The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you woke enough?

Rob_Zepp

Apparently, Microsoft doesn't think so and like Facebook and Justin Trudeau, they believe there is a need to make you more woke.

Be Woke like Justin Trudeau

Microsoft uses artificial intelligence to push what liberals think you should write

FolIn this May 7, 2018, file photo Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella looks on during a video as he delivers the keynote address at Build, the company's annual conference for software developers in Seattle. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson, File)
In this May 7, 2018, file photo Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella looks on during a video as he delivers the keynote address at Build, the company’s annual conference for software developers in Seattle. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson, File) more 
By Tammy Bruce - - Wednesday, May 15, 2019

ANALYSIS/OPINION:

Microsoft has decided that you need help in understanding what words to use when you write. After all, what you write and how you want to write it should take a backseat to what liberals think you should write.

Fox News reported, “Microsoft is harnessing the power of artificial intelligence to boost the use of ‘inclusive language’ in Word. The feature is part of Ideas in Word, a forthcoming AI-powered online tool designed to improve users’ writing … In addition to ‘familiar fixes for spelling and grammatical errors,’ Ideas in Word will also offer ‘advice on more concise and inclusive language,’ according to Microsoft. In the blog post, [John] Roach used the example of ‘police officer,’ instead of ‘policeman.’”

One has to wonder if Microsoft will only be satisfied if all of us are as woke as Justin Trudeau. The Canadian prime minister came under fire early last year when he rebuked a young woman for using that pesky term “mankind.” At the town hall, he then instructed her to use the more inclusive “peoplekind,” which is a term that does not exist.

After enduring well-deserved ridicule, Mr. Trudeau said he was joking. He wasn’t, and neither is Microsoft, and that’s the problem.

Controlling how people speak, and making it dangerous to use words deemed by activists as unacceptable is at the heart of the left’s effort to keep people from thinking about serious issues at all. After all, if it’s too dangerous to speak about the issues then the next natural step is to not think about the issues.

Microsoft will be sending that message to everyone who uses the “Ideas” program that its style (and ergo its thoughts) are morally incorrect.

Keep in mind, Word Online is managed via the cloud, which means those who use the “Ideas” option will be known, those who use it and don’t accept some changes will be known, and those who refuse to use it by opting out will be known.

On social media, we’ve seen what happens to people who refuse to use what George Orwell would call Newspeak, or even dare to use forbidden phrases. A number of well-known conservatives, such as David Horowitz and the actor James Woods, have been suspended or banned from Twitter. Mr. Horowitz’s account was reinstated after he complained to the social media platform. Twitter explained that his suspension was an “accident.”

Mr. Woods has refused to return to the micro-blogging site after being suspended for daring to tweet a famous quote by American essayist and philosopher Ralph Waldo Emerson.

For at least the last generation, Americans have watched this unfolding of the demands of political correctness and speech. And we’re willing to have that public debate and conversation. If society comes to a general agreement that something is reasonable like “firefighter” or “police officer,” that’s great. But to begin a program that nudges writers into acquiescing into using the left’s social-political strategy of controlling conversation, description and definition should be rejected as the beginning of a direct assault on the freedom to write and think as we please.

If we are to learn from the behavior of the social media platforms, there will inevitably be a point where if you don’t write in the politically correct way, or accept all of “Ideas” recommendation to “help” you with more “inclusive” language, perhaps you could be banned from using the product at all.

Consider, out of so-called convenience, if a sizeable majority allow artificial intelligence to control what is written (and ultimately what we say), as directed by information cultivated by political partisans. That alone would isolate individuals who do not conform, inviting inevitable accusations of being racists, sexists and homophobes.

Being assigned one of those scarlet labels gets you removed from social media platforms. But leftists have also implemented campaigns to pressure banks into refusing to do business with people who are accused of thought crime, resulting in among things the canceling of checking and credit card accounts.

Don’t forget we were told by Facebook that it was an “algorithm” that determined what their now-defunct Newsfeed would show to Facebook’s 2 billion users. That wasn’t true. As we ultimately learned, it was actually humans making decisions about what websites would be promoted, which would be banned and which stories would be highlighted.

As individual lives and businesses become completely reliant on technology and more and more information moves through the cloud, we all can become hostage to the hyper-political partisanship of the technology sector. We’ve already seen our reliance on these products to run our lives and operate our businesses be used as a cudgel to punish us for not conforming to the liberal worldview.

