The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van - NYR

June 21 2019

The NJD have selected with the first overall pick

Kappo Kakko

Rogers Arena fills with a dull thud as thousands of jaws drop collectively

JB puts on his big boy pants and picks up the phone.

To NYR

10th overall 2019

2020 pick no lotto protection

Ollie Julevi

Thatcher Demko/Dipietro

To Vancouver

2nd overall 2019

Does it get the job done?

NYR have a lot of picks this draft. Must be looking at a lot of players. They want a fast rebuild to compete in a good market.

We want the lotto luck we never had to enter the next stage.

What more would we need to add before it becomes impossible to say no?

I think I would rather keep Juolevi, the goalie, next year's 1st and our #10 this year, than take a chance on Hughes. Canucks will get a good player at #10.

Pettersson - Boeser

Horvat - Goldobin

Hughes -

Juolevi - Woo

Tryamkin

Demko/DiPietro

Canucks are getting there, slowly but surely. I mean, if they really want Hughes that badly, then trade Horvat as part of the package. The Canucks would need the #2 C spot for Hughes anyway. Don't trade the D.

44 minutes ago, HughMungus said:

June 21 2019

The NJD have selected with the first overall pick

Kappo Kakko

Rogers Arena fills with a dull thud as thousands of jaws drop collectively

JB puts on his big boy pants and picks up the phone.

To NYR

10th overall 2019

2020 pick no lotto protection

Ollie Julevi

Thatcher Demko/Dipietro

To Vancouver

2nd overall 2019

Does it get the job done?

NYR have a lot of picks this draft. Must be looking at a lot of players. They want a fast rebuild to compete in a good market.

We want the lotto luck we never had to enter the next stage.

What more would we need to add before it becomes impossible to say no?

I like your thinking here.  The cost to move to get Jack Hughes, even at two, will likely be more though.

I was hoping for something like this:

Before the draft JB trades to get the Oilers 8 OA .

At the draft, if Kakko does go first, then JB trades with the Rags to get Jack Hughes.

8 OA + 10 OA + our second 2020 + Dipietro + Madden. 

Instead of Demko, maybe this?

10th oa 

40th oa

2020 1st unprotected

Gaudette

for

2nd oa

Shattenkirk

I don't think they'd want an injured OJ, would want a young C back, and dump Shattenkrirk. Maybe we'd have to add more yet. 

I am a little confused.  I am not hearing anybody saying that Hughes or Kaako are generational type players.  They are clearly the best of this draft, but not McDavid, Crosby types, not to my knowledge.

I don't want to see us trade away 4 or 5 key young pieces for 1 guy.  What if they turn out like Daigle or Yakupov?  It seems like a huge risk and a poor idea.  

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Instead of Demko, maybe this?

10th oa 

40th oa

2020 1st unprotected

Gaudette

for

2nd oa

Shattenkirk

I don't think they'd want an injured OJ, would want a young C back, and dump Shattenkrirk. Maybe we'd have to add more yet. 

Looks good Jimmy.  Maybe add Dipietro to the deal, and that could get 'er done.  I really do hope JB gets Hughes if it doesn't cost us one of our top young core guys.

Just now, Dixon Ward said:

I am a little confused.  I am not hearing anybody saying that Hughes or Kaako are generational type players.  They are clearly the best of this draft, but not McDavid, Crosby types, not to my knowledge.

I don't want to see us trade away 4 or 5 key young pieces for 1 guy.  What if they turn out like Daigle or Yakupov?  It seems like a huge risk and a poor idea.  

I don't know about Crappo Kakko, but Hughes is going to be a super star in the NHL.  He will drive play much like Patsy Kane and Mini Johnny. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I don't know about Crappo Kakko, but Hughes is going to be a super star in the NHL.  He will drive play much like Patsy Kane and Mini Johnny. 

I am not saying he won't be great, but would you give up 2 high 1st rounders, a potential #2 defenseman, and a starting goalie for a potential Kane or Gaudreau? Tuuka Rask is the mvp of the playoffs right now.  Gaudreau and Kane were golfing early.  

2 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I am not saying he won't be great, but would you give up 2 high 1st rounders, a potential #2 defenseman, and a starting goalie for a potential Kane or Gaudreau? Tuuka Rask is the mvp of the playoffs right now.  Gaudreau and Kane were golfing early.  

Patsy Kane has 3 Cups, of which he played a very important role in all.  We need a winger for Bo, who has elite play-making skills.  That's Jack Hughes. 

I do accept we are rebuilding too, so having Seider + whomever we draft with our first rounder next season would be really important too. 

Crazy trade imho... Hughes is not Crosby... and Jeebers, giving up an unprotected 2020 1st round pick? Crazeee! Either way it's doubtful NYR give up a 2nd overall pick, if there is a time a draft pick is somewhat guaranteed it is "usually" the top three picks... 10oa is still a high risk gamble. The flip side is if NYR offer you something you cannot refuse...

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Patsy Kane has 3 Cups, of which he played a very important role in all.  We need a winger for Bo, who has elite play-making skills.  That's Jack Hughes. 

I do accept we are rebuilding too, so having Seider + whomever we draft with our first rounder next season would be really important too. 

I know high end skill costs, I just think that I get Krebs or Boldy for that role, while not as good, we don't have to gut our future to do it.  We would be like the Leafs, some high end skill but little else.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Looks good Jimmy.  Maybe add Dipietro to the deal, and that could get 'er done.  I really do hope JB gets Hughes if it doesn't cost us one of our top young core guys.

I guess what would we want to drop 2 to 10 this year? a $&!# ton

I'd hate to lose out on Mikey or Demko but yeah they'd probably be required too. 

But we could throw the same package at Chicago.... would they give up the 3rd for the same package if we took Seabrook? 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess what would we want to drop 2 to 10 this year? a $&!# ton

I'd hate to lose out on Mikey or Demko but yeah they'd probably be required too. 

But we could throw the same package at Chicago.... would they give up the 3rd for the same package if we took Seabrook? 

Maybe?  Likely the best move is for us to stand pat.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Fair enough but did Chicago trade away 3 1st round picks and a high second to draft Kane?

Just now, Canucklehead73 said:

Fair enough but did Chicago trade away 3 1st round picks and a high second to draft Kane?

Excellent point.  Can a team win a Cup without a top three picked player (of their own choosing) in their lineup?  I can think of the Bruins in 2011.  Is there another? 

If we can add a player like Hughes

While keeping

Boeser Petterson Horvat and Q. Hughes

1 of Demko/Dipietro

You have 10 years of a core. We will miss the playoffs once and awhile and hopefully win with those lotto picks.

But my biggest fear is we stand pat. We accumulate this talent like EDM and never give the players what they want. Playoffs. 

Then they start asking for more money to stay here.

Thats when the team could be in for the real dark ages.

I would rather not be like the Oilers. We were bad for too many years with no luck. We have the assets.

Time to pay up.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Excellent point.  Can a team win a Cup without a top three picked player (of their own choosing) in their lineup?  I can think of the Bruins in 2011.  Is there another? 

Technically they had Seguin right? Not that he was the catalyst but still a player.

Archived