The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Boeser + 10th for Byram + [winger]

[proposal] Boeser + 10th for Byram + [winger]

Boeser + 10th for 3-5OA + winger.  

I haven’t checked the lottery draft rankings, but Chicago is 3rd right?  LA is 5th?  

I doubt Bryam drops to 5thOA but if he does, how about a Boeser + 10th for Toffoli + 5th OA?

Similar deal for 3rd or 4th overall.  Boeser + 10th for Byram + winger.    

On July 1st, we then go hard after Dzingel or Panarin to compensate the loss of Boeser.

Best case scenario:  We land a top notch defensive prospect in Byram + a decent enough replacement for Boeser in the form of Dzingel or Panarin.

Worst case scenario:  We land a top notch defensive prospect in Byram + a semi decent winger in return in said trade + we clear cap space by moving Boeser who will need to be reupped.

• Wat 11

1 hour ago, Honeydew said:

Why?

A few reasons why I would consider this:

1) For a rebuilding team, it’s more important to solidify the Center position and Defense before finishing up the wings.  This is also one reason why I would never move Horvat (as 1-2 other threads have suggested), and would be more inclined to move Boeser before moving Horvat.  With Byram and Hughes on our defense, our defense would likely be solidifed.

2) July 1st is just around the corner and a number of good top 6 wingers are available.......and we have cap space!    

Given the amount of cap space that we have, it’s extremely UNlikely that we would miss out on ALL of the following:

-Panarin

-Dzingel

-Duchene

-Skinner

etc. (Ferland, Connolly)

It would be VERY likely that we would be able to land atleast one of the above.

End result?

Defense = huge improvement.

Wings = slight downgrade....or even zero downgrade if you land a guy like Panarin.

Overall net gain.

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I doubt Bryam drops to 5thOA...

Actually I think there is a decent chance Byram drops to #5. He may be the BPA at #3 but both CHI and COL (picking at #3 and #4) have a wealth of young Dmen. There is a reasonable chance they both pick based on other needs and Byram falls to LAK.

I understand your idea that wingers can be added later and are more easily found in FA compared to C or D...

BUT WE ARE NOT GIVING UP BOESER!!!!!!

I think realistically LAK will take Byram if he is still there at #5 and run, but they may be tempted by a deal that helps them get younger, sheds cap and gives them another pick and prospect

How about a deal like:

To VAN: 5th overall, Phaneuf

To LAK: 10th overall, 40th overall, Hutton

Phaneuf has negative value at 34yo and $5.25m, and LAK needs to desperