The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Senate Transport Committee defeats Ottawa's oil tanker ban, Bill C-48

Mackcanuck

OTTAWA — In a rare legislative move on Wednesday, the Senate transport committee voted to defeat the Liberal government’s moratorium on oil tankers in northern B.C., putting the controversial bill on life support after years of political wrangling.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/senators-defeat-ottawas-oil-tanker-ban-bill-in-rare-move-putting-legislation-on-life-support

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/federal-oil-tanker-ban-bill-defeated-in-senate-but-legislation-not-dead-1.4424584

Edited by Mackcanuck

21 hours ago, timberz21 said:

I mean, I can't argue against anything you said.

On the other hand...this is the human race.  What is the problem with stopping to hurt, fight and kill each other and we still do it?  Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world and never will.  The human race has survived and adapted all these years and I believe will continue to do so (in my humbled, non-scientific, opinion), as stupid as it is.  Us, the common people, I don't believe can really make a difference, it is mostly up to the gaziollionnaires and their company, and I don't believe they are willing to share their wealth in order to save the planet.  Governments nowadays are too weak, gutless and powerless to really to do anything about it. Sad, but this is the reality of our world.  

As much as I would like to leave a better future for future generation, I'm not really losing sleep over it, can't really control that.

This news pretty proves my point I was trying to make yesterday in the Bill Nye's global warming post.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

All I saw was Senators defeat, and immediately questioned the accuracy of the article.

"Senators defeated my bill?  They're not even in the playoffs!" PM Hairgel, probably

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

This news pretty proves my point I was trying to make yesterday in the Bill Nye's global warming post.

It's complicated but I fully agree with the jist of what you are saying.

Do consumers want a better way? Hell yeah.  Are corporations presenting better options in an expedient manner? Hell no.

Electric cars really are the most prime example. We should have all been driving them decades ago but Big Auto stopped that and I'm sure Big Oil had their back.  

Just like the medical system, there is more money to be made in treating the symptoms than providing a cure so that is what they do. Come up with more and more products that don't actually do anything about the underlying condition, just add more money to their bottom line.

I would hope that one day, maybe in our lifetime, the Big Oil companies and Big Auto etc will have a day of reckoning much akin to Big Tobacco. You've &^@#ed with the people and the environment for decades and made untold profits all while hiding the truths about what kind of real options are out there. Governments should be getting behind guys like Elon Musk, not propping up archaic industry which is so obviously beyond it's best before date to most people.

Edited by Boeserker
  • Upvote 3

"Us, the common people, I don't believe can really make a difference, it is mostly up to the gaziollionnaires and their company, and I don't believe they are willing to share their wealth in order to save the planet.  Governments nowadays are too weak, gutless and powerless to really to do anything about it. Sad, but this is the reality of our world."

Well, without the "gaziollionnaires", we would not have the high standard of living we have today.   Those people made a lot of money but has bettered the "common" people if you look at it through the lens of human history.   Before the industrialization people lived in either small villages or squalid cities.   Life was hard and short.   Then came the industrial revolution.   With it came the invention of the steam engine, then railroads, then electrification, with advances in communication like telegraph.   These started in the 1800's.   Then in the 1900's came the car, automobile, planes,  radio and tv.  All of these would not be possible  without the big corporations.    All of these things were done in the name of making money but the "common" people benefitted from these technological advances.    The government did not any invent of these.   It was due to all to private individuals hoping to make a buck.

More recently, now is known the information age.   The internet, cellphones, computers, social media,  all due to the "gaziollionnaires".    Sure these guys got rich but the common guy got the fruits of their entrepreneurship.   Governments did squat. 

Edited by DonLever
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Violator said:

Nice the senate can be useful once a decade.

I was neither pro nor against the bill

are you kidding?

Edit, does confused face give you a down vote? I will switch if it does otherwise I'm as confused as hell you would say that.

Edited by Ryan Strome

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

are you kidding?

Edit, does confused face give you a down vote? I will switch if it does otherwise I'm as confused as hell you would say that.

Ive been home to long the stupidity is rubbing off on me

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DonLever said:

Well, without the "gaziollionnaires", we would not have the high standard of living we have today.   Those people made a lot of money but has bettered the "common" people if you look at it through the lens of human history.   Before the industrialization people lived in either small villages or squalid cities.   Life was hard and short.   Then came the industrial revolution.   With it came the invention of the steam engine, then railroads, then electrification, with advances in communication like telegraph.   These started in the 1800's.   Then in the 1900's came the car, automobile, planes,  radio and tv.  All of these would not be possible  without the big corporations.    All of these things were done in the name of making money but the "common" people benefitted from these technological advances.    The government did not any invent of these.   It was due to all to private individuals hoping to make a buck.

More recently, now is known the information age.   The internet, cellphones, computers, social media,  all due to the "gaziollionnaires".    Sure these guys got rich but the common guy got the fruits of their entrepreneurship.   Governments did squat. 

