The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sabres name Ralph Krueger as head coach

Rate this topic

54 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Good for the sabres. I really started to appreciate Krueger during that last world cup and the work he did with team Europe. 

He coached a frustrating game and got the most out of a pretty lackluster roster.

Then he's tailor-made for the Sabres next season!  :lol:

After the Sabres lose Skinner to the FA market this off-season, they'll have 2.5 lackluster lines that will need to be whipped into shape.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think that’s s really good hire by the Sabres.  Krueger is a really good hockey mind.  Sabres will be next seasons Islanders/Canes/Avs

What I recall from his Oiler days was the powerplay was amongst the best in the league and tough five on five to play.

The move to hire Eakins out of the blue was a major setback for the organization.

Edited by 6string
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, 6string said:

Being tipped off is a brilliant hockey mind?

You don't get tipped off unless you are someone trustworthy and/or competent. Do YOU hear insider sources? Didn't think so.

Furthermore, even though I didn't hear/see Friedman report this move at the time, I think it's very bad business to take credit for something that wasn't yours (i.e. "I believe Buffalo would be very interested in someone like Ralph Krueger")

Much better than Eklund, who was for the longest time, considered a "valid source".

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Jason Botterill's job depends on how well Krueger does in the next 2 seasons.  If the team still sucks in 2021, they'll be looking for both a new HC and GM.

It's like a search for a new HC/GM runs on an Olympics schedule for the Sabres. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Good move, was hoping he'd be the next president here. But it will be fun to watch him take Toronto out in the 1st round next season :lol:

I think he's a good coach, but Jimmy, I'm a little surprised you're on board with him as President Canucks.

If we hire a Pres, he better be a legit, front office experienced veteran exec.

Krueger isn't even a bona fide NHL coach yet.

5 hours ago, 6string said:

What I recall from his Oiler days was the powerplay was amongst the best in the league and tough five on five to play.

The move to hire Eakins out of the blue was a major setback for the organization.

I remember the same about their PP. It was lethal and I was thinking to myself, $hit, these guys are going to pass us in a couple of years as the Sedins age.

That move to hire Eakins was probably the dumbest thing they did. TSN should do top 10 Oilers blunders since 2006 cup appearance. They can probably stretch it out to top 100 and run it over and over again during Christmas and new year.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, luckylager said:

If we hire a Pres, he better be a legit, front office experienced veteran exec.

I think hes proven he has that skill set with his Southampton experience. Transferrable skill set imo.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, J-P said:

Good move by the Sabres, but I remember reading that Krueger didn't want to coach but have a front-office postiion going forward so I'm  a little surprised.

No NHL FO experience so his prospects there were likely bleak.  At 59 his earning years are becoming fewer.  Take the coaching job and bank millions then retire to wherever you want in the world.