The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trans individuals are killing female sports

sam13371337

Just now, Alflives said:

More top women athletes need to educate themselves on this issue, and speak up.  

Sure. And many are. But female athletes speaking up or not, is irrelevant to the injustice being done to them as a principle. Its like saying since muslim women do not whine about the lack of equality for women in Islam, Islam is eglatarian. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 7:33 PM, Whaleroad Train said:

So what gender is someone who has XXY chromosomes? or XXXY? or XXYY? or XXX? or XXXX? or XXXXX?  What Gender is X with a blank?  Y with a blank?  Also what gender is someone born with AIS? The human being is one hell of a lot more complicated than you have been taught in High school Biology class I'm afraid.

What percentage of humans is affected by this genetic variation? 

On 5/11/2019 at 7:33 PM, Whaleroad Train said:

So what gender is someone who has XXY chromosomes? or XXXY? or XXYY? or XXX? or XXXX? or XXXXX?  What Gender is X with a blank?  Y with a blank?  Also what gender is someone born with AIS? The human being is one hell of a lot more complicated than you have been taught in High school Biology class I'm afraid.

Depends on the culture you ask. Gender isn't completely present in all humanity. There are plenty of languages too, where gender == sex, where binary sex gets each its gender and everything else, including your feelings, get the third gender. This whole 'gender is a social concept, where it varies from actual sex' is more or less a western linguistic construct, not shared by many non-western cultures. Given how the European languages are near the bottom end of the spectrum as far as structurally sound languages go, its time for them to adapt by the better examples that exist in human existence. 

5 hours ago, surtur said:

What percentage of humans is affected by this genetic variation? 

I honestly don't know the answer to that.  I studied genetics (Psychology) at Uni about 35 years ago, so my knowledge is way out of date.  All I know is how stunned I was to be taught through high school that we were all supposed to be either XX or XY, and then to find out a few years later that it was all a load of bunkum. 

55 minutes ago, Whaleroad Train said:

I honestly don't know the answer to that.  I studied genetics (Psychology) at Uni about 35 years ago, so my knowledge is way out of date.  All I know is how stunned I was to be taught through high school that we were all supposed to be either XX or XY, and then to find out a few years later that it was all a load of bunkum. 

It isn't a load of bunkum when 99.9% of the population is XX and XY. Accidental oddities happen when we have genetics concerned,you should've known that. Saying XX and XY are bunkum because 0.1% of the population ( and i am being generous here) is something else, is like saying having ten fingers is a load of bunkum because 1 in 10,000 babies are born with 11 or 12 fingers.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Thought this thread read as....   Trans Athletes are killing it...

Would be a much more interesting read TBH......

Could you even imagine the Trans-Blues against the Bi-Bruins, in the stanley cup final? You think holding is a penalty now.....boarding? To hell with that....just part of her game. 

“Its rape culture.....that trans woman put herself right in front of the goalie, bent over, and lunged toward the goalie in a hip check, but there was head contact as their lips touched lightly. 69 game suspension because gear came off and we needed an ice crew to clean up after...10..minutes...for Toronto to tell us what to do. “

10 hours ago, canuckistani said:

It isn't a load of bunkum when 99.9% of the population is XX and XY. Accidental oddities happen when we have genetics concerned,you should've known that. Saying XX and XY are bunkum because 0.1% of the population ( and i am being generous here) is something else, is like saying having ten fingers is a load of bunkum because 1 in 10,000 babies are born with 11 or 12 fingers.

Firstly, they are not accidental oddities, as there is nothing accidental in their creation. These variations occur because statistically they must occur.  No accident is required.  

Secondly, if someone tells me that everyone on the planet only has ten fingers and I then find out that some in our population have a different number to that - then I would say that the person who told me that you can only have ten is talking bunkum. Just because it is a rarer variation does not make it non existent.

The silliest part of this discussion is that we have got away from the main point of discussion, which was that someone said that the XX, XY should be the determination point for female or male competition.  I was just trying to point out that there are certain people who would not be covered by such a determination.  It would be like banning the population of Hong Kong (7.5 million) from competing in competitions around the world due to them not being the right genetic combination.

16 hours ago, Whaleroad Train said:

Firstly, they are not accidental oddities, as there is nothing accidental in their creation. These variations occur because statistically they must occur.  No accident is required.

Sophistry. Statistical anomalies are often termed as accidental oddities. 

Secondly, if someone tells me that everyone on the planet only has ten fingers and I then find out that some in our population have a different number to that - then I would say that the person who told me that you can only have ten is talking bunkum. Just because it is a rarer variation does not make it non existent.

Sounds like you are too wrapped up in the word 'only' - i hope you never use it then, because outside of physics research paper, almost all use of the word 'only' is statistical falsehood, too. 

The silliest part of this discussion is that we have got away from the main point of discussion, which was that someone said that the XX, XY should be the determination point for female or male competition.

Indeed. For various reasons as said. First off, in many languages, the term IS male and female competition.  For second, female sports is a protected sports, just like paralympics. Feelings do not determine eligibility in protected sports. 

I was just trying to point out that there are certain people who would not be covered by such a determination.

Sure. and that is fine. Sometimes certain people have to be excluded for fairness purposes. Inclusivity cannot be the cover for unfair advantages. 

It would be like banning the population of Hong Kong (7.5 million) from competing in competitions around the world due to them not being the right genetic combination.

Nope, it would be like preventing the population of Hong Kong to join a category of sports where they have a decisive unfair advantage and end up shafting the rest of 3.5  billion female sportsperson for it. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2019 at 10:50 AM, riffraff said:

Stopped reading at toxic masculinity.

Someone once said:

It is the mark of an educated mind to entertain an idea without accepting it.

It's unfortunate so many on this site allow their ego to dictate what they learn and think.

There's apparently a great cultural malaise afflicting Canucks fans. The politics of this site are obscene.

1 hour ago, 112 said:

Someone once said:

It is the mark of an educated mind to entertain an idea without accepting it.

It's unfortunate so many on this site allow their ego to dictate what they learn and think.

There's apparently a great cultural malaise afflicting Canucks fans. The politics of this site are obscene.

I can take the judgement.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/31/2019 at 4:43 PM, MystifyNCrucify said:

Could you even imagine the Trans-Blues against the Bi-Bruins, in the stanley cup final? You think holding is a penalty now.....boarding? To hell with that....just part of her game. 

“Its rape culture.....that trans woman put herself right in front of the goalie, bent over, and lunged toward the goalie in a hip check, but there was head contact as their lips touched lightly. 69 game suspension because gear came off and we needed an ice crew to clean up after...10..minutes...for Toronto to tell us what to do. “

So Marchand has even more ulterior motives than we thought for his antics. ;)

On 5/30/2019 at 9:40 AM, naslund.is.king said:

@Jimmy McGill is just licking his chops at all the potential money hes gonna make.

• Haha 1