The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal]Eriksson + 10th for Lucic + Bouchard

25 minutes ago, King Heffy said:Saw him play live in training camp, pre tournament games, and in the actual tournament.  He shouldn't have made the team and played like absolute trash in literally every single game I saw him in.  Absolutely zero hockey sense in his own end, poorly timed pinches, and easy to go wide on.  Only going based on my own eyes instead of blindly regurgitating other's opinions.

So what.  I’ve watched the juniors play too a few years in a row back east including the gold medal loss to the US. And watched OJ live in the AHL this year And guess what he was utter trash too one game and was benched.  Brisbois was way better than him the games I saw ... does that make him the better defenseman?.  Maybe.   Have you watched him play in London?  Do you have seasons tickets so you can get a sample size big enough to judge him?  

Every player had bad games, even Gretzky he had quite a few where his offensive game ended up with the puck in his own net.   You have to look at his body of work, the WJs are vastly overrated and players who would have gone in the second or third round play great and end up getting drafted too early. It happens all the time (Puljajarvi and OJ recently, not that Puljarvi wouldn’t have gone high anyways, but OJ went from a late first or early second rounder to fight overall). 

Again two years in a row OHL defenseman is the year, 21 points in 11 playoff games this year, best passer of his draft class, great point shot, decent size, elite backwards skating, an ox who plays half of every game...why wouldn’t you want that on our team?  Because you didn’t like what you saw in a tournament?    Based on that logic OJ will never make the NHL and Dahlen will be a star (based on the games I watched).   Good grief, I get it you don’t like the guy, but don’t ignore everything the experts say about him, or what he’s accomplished so far as a hockey player.

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Chabot isn’t the brightest bulb on the tree, so I don’t see the comparison to Bouchard.  Chabot makes up for a lack of quick thinking with fabulous skating.  Bouchard is the opposite.  He’s really hockey smart, but struggles skating.  

Chabot was a man among boys in the WJs, controlled the play better than anyone in the tournament when he was on the ice.   We would have won if he could have played the entire game.  He has size and his pedigree were very similar to where Bouchard is right now before he started in OTT.  That is right at it near the tippy tip of best defenseman not in the NHL yet.  At the time White was also right near the top too, damn OTT drafts well. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, IBatch said:

So what.  I’ve watched the juniors play too a few years in a row back east including the gold medal loss to the US. And watched OJ live in the AHL this year And guess what he was utter trash too one game and was benched.  Brisbois was way better than him the games I saw ... does that make him the better defenseman?.  Maybe.   Have you watched him play in London?  Do you have seasons tickets so you can get a sample size big enough to judge him?  

Every player had bad games, even Gretzky he had quite a few where his offensive game ended up with the puck in his own net.   You have to look at his body of work, the WJs are vastly overrated and players who would have gone in the second or third round play great and end up getting drafted too early. It happens all the time (Puljajarvi and OJ recently, not that Puljarvi wouldn’t have gone high anyways, but OJ went from a late first or early second rounder to fight overall). 

Again two years in a row OHL defenseman is the year, 21 points in 11 playoff games this year, best passer of his draft class, great point shot, decent size, elite backwards skating, an ox who plays half of every game...why wouldn’t you want that on our team?  Because you didn’t like what you saw in a tournament?    Based on that logic OJ will never make the NHL and Dahlen will be a star (based on the games I watched).   Good grief, I get it you don’t like the guy, but don’t ignore everything the experts say about him, or what he’s accomplished so far as a hockey player.

I think there's a vast difference from a guy who didn't have a great tournament but is clearly going to be an NHLer and a guy who was a total liability and didn't even belong on the ice with his teammates.  Bouchard was lucky DiPietro stood on his head to mitigate the damage his defensive meltdowns caused.  I didn't see a good passer; I saw a guy who was great at passing to the other team's forwards and had a point shot that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.  Decent size and ability to play a lot is useless if the quality of play is low because the player in question is too stupid to play defense.  Scouts were questioning his compete level and hockey sense before the tournament, and those 2 issues caused massive problems for our team.  I don't care what else you can do, if your'e unable to play defense at the level expected of an NHler, lazy, and stupid, I don't want you on my team.

Sure, there are outliers, but it's definitely concerning when a guy as highly touted as Bouchard shows absolutely zero evidence of having the ability to play in the NHL.  Scouts flock to that tournament for a reason. We aren't just talking a game or two;  Bouchard was a total liability every single game.  That's a concerning sample size for a guy with that sort of pedigree.  There is also a lot of history of guys who put up good numbers in junior against inferior competition, but can never step up their game at the pro level.  Usually, compete level and/or hockey sense is a major limiting factor.  See Pouliot and Gudbranson for examples.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

On 5/13/2019 at 2:53 PM, King Heffy said:

Saw him play live in training camp, pre tournament games, and in the actual tournament.  He shouldn't have made the team and played like absolute trash in literally every single game I saw him in.  Absolutely zero hockey sense in his own end, poorly timed pinches, and easy to go wide on.  Only going based on my own eyes instead of blindly regurgitating other's opinions.

He's great offensively but here's what scares me about him. 

Lazy and floats a lot defensively 

Gets walked easily

decision making is absolutely abysmal 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Gudbransons_Elbow said:

He's great offensively but here's what scares me about him. 

