The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ryan Kesler undergoes successful hip surgery, unlikely to play in the 2019-20 NHL season

Rate this topic

Ryan Kesler underwent successful right hip resurfacing surgery on Thursday, May 9 in New York. The surgery was performed by Dr. Edwin Su. Hip resurfacing is a bone-preserving hip replacement that can provide pain relief and increase function in normal activities of daily living. The surgery does leave open the possibility that Kesler could resume his NHL career following a lengthy recovery.

"As we all know, Ryan has been fiercely battling his condition for quite some time," said Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray. "I've been extremely impressed by his determination to play despite being significantly injured. At this point, Ryan needs to think about his life and family. The pain he felt was significant and we agree with his decision to have this surgery. While it's unlikely he will play in 2019-20, we will support any decision he makes about his future playing career. He deserves the utmost respect, which he will receive from the entire Ducks organization as he contemplates his future."

"At this point in my career, this surgery was the best option for my quality of life," said Kesler. "The pain I was suffering has been greatly reduced since the procedure, and I'm grateful for that. While my playing future is unknown, I'm in a good place. I want to thank all the doctors and trainers as part of 'Team Kesler,' my teammates, my agent Kurt Overhardt, the Ducks organization, the fans, and most importantly, my family, for their support. I'm extremely appreciative of everyone that has helped me through the process. I look forward to spending more time with my family and doing everyday activities without pain."

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/kesler-undergoes-successful-hip-surgery/c-307371022

• Cheers 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Report] Ryan Kesler undergoes successful hip surgery, unlikely to play in the 2019-20 NHL season

His playing style was never going to lead to a lengthy career.

More and more we see players leaning to better quality of life post-career over stretching everything they can out of their bodies at the expense of their physical and mental health. 

The message is getting through to the new generation - take your lifetime earnings and enjoy exactly that - your life.  Whereas the older generation really never made that much money and all they had was the glory of the game unfortunately. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Too bad Canuck fans (en masse) didn't respect him after he left. The guy was a Canuck Legend.

One good playoff series 8-9 years ago warrants legendary status? He was never even a point-a-game player at any time during his career. But okay, he didn't get my vote.

He's going to have top be a warrior rehabbing that bad boy lol (I find that the term warrior is really overused for this guy) Burrows was a warrior.

• Wat 6
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Boeserker said:

Legendary douche bag.

Character matters. Even more so when your career is over. Look at Messier's legacy. Same fate awaits Marchand.

I'd love to hear the Sedins confirm your OPINION. I bet they agree with me.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?

In retrospect he made the right move for his career. He got to the playoffs several times and as soon as the Canucks were able to get competitive again, his career looks like it might be over. Imagine the regret that he would have had if he wasted away his last years on a bottom dweller. The same people who hate on Kesler for wanting a chance to win are the same ones who rip on Edler for not wanting to take a trade in order to win.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

One incredible playoff run you mean, which included carrying the team on his back through Nashville and being the hardest working player by a long shot. A major piece of arguably the best Canucks team of all time.

You are exactly who I am talking about.

It was one playoff series. Where was he when Marchand was using Daniel's face as a punching bag? Legend pfft I'm not giving credit for the 2011 SCF run to Kesler, sorry.

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It was one playoff series. Where was he when Marchand was using Daniel's face as a punching bag? Legend pfft I'm not giving credit for the 2011 SCF run to Kesler, sorry.

On the other line. Guess how far they would have gotten without him? A first round sweep exit.

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Frankly, regarding the speed bagging, Daniel should fed Marchand some shots to the face in retribution. No one else needed to step in.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

40 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

One good playoff series 8-9 years ago warrants legendary status? He was never even a point-a-game player at any time during his career. But okay, he didn't get my vote.

He's going to have top be a warrior rehabbing that bad boy lol (I find that the term warrior is really overused for this guy) Burrows was a warrior.

Who was on the Sedin line when Daniel was getting punched? Kesler or Burrows? Does that mean you no longer think of Burrows as a warrior?

1 minute ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

On the other line. Guess how far they would have gotten without him? A first round sweep exit.

I can agree that he played a big role in the 2011 SCF run, especially round 3. But so did the twins, Burrows, Lu, Ehrhoff, Edler, Hamhuis, Lapierre, Bieksa, Salo and Torres etc. The twins led the team in points that playoffs, so saying "legendary" is a bit of a stretch. The media probably remembers that NSH series well, that was Kesler's career highlight. It's been all downhill since.  

• Upvote 3