us tend to go on auto pilot in morning routines on the way to work. (ever found yourself driving home and suddenly realize you don't remember half the drive?)

I remember a story from a number of years ago.

last second morning change of plans, different parent dropping off the kid for daycare before work that usual.

Kid falls asleep in the car as you are driving. Forget they are there because they are not usually there, 

Auto pilot to work

Other parent doesn't worry because the child is with the other parent.

9 hr work day.

Spend the rest of your life in horror living with the worst thing I can imagine as a parent -- you let your child die.

Nothing we say here is remotely close to how that family feels.

If our society is on auto pilot, maybe it’s time to slow down and pay attention and be more present.  

1 hour ago, Violator said:

Saw a news story about parents making a psa about child drownings.this is part of the same kind of neglect as that people that loose a kid because of neglect shouldnt be allowed to have more children.

Reminds me....a few days ago a child of similar age “slipped” through a railing on the dock at Porteau Cove into the water.  The first thing I thought of was “where were the parents?”   

Wouldn’t you be holding a toddlers hand if you were on a dock over water with open railings?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, dm_ranger said:

Not defending this, but most of us tend to go on auto pilot in morning routines on the way to work. (ever found yourself driving home and suddenly realize you don't remember half the drive?)

I remember a story from a number of years ago.

last second morning change of plans, different parent dropping off the kid for daycare before work that usual.

Kid falls asleep in the car as you are driving. Forget they are there because they are not usually there, 

Auto pilot to work

Other parent doesn't worry because the child is with the other parent.

9 hr work day.

Spend the rest of your life in horror living with the worst thing I can imagine as a parent -- you let your child die.

Nothing we say here is remotely close to how that family feels.

Thanks for this. Brave post to write and very true. So many of these deaths happen every year, and the majority of them are completely accidental.

Here’s a good article that gets into the how’s and why’s of these tragedies:

https://www.parents.com/baby/safety/car/youd-never-forget-your-child-in-the-car-right/

Even model parents who try to “do everything right” can fall prey to a combination of circumstances that can exploit flaws in human neurology and result in horrific consequences. 

We want to believe that this could never happen to us. There must be something wrong with the parents. How could they forget about a child?

The sad truth is that in the vast majority of cases, these parents loved their kids just as much as we do. They took all the same precautions we do. And then, at some point, something disrupted their routine, their brain gets short circuited, they go into autopilot, and yes, they forget about the most important thing in their lives.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thanks for this. Brave post to write and very true. So many of these deaths happen every year, and the majority of them are completely accidental.

https://www.parents.com/baby/safety/car/youd-never-forget-your-child-in-the-car-right/

Even model parents who try to “do everything right” can fall prey to a combination of circumstances that can exploit flaws in human neurology and result in horrific consequences. 

We want to believe that this could never happen to us. There must be something wrong with the parents. How could they forget about a child?

The sad truth is that in the vast majority of cases, these parents loved their kids just as much as we do. They took all the same precautions we do. And then, at some point, something disrupted their routine, their brain gets short circuited, they go into autopilot, and yes, they forget about the most important thing in their lives.

I’m just calling “meh” here.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

How do you over dramatize the needless, careless, reckless, negligent death of an infant?

We're not talking a 90 year old with cancer who's lived a full life here.  Toddlers rely on us...when they die because we leave them in a hot car, that's about the most dramatic death there is.

I'm not downplaying this death of a toddler, though I completely understand if people take it that way. His/her death is sad and wrong. But there are bigger problems outside of this incident. All I was doing was expanding the scope of tragedy.

If these parents can't even raise a toddler properly without killing it, they are unfit parents period.

And there are even more unfit parents that manage to keep kids alive, but don't do a good job raising them.

There's got to be more to this story. While still really dumb, leaving your kid in the car for 20 minutes would maybe be understandable. Like not acceptable, but you'd be like, okay maybe some $&!# went down or something.

But 9 hours? That's got to be on purpose, or drug related or something. How do you just forget for that long about your own kid?

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough. I'd also suggest confining them to the seat with no means of freeing themselves.

In this case shoot both parents in the head.  No questions.  No chance to explain.  Just shoot the in the head, roll their dead bodies into a ditch, and let nature take its course.  

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I'm not downplaying this death of a toddler, though I completely understand if people take it that way. His/her death is sad and wrong. But there are bigger problems outside of this incident. All I was doing was expanding the scope of tragedy.

If these parents can't even raise a toddler properly without killing it, they are unfit parents period.

And there are even more unfit parents that manage to keep kids alive, but don't do a good job raising them.

What a great time to choose to do so. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hours.

Not seconds. Not minutes.

Hours.

Hours.

Next folks will try & justify 9 days...just absent minded, whoopsie! It could happen to anyone...

If you wanna swallow that tripe, go ahead & be my guest. I don't envy the flavour.

9 hours.

• Upvote 3

My wife has some very hard line right wing opinions on what should happen to the parent responsible.  I feel there should be punishment but most has been paid in the pain these two are dealing with right now. Couldn’t imagine. Our society is getting dumber and dumber by the year. 

• Like 1

Maybe it's cuz I watched Anthony Jesselnik's new stand up on Netflix the other night but my first thought was a joke I'll keep to myself......

How the &^@# do forget your kid for 9 hours?  Nine minutes seems already rather excessive.....