The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hughes or Kakko?

Hughes or Kakko?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hughes. The kid made one of the most competitive developmental leagues his little b****. He makes everything look easy out there. Fast, shifty, hockey IQ is through the roof, passing is sublime, skating is fantastic, vision is off the charts. This stuff isn't an accident. Kakko is good, no doubt. But, when it all boils down - I believe Jack will be a better point producing player in the NHL, and sooner.

Hughes for one reason and one reason only: he's a center while Kakko's a winger. Both will be good but center depth is more important in the end.

A similar situation happened with Matthews and Laine as well where there were a lot of questions up to the draft about who would be picked (or it could have been the Toronto media overhyping that too).

On 5/12/2019 at 8:28 PM, CanadianRugby said:

Not specifically for the Canucks (bro connection), but in general.  Who is better, who do you take 1st overall?  Discuss.

It's so hard to separate players like this - I think all other things being equal, I'd tend to lean towards taking the center over a winger - but otherwise, in a context like this I think I'd personally lean towards Kakko.  If Hughes were all that with a bit more than 5'10', 170ls to him (I know that's reductive, but it plays into the complete game) he may be more tempting, but it'll remain to be seen how multi-dimensional he will become.

On 5/19/2019 at 4:20 AM, The Lock said:

Hughes for one reason and one reason only: he's a center while Kakko's a winger. Both will be good but center depth is more important in the end.

This.

I still think Kakko has the potential to seriously dominate, but it's a toss-up. The fact that they're both so talented, you have to look at other elements, and the huge trump card is the position.

In the poll, I voted Kakko because I think he'll be the better player, but I still think without a doubt that Hughes goes first.

Archived