The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[VIDEO] Final four NHL teams don't have a player making more than $8 million

https://www.tsn.ca/video/final-four-nhl-teams-don-t-have-a-player-making-more-than-8-million~1682400

Interesting stat.  Just the usual talking click baiters at TSN, LeBrun even admits he was told this by a Western Conference GM (please let it be Benning).

It remains to be seen if this is just a coincidence, or a start of a trend moving forward.

I really hope that if the Canucks do splurge this summer, it is of the middling UFA variety and no huge splashes.

I'd honestly rather have two 5 million dollar players like Bo than one 10 million dollar guy.

(or three 4mill guys rather than one 12mill guy)

The previous three Cup winners highest cap hits were $9.5 million, $9.5 million, and $8.7 million. Back in 2015 Patty Kane was a bit of an outlier, being only $6.3 million, but he did jump up to 10.5 or so the next year, and they had several players in that range. It was a thing there for a while, I remember, with the journalists, how all the teams winning the cup had so much salary tied up in just a few players.

What am I saying here? Uh, nothing I guess. Long season, long playoffs, hockey is quite a random sport. However, I feel there is an influx of young and affordable talent these days and that might be tied to winning. Most of them had not splurged too much on high end free agents, but acquired decently expensive older tenured players in trades, that had signed instead of reaching free agency.

I think there's a mix, and it changes from year to year. Of course blowing it all on some high end free agent rarely works out. You have to develop players, trade for players, and sign the right free agents at the right time.

First priority should be to getting Boeser signed to a team friendly deal I guess, then reaching for some good free agents that will last while considering the contracts to come.

The one consistent feature of every cup winning or even 'close' team is the firepower on the back end. There seems to be at least one "all star" level defenceman. Someone who can drive the play. Usually two "extreme top" defencemen. Even if the forwards are marginally lacking, the defence are integral.

Makes sense tho.

The more cap saved from huge contracts, the more cap available for depth

With the exception of Pettersson and Hughes no one atm will make north of 8 million (assuming they show all star performance). Save our cap where we can, luckily soon Edler, Ericksson and Sutter's cap will be gone.

10 minutes ago, brownky said:

The one consistent feature of every cup winning or even 'close' team is the firepower on the back end. There seems to be at least one "all star" level defenceman. Someone who can drive the play. Usually two "extreme top" defencemen. Even if the forwards are marginally lacking, the defence are integral.

Pittsburgh in won in 2017 with pretty much an AHL defense with Letang out.

I think the two features that have been consistent among recent Cup winners are:

1. A top-6 caliber center than can be trusted defensively (Backstrom, Crosby, Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron in the past and Couture, O'Reilly, J. Staal and Bergeron this year). This gives team a chance to dominate all areas of a game.
  2. Players on cheap contracts outperforming their paygrade. This comes down to drafting and developing. 

Does this mean Dumbass really screwed torontos chance of ever winning a cup, by signing tavares?

Or double dumbassing by giving Ny-loser an albatross of an unwarranted contract?

Either way, its deliciously delicious in a tasty “you suck toronto and will for another 30 years” kinda way. 

9 hours ago, 6string said:

There are some of us passing on Erik Karlsson, Panarin, Skinner, Duchene, Myers  etc...

This article gives us some leveraging.no-deal-stamp-text-inside-illustration-108503171.jpg.7fef93970c1232ff854425c12e1b8b0e.jpg:)

IF Myers decided he liked our direction and would come in a team friendly deal rather than mercenary money, I'd take a swing at him.

Something like a handshake deal where it's a one-year FA deal worth like 12+m (as we don't need the cap space next year in particular), and then an 'extension' is pre-negotiated/pre-signed for on January 1 and is for 3/4 years at like 4m or something. He makes his money "on balance" - and up front, then the team has a chance to win.

He's going to get mercenary money though. And that's a hard pass.

8 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Does this mean Dumbass really screwed torontos chance of ever winning a cup, by signing tavares?

Or double dumbassing by giving Ny-loser an albatross of an unwarranted contract?

Either way, its deliciously delicious in a tasty “you suck toronto and will for another 30 years” kinda way. 

