The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 3rd Overall pick

Would you trade Bo Horvat for the 3rd OA Pick?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No. That trade would set our rebuild back by 3-4 years.

The player we get is probably Byram, and as with most junior prospects, I expect him to take 1 more year or junior hockey before being ready to make the jump to the NHL and at least 2-3 more years, if not more, before he has the same level (or better) of impact as Bo.

I think now is the time to round out the rebuild and hence, we should be adding pieces without subtracting a core piece. Probably should use this year's draft to find a top 6 winger or strengthen the D core and we can definitely do that at #10 spot. Also, we should dip in to the UFA market and add a free piece or two if possible at a reasonable cap. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

LOL...……...:towel:

Well, I voted for the 3rd OA, because I am getting a feeling that Byram may just be the second best player in this draft when all is said and done...………..

Getting a #1 Dman is second only to a starting #1 center, and having 2 - #1 Dmen, is something not too many teams ever have the chance to get.....

I believe Bo is an excellent Center-man and has his own right to be talked about in the way everyone is speaking, but #2 centermen can be found at

the #10 spot or can be traded for. Number 1 Defensemen not so much.

Trade value wise...……..a number 2 Center has less value than a number 1 Dman

Could Byram at #3 and Krebs at #10, be better than Horvat and Soderstrom, I would think so...………………...

But the operative word is "Could", so although I posted the question and voted for #3 OA, I don't think many GM's would have a strong enough heart to pull the trigger.....

I was not trolling, but I was trying to start a debate...….I hope you don't mind

PS...…….I do love Bo in a hockey player sense:wub: :canucks:

And a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush!

Yeah, I think it's a fair question.

And although I say no, it's difficult to say no because well, we have never drafted #3 overall since... 1999. 

Krebs may do what Horvat can do eventually but look how many years it took Horvat to get to this point... Krebs would take similarly long in my opinion. Byram, Hughes, and Juolevi could give us the best D core indeed. But Byram would take few more years before he is NHL ready and performing at a high level.

So we can either set our rebuild back in time in the hope that it gets us to higher places or we just stick with what we assembled. The thing to note here is that when you set your rebuild back in time, as we wait for Byram/Krebs to mature, there will be other players entering the league in the subsequent years who may turn out better than Byram and Krebs. Should we turn back our rebuild each time this happens?

When I compare our team to other rebuilding teams or the teams that have just completed a rebuild, I think we will have a good chance to win the cup with what we have assembled so far if we can add couple more pieces.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn’t trade Horvat for 3OA, but I would strongly consider moving Boeser for 3OA+ whatever.

When a team is in a formative stage such as the Canucks, depth down the middle and on defense takes precedence over the wings.  Finding elite wingers is an easier task than it is  in finding elite centers and wingers.

Trade Boeser for Bryam+, and then go HARD on July 1st after someone like Dzingel or Panarin to soften the blow of having lost Boeser.

Moving Boeser for 3OA+ would also free up cap space.  

LA had a terrible year, but they still have a lot of their cup winning core players on their roster.  Putting Boeser alongside Kopitar could do wonders for LA’s anemic offense.

38 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I wouldn’t trade Horvat for 3OA, but I would strongly consider moving Boeser for 3OA+ whatever.

When a team is in a formative stage such as the Canucks, depth down the middle and on defense takes precedence over the wings.  Finding elite wingers is an easier task than it is  in finding elite centers and wingers.

Trade Boeser for Bryam+, and then go HARD on July 1st after someone like Dzingel or Panarin to soften the blow of having lost Boeser.

Moving Boeser for 3OA+ would also free up cap space.  

LA had a terrible year, but they still have a lot of their cup winning core players on their roster.  Putting Boeser alongside Kopitar could do wonders for LA’s anemic offense.

What’s L.A. got to do with the 3rd overall? Chicago owns that pick. 

Character is worth more, in my eyes, than it seems to be in most hockey trades.  I think that Horvat is a warrior, a class act, and a team 1st player.  This, coupled with a good skill package makes for a very valuable player.  We don't know what we would get at 3 character-wise.  It would also set back the rebuild a fair amount giving up our excellent #2 centre for a prospect that is probably at least 2 years from contributing at a meaningful, similar level.  I would keep Captain Bo, but it is tempting.

I’d rather have two top centers at this point then a better defense.  Suggested today we trade Horvat for Makar..but don’t really want too.  Also said that NSH and all its defensive power AND great goaltending hasn’t won them squat (yet).   It’s pretty well known that two centers wins cups (and great goaltending to go with it).    Let’s keep Horvat unless the deal is just too hard to turn down. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I’d rather have two top centers at this point then a better defense.  Suggested today we trade Horvat for Makar..but don’t really want too.  Also said that NSH and all its defensive power AND great goaltending hasn’t won them squat (yet).   It’s pretty well known that two centers wins cups (and great goaltending to go with it).    Let’s keep Horvat unless the deal is just too hard to turn down. 

Nashville defence has not played well this season.  Losing Housley has hurt them.  

Absolutely not.

Horvat is better than his stats show.  Put him with top players and he is a #1c - capable of nearly a point a game as it stands, and still has room to improve.  We have him as our #2 and he is on a cap friendly contract. He has leadership qualities, plays a 2 way game, and is one of the few guys on our team to play a heavier style.

All this is already established with Bo.  You don't throw that away to get a prospect who may or may not become an NHL player - let alone a high end one as Bo is.

• Like 1

Absolutely not.

Horvat is better than his stats show.  Put him with top players and he is a #1c - capable of nearly a point a game as it stands, and still has room to improve.  We have him as our #2 and he is on a cap friendly contract. He has leadership qualities, plays a 2 way game, and is one of the few guys on our team to play a heavier style.

All this is already established with Bo.  You don't throw that away to get a prospect who may or may not become an NHL player - let alone a high end one as Bo is. I also would rather not wait another half decade before a prospect develops into a highly integral piece.  We are trying to complete our rebuild soon.... not put it off for several more years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Do you think there’s a lot more value if we trade our 2020 1st and leave it unprotected. If so, maybe we can keep our first this year, and offer a 2020 1st unprotected instead. Maybe this way we can keep our tenth and get another 1st. Just a thought 

43 minutes ago, Joscanucks said:

Do you think there’s a lot more value if we trade our 2020 1st and leave it unprotected. If so, maybe we can keep our first this year, and offer a 2020 1st unprotected instead. Maybe this way we can keep our tenth and get another 1st. Just a thought 

Where’s the value in that for Chicago? Yes. that first could be higher than this year. But it could be lower.  They currently have the 3rd overall pick. Why take a chance on next year when they can pick in the top 3 now and vevefit immediately 

• Upvote 1

On 5/16/2019 at 2:00 AM, mll said:

Chicago has Toews and Strome as C1/C2.  Horvat would be a C3.  They are hoping to never draft that high again so it's highly unlikely that they move that pick.

Colorado has 4th overall and needs a C2 - that's would be a more realistic target if the Canucks want to take a step back and move Horvat.  

I understand where Horvat would look like a C3 on the Hawks with Toews and Strome on the roster.  But when you can put line combos together that would include Toews-Saad, Strome-Debrincat, Horvat-Kane; instead of a C1,C2,C3 situation it almost becomes a lines 1A, 1B, and 1C situation with all playing 18 minutes a game.

And having a center that can actually win draws to play with Kane that isn't named Toews would be a wet dream the Hawks.

As much I salivate over the thought of Byram-Boqvist together for the next decade, if I'm the Hawks, I make the trade instantly.

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] 3rd Overall pick