Make no mistake: The announcement by Microsoft that their “Ideas” program will automatically “correct” what you write to conform to approved political speech is the promotion of correct speech as well as it is the silencing of those who do not agree.

Just a product of stupid people needing help forming simple sentences. People use autocorrect all the time. This is taking it to the next level mind you, but its not much different than letting Siri misspell words for you. 

There. They’re. Would of. Would’ve. 

The worst part is, when i actually used autocorrect I found that i had to correct it. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I mean come on, we all know Liberals are better writers.....

I think the key word here is "advice" - no one is forcing you to keep a certain word in a document. 

would it be acceptable if it advised on vulgar, racist or homophobic terms?    who gets to decide what "advice" is logical?

I dunno, seems to me like part of a massive slippery slope but I agree, you can choose to ignore what your computer wants you to do.....

1811111-hal-9000-1155p_a6911350a03c93107

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

would it be acceptable if it advised on vulgar, racist or homophobic terms?    who gets to decide what "advice" is logical?

I dunno, seems to me like part of a massive slippery slope but I agree, you can choose to ignore what your computer wants you to do.....

the company does, its a free market. If you don't like MS Word anymore you're free to use something else. 

I think its important to ask, under what circumstances you would want to use those terms? If you're actually being prevented from free speech than yes there's a problem, if you're looking to spread hateful info then I guess you have to go find an old copy of wordperfect. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the company does, its a free market. If you don't like MS Word anymore you're free to use something else. 

Like if you live in the Apple world.  Course, those people are all rich coffee house left wing hippy intellectuals that belong to the cult of Apple.:P

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Like if you live in the Apple world.  Course, those people are all rich coffee house left wing hippy intellectuals that belong to the cult of Apple.:P

I resemble that remark. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think its important to ask, under what circumstances you would want to use those terms? If you're actually being prevented from free speech than yes there's a problem, if you're looking to spread hateful info then I guess you have to go find an old copy of wordperfect. 

What are essentially monopolies in a "free market" - hmmmmm.     Who decides what is hateful?   Again, I don't recall signing a contract when I was born saying I couldn't be offended.   Moreover, EVERYTHING said will offend someone if you spread the net far enough.   Societal norms have weeded out what the majority find "hateful" and similar with decent success for centuries but now we are having a handful of monolithic, and largely single politically biased, entities dictating who can share information on their platforms, what "good" speech looks like etc.    

I dunno, I find this a real slippery slope for peoplekind and think we should all person up and say something about it.   Even those in living in Peopletoba or play defensive lineperson in the NFL.   "SOMETHING".   There, feel better.   

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What are essentially monopolies in a "free market" - hmmmmm.     Who decides what is hateful?   Again, I don't recall signing a contract when I was born saying I couldn't be offended.   Moreover, EVERYTHING said will offend someone if you spread the net far enough.   Societal norms have weeded out what the majority find "hateful" and similar with decent success for centuries but now we are having a handful of monolithic, and largely single politically biased, entities dictating who can share information on their platforms, what "good" speech looks like etc.    

I dunno, I find this a real slippery slope for peoplekind and think we should all person up and say something about it.   Even those in living in Peopletoba or play defensive lineperson in the NFL.   "SOMETHING".   There, feel better.   

you're totally right on the part about being offended, no one has a right to not get offended by someone else. 

But we do have hate speech laws and constitutional protections, so thats the measure of decision for whats hateful. The rest is down to personal preferences and what you want to subject yourself to or not.

I think there's a lot of fear being whipped up on the right about some wave of lefty outrage thats going to swallow us all up. So MS Word suggests police officer? did your cajones fall off? I think you'll be fine. 

We need to ground these discussion in some reality. If you look at the 100 years or so of people fighting for women's rights e.g., from working to get the vote, to the ERA movement right up to today, women still aren't getting equal pay e.g. Sometimes people need to push the envelope to get fair treatment. Worrying about MS Word making suggestions is about as tiny a problem as you can get compared to someone getting 80 cents on the dollar for the same job. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 2

Which same jobs are there that men are paid more than women - and I don't mean a few trace examples in one industry or field but where it is clearly and demonstrably a widespread epidemic across all sectors. However, it is merely not that simple. Experience comes into play - skill sets - seemingly these things are disregarded in this discussion every single time and the leftist just wants to judge based on sex. My associate here at work gets paid more for precisely those things. If I am a female, should he make more than me still or should we be paid the same because of my sex? But why stop there - there are also appearance biases, height biases, personality biases. These things are also discriminatory and things you cannot necessarily control because you are who you are.