Lazy and floats a lot defensively 

Gets walked easily

decision making is absolutely abysmal 

Fits right in with the Oil! :lol:

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2019 at 6:23 AM, IBatch said:

Not gay at all.  Bouchard even better draft plus one, he’s a candidate to make the NHL this year as juniors have nothing else to offer.  As far as skating goes he’s faster then Edler, and is getting faster, plus his backwards skating is better than anyone in last years draft.  He checks all the boxes is what you want from your number one defenseman, him and Hughes would be a top line in the NHL one day.  We won’t get a better defenseman in the draft this year or player at 10.  To me that’s worth Lucic, we could buy him out next CBA, yes we have to protect one more player but I think it’s worth it.  Play him like a 4th line plug if that’s all he’s got left, at least he can bang heads and protect the young guys.  Good post.

I think Bouchard can go to the AHL next season. So it's not CHL or NHL for him.

On 5/12/2019 at 9:46 PM, Hindustan Smyl said:

[proposal]Eriksson + 10th for Lucic + Bouchard

Yay, nay, or gay?

Not sure why so many people on here Say we should move Erikson for lucic. Both players suck but Erikssons a little better. Yes lucic is tough and hits but hard to Be effective when your 30 ft behind the play suckin wind. 

Both contracts are just albatrosses Eriksons is shorter and on July 1 become only 9 mil of real money left and a modified ntc for the expansion draft. Yes adding lucic might add another piece along with him but with his contract we r gonna lose a key player due to finances before lucics contract is up. 

NO MORE LUCIC

JUST SAY NOOOOO

Edited by Bure1010

55 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I think Bouchard can go to the AHL next season. So it's not CHL or NHL for him.

AHL it is.  He played in the AHL playoffs for the Condors and was 3rd on his team with 3g  5a  and a +3 in 8 games.  Not bad for a rookie.  Nuck fans are underrating him.

It's probably a good proposal, but I really don't want Lucic or his contract on the Canucks, so I say nay.

33 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

AHL it is.  He played in the AHL playoffs for the Condors and was 3rd on his team with 3g  5a  and a +3 in 8 games.  Not bad for a rookie.  Nuck fans are underrating him.

It's probably a good proposal, but I really don't want Lucic or his contract on the Canucks, so I say nay.

It's not that he's bad per se. I just think he peaks as worse skating, Gardiner-like D as his ceiling.

Now a potential 40+ point D is certainly nothing to sneeze at but there's other players I'd prefer.

Edited by aGENT

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

It's not that he's bad per se. I just think he peaks as worse skating, Gardiner-like D as his ceiling.

Now a potential 40+ point D is certainly nothing to sneeze at but there's other players I'd prefer.

A worse skating Gardiner is so much of a defensive liability he wouldn't even be good enough for the AHL.  Probably his ceiling, which is worse than useless hockey player.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

A worse skating Gardiner is so much of a defensive liability he wouldn't even be good enough for the AHL.  Probably his ceiling, which is a village l worse than useless hockey player.

Man your not a fan.  He’s already shown in limited time he can play in the AHL.  He won’t be there long.  Soon he will be sending McDavid on breakaways and burining our bacon.  

Edit:  21 points in 11 OHL playoff games, 8 points in 8 AHL games and 3 goals ... what a putz.

On his skating, it’s not any different than Edlers or A.P.  in St. Lupus or Weber in MTL, and he’s the best backwards skater of his draft class including Hughes.   But he must suck becuase he didn’t make the litmus test at the WJs.   I’d take Bouchard over OJ in a second.  Heck he practically outplayed him as an underager in OJs draft year....but OJ had a great WJs and they won the gold all three Laine, Puljajarvi and OJ were drafted top five as a result.  Of the three only Laine has done anything and he had a huge slump this year...the WJs don’t mean squat, the body of work is what matters most.

Edited by IBatch

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Man your not a fan.  He’s already shown in limited time he can play in the AHL.  He won’t be there long.  Soon he will be sending McDavid on breakaways and burining our bacon.  

Edit:  21 points in 11 OHL playoff games, 8 points in 8 AHL games and 3 goals ... what a putz.

On his skating, it’s not any different than Edlers or A.P.  in St. Lupus or Weber in MTL, and he’s the best backwards skater of his draft class including Hughes.   But he must suck becuase he didn’t make the litmus test at the WJs.   I’d take Bouchard over OJ in a second.  Heck he practically outplayed him as an underager in OJs draft year....but OJ had a great WJs and they won the gold all three Laine, Puljajarvi and OJ were drafted top five as a result.  Of the three only Laine has done anything and he had a huge slump this year...the WJs don’t mean squat, the body of work is what matters most.

The issue isn;'t his offense, it's his defense, which is simply unacceptable at any level.  Edler, AP, and Weber all have functioning brains and are good defensively.  Slow and stupid is not a good combination.  I'm a hell of a lot more comfortable with OJ's ability to play defense than this pylon.  Boeser and EP will have a field day walking around him and receiving centering passes from him in the Oilers zone.  Can't wait to see him stink up the joint in Edmonton.

39 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

A worse skating Gardiner is so much of a defensive liability he wouldn't even be good enough for the AHL.  Probably his ceiling, which is a village l worse than useless hockey player.

He's not that bad :lol: Likely be a decent, offensive 2nd pair guy in his prime. But there's a LOT of other D I'd prefer to add that would likely cost a similar amount in trade.

I certainly wouldn't swap LE/ML and add our 10th though.

And that's fine, I don't see EDM moving him anyway. His main strength is their biggest need... Despite his other weaknesses.

Edited by aGENT

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal]Eriksson + 10th for Lucic + Bouchard