@Alflives gimmick infringement

Lol I don’t get what the point of this is. Another thing being, you’re getting AAV confused with salary which I’ll touch on later.

...It’s not literally about having players make x amount of money. Because as we know markets are different. Tampa tax free has no one making more than $10m because it evens out compared to other tax markets, etc.

It’s about having players worth premium money regardless of if they make it or not (as I said, variables factor in and some places they’re able to take less than they would in another city). Tampa has those players. Boston has those players. Other teams have them. They got them at a discount for one reason or another. Tampa for tax reasons. Boston got them at a discount before the market inflated exponentially into being very heavily invested on top players. Carolina is lucky having so many players on ELCs which they’re going to have to pay up this summer and the next 2-3. St.Louis, same thing as Boston got Tarasenko+Pietrangelo inked a while back when the market didn’t boom. Because players like them and the Marchand’s and Pastrnak’s and Aho’s etc - are all worth more than what they signed for or will get paid once ELCs are done. Some teams got very fortunate on timing before the market exploded, others are very fortunate on timing in terms of having ELCs but which they’ll have to resolve sooner than later. 

And the thing about AAV versus Salary. San Jose has a lot of front loaded contracts. Sure the AAV might be at or below $8m but the salary players are getting is more than that. Kane’s actual salary is $9m, Burns $10m, Couture $10m next yr. ROR actually makes $8.5m because of that front loaded contract he signed.

...so yea, this makes no sense for certain markets because the variables aren’t comparable and I’ll take Vancouver for example. One of the highest taxed places and highest living costs, you can’t expect the same to stand true as it does in Tampa or getting massive discounts like Boston did because the market isn’t the same as it was then. Those teams are certainly the exception and are very lucky to have gotten the value they did. It doesn’t mean it’s something that the Canucks or most other teams can looks and copy. That’s just not how it works lol.

14 hours ago, xereau said:

I really hope that if the Canucks do splurge this summer, it is of the middling UFA variety and no huge splashes.

I'd honestly rather have two 5 million dollar players like Bo than one 10 million dollar guy.

(or three 4mill guys rather than one 12mill guy)

Lol, don’t get too caught up in this rarity. The league and market has moved on and so have the players. You either pay up and get top players and win with them or simply put other teams will if you decide to penny pinch. Most sports, you invest heavy on the best players and figure out how to allocate the rest of the money for the rest of the players. The top players are the ones who end up making the biggest difference anyways so it’s why they’re getting paid. 

And no thanks. I’d rather have 1 Erik Karlsson than 2 of Eriksson+Sutter. Haven’t we learned our lesson yet, we barely moved on from Gudbranson :lol::picard:. It’s about bang for buck and consensus is it’s more convenient spending on top quality players even at a higher price than for middling players at a lower price that aren’t really game breakers and who just eat up a ton of cap. 

...again, the article is talking about exceptions and it’s definitely not the standard. Otherwise have fun being the Sens of the world. Too cheap to pay up and lose all your quality. Players will gladly move to a place where they feel they’re getting paid accordingly to the market. And those teams that pay them get rewarded by their world class play. The rest of the teams are left behind and miss out.

14 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Pittsburgh in won in 2017 with pretty much an AHL defense with Letang out.

I think the two features that have been consistent among recent Cup winners are:

1. A top-6 caliber center than can be trusted defensively (Backstrom, Crosby, Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron in the past and Couture, O'Reilly, J. Staal and Bergeron this year). This gives team a chance to dominate all areas of a game.
  2. Players on cheap contracts outperforming their paygrade. This comes down to drafting and developing. 

Thats the rare instance though. 80-90% of the time theres a norris calibre defenceman playing in one of the 2 teams in the finals

42 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Thats the rare instance though. 80-90% of the time theres a norris calibre defenceman playing in one of the 2 teams in the finals

Do you think Carlson is a Norris caliber defenseman?

An elite defenseman is certainly present in most championship teams, but not absolutely required. It's possible to win without one. However, we've seen recently that you must have the two things I listed to win. Nobody has won without them this decade.

Archived