The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ryan Kesler undergoes successful hip surgery, unlikely to play in the 2019-20 NHL season

Rate this topic

12 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Too bad Canuck fans (en masse) didn't respect him after he left. The guy was a Canuck Legend.

He was. Like him or not, the guy gave 150% everytime he was on the ice, and did whatever it took to win. I'd rather have a player that gave his everything on the ice (Kesler) and left because he was a chasing a championship, rather than a guy who just plodded and stayed loyal to the team (Edler). Kesler barely took a shift off ever as a Canuck and quite honestly, thats all you can ask for

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

One good playoff series 8-9 years ago warrants legendary status? He was never even a point-a-game player at any time during his career. But okay, he didn't get my vote.

He's going to have top be a warrior rehabbing that bad boy lol (I find that the term warrior is really overused for this guy) Burrows was a warrior.

This is such a stupid comment. Point-per-game doesn't matter when you have the best 2-way player in the game. He was nominated several times for the Selke, which (in my opinion) really nominates the best all around hockey player in the league. He got it done on the defensive end for us AND still scored 41 goals. Without Kes, we don't win the President's trophy and we don't make the cup finals. 

Don't let him leaving cloud your judgment. This guy was a legend and one of the best to ever wear a Canuck jersey. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, gurn said:

some of those people are the same, not all  of them though.

I am ok with Kesler wanting to leave, but he handcuffed the team on his way out the door,  imo,  a classless thing to do.

Edler wants to stay and had a NTC which he negotiated for by taking a yearly salary hit. I am fine with him staying for the duration of that contract and am willing to sign him to a short term NTC again; as long as the ntc expires prior to the expansion draft.

Why is it classless? He signed a contract with a NTC. The GM found him to be a respected and pivotal player that, if he was to be traded, he would be in charge of where he was to go. You can't blame him for taking advantage of terms that was agreed on between him and management. He was 30 and had a family, it's terrible to think that he shouldn't have a say in where he wanted to raise his kids. Give your head a shake. 

51 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Why is it classless? He signed a contract with a NTC. The GM found him to be a respected and pivotal player that, if he was to be traded, he would be in charge of where he was to go. You can't blame him for taking advantage of terms that was agreed on between him and management. He was 30 and had a family, it's terrible to think that he shouldn't have a say in where he wanted to raise his kids. Give your head a shake. 

He agreed to a no trade clause. Then broke his word, then handcuffed the team by only wanting to go to 2 places, one of which was almost impossible to do.

He did have a say in where he wanted to raise his kids.... then said to heck with them, I want out. Even more classless when you think of it that way as well.

I don't have the warm and fuzzy feeling for Kes like I do other former Canucks from that era (like Burr and Luo, even Raymond and Lappy) but I don't wish him ill either. He was a great player for us for years. He moved on. The fans here should do their best to move on too.

I'm just sad that, like Bieksa, he's having trouble accepting the end of his playing career. I hope he recovers from this surgery and finds a way to move into the next chapter of his life.

Edited by poetica
  • Cheers 1

I do not have much respect for Kesler especially after how he left, plus all the nonsense he does on and off the ice. So part of me is glad he did not and will likely never win a big championship.

However, it sucks that this had to be the only option left for him to keep playing. I will be a bigger person and Wish him well.

I’m pretty neutral here. Never liked the guy but admit he was a good player. Nowhere near legendary by any stretch. 

I’m more annoyed that Ducks get LTIR cap relief for that albatross contract. Yet Canucks will inevitably have to pay for Luongo’s...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 11:14 AM, Top Sven Baercheese said:

I disagree.  The NTC is agreed on to protect the player from getting moved. Fair enough. But don't you think that if a team makes a commitment to a player that there is a moral obligation for the player to make any commitment to the team?  Did signing his contract not imply a commitment in the first place?

If I vow not to cheat on my wife, is it not reasonable to expect she will not cheat on me either?  Is an agreement made between two parties in good faith not expected to benefit both parties?

Even if you don't agree with that, the fact remains that there is nothing in a NTC that states that if the player changes his mind it also provides the player the inherent right to demand he be traded to one team only. To make such a demand puts the GM in a situation where he has little to no power to get a decent return. All things considered, I think it is amazing Benning got what he did.

If Kesler said he wanted to get traded and was willing to go anywhere, I would still have high respect for him.  If he asked to be traded to a contender only I would be miffed, but would still understand he wanted a chance at a cup.  But to demand a trade that hurt his team just because he wanted his cake and eat it too is what made me lose respect for him. I understand the reason behind what he did, but it was selfish and showed everyone that when it came right down to it, the only thing Ryan cared about was Ryan.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 12:46 PM, -AJ- said:

Setting himself up nicely for the 2021 Masterton.

Would absolutely love to see this happen. 

Ryan was a die hard Canuck for a decade. His final year he was disinterested and our dynasty had disassembled... It's too bad but we ended up getting very fair value for him. Last year he had 60 games and 8 points with a 7 mill cap. What are we us Canucks fans so bitter about now? We've won the trade and now Kesler deserves to be celebrated as a hero amongst Canucks nation. He's the only Canuck to win the Selke and in my books was robbed of it in 2010 as well. He should have had back to back selkes and even deserved one in Anaheim. 

Ryan gave it his all for 10 years for this franchise, he deserves some damn respect. 

Not many took the 2011 Gregory Campbell cup harder than Ryan did. Give the man some respect. Beast mode Kesler was magnificent. 

tumblr_lmv99hRewa1qff0tw.gif

I have started to proudy wear my Kesler jerseys again. 

People like to complain about him only giving us two trading partners; Chicago and Anaheim but how is that not his right? He took a 1 million AAV discount at the time in exchange for an NTC. Power to him to enforcing it to his employer. 

And he never had an affair with Schneiders gf... Cory ended up marrying the girl. 

Remember him as the fan favorite who was the best 2nd line center in the game. Ryan gave his all for this franchise and he deserves to be respected and celebrated imo. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, apollo said:

Chicago and Anaheim but how is that not his right? He took a 1 million AAV discount at the time in exchange for an NTC

He signed a No Trade Contract, not a When I want To Be Traded I Only Want To Go To One Of Two Teams Contract.

Thus imo it was not his right.

• Upvote 1