It doesn't matter if the oil barons have been the ones to help our 'Quality of life'... What matters is it's not benefiting us now.... At the expense of our future.... I'm seriously very close to being completely off the grid.  Within the next 6-10 yrs I will be 100% self sustainable.  That's all I can do... And guess what, my quality of life will be great.  Will I have convenience?  No, I'll have to work every day to maintain the systems and harvest the food I produce but again... How is that bad.  Our lives won't go back to the way it was before the industrial revolution.  We can use the tech that has been developed for a much more user friendly future.  I currently use a diesel converted truck that uses vegetable oil as the main fuel source.  Not 100% emission free but less and I'm only purchasing 15% of the diesel I did previously in a year.... And I can source the canola oil and also produce small quantities of some as well. I'm currently setting up an amazing micro hydro system on my property that will eventually supply me with 65% of my hydro yearly.  At peak times during rainier fall, winter and springs I'll be able to sell back some power to bc hydro.... It can be done, I'm just getting ahead of the curve that I think is coming whether we like it or not.  You have to be blind not to see the extreme changes occuring right before our eyes.  I figure human enduced or not... We aren't helping the changes slow down.  So prepare and do it while resources are still available.

9 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's so funny, you're about the 9th person who has said that to me today. I think maybe we should give the new senate more power... I love the senate Jim.

this is a good thing. Yes I prefer Liberal governments, but not if they are going to make crappy legislation. Now they are forced to go back and get it right or let it die.

Same thing is happening with C-69, over 100 amendments to that just got through committee. Even Kenney is happy: https://globalnews.ca/news/5286251/senate-committee-passes-bill-c-69-amendments/

17 hours ago, DonLever said:

I agree that it takes super smart, dedicated, motivated people to build industry that has benefitted our society ad the health of the population. Those people deserve to become elite and super wealthy, but to paint them as some kind of altruistic class that is doing things for the greater good is flat out wrong.

Labour Laws and Unions have more to do with the rise of the standard of living and that is directly related to governance.

The gazillionaires would happily have us all working 18 hrs a day from the age of 6, for peanuts, in derelict factories if they could get away with it. That's the way it was before labour laws and unions.

Edited by Boeserker

23 hours ago, Boeserker said:

It's complicated but I fully agree with the jist of what you are saying.

Do consumers want a better way? Hell yeah.  Are corporations presenting better options in an expedient manner? Hell no.

Electric cars really are the most prime example. We should have all been driving them decades ago but Big Auto stopped that and I'm sure Big Oil had their back.  

Just like the medical system, there is more money to be made in treating the symptoms than providing a cure so that is what they do. Come up with more and more products that don't actually do anything about the underlying condition, just add more money to their bottom line.

I would hope that one day, maybe in our lifetime, the Big Oil companies and Big Auto etc will have a day of reckoning much akin to Big Tobacco. You've &^@#ed with the people and the environment for decades and made untold profits all while hiding the truths about what kind of real options are out there. Governments should be getting behind guys like Elon Musk, not propping up archaic industry which is so obviously beyond it's best before date to most people.

In China electric cars should be called coal burning cars. In Canada you could call them fish burners with aspirations of adding birds to the fuel system. Add to that the submerged carbon eating forests and the methane spewing reservoirs. It's not good. Electric cars are no answer. If the electricity came from solar, nuclear, or geo thermal it might be worthwhile.

10 hours ago, Rodishred said:

It doesn't matter if the oil barons have been the ones to help our 'Quality of life'... What matters is it's not benefiting us now.... At the expense of our future.... I'm seriously very close to being completely off the grid.  Within the next 6-10 yrs I will be 100% self sustainable.  That's all I can do... And guess what, my quality of life will be great.  Will I have convenience?  No, I'll have to work every day to maintain the systems and harvest the food I produce but again... How is that bad.  Our lives won't go back to the way it was before the industrial revolution.  We can use the tech that has been developed for a much more user friendly future.  I currently use a diesel converted truck that uses vegetable oil as the main fuel source.  Not 100% emission free but less and I'm only purchasing 15% of the diesel I did previously in a year.... And I can source the canola oil and also produce small quantities of some as well. I'm currently setting up an amazing micro hydro system on my property that will eventually supply me with 65% of my hydro yearly.  At peak times during rainier fall, winter and springs I'll be able to sell back some power to bc hydro.... It can be done, I'm just getting ahead of the curve that I think is coming whether we like it or not.  You have to be blind not to see the extreme changes occuring right before our eyes.  I figure human enduced or not... We aren't helping the changes slow down.  So prepare and do it while resources are still available.

If everyone was this enviro conscious it would be game over for the planet. Buy the smallest apartment in the tallest high rise and stay there. The planet will thank you. But it's a cool hobby. Have fun!

Edited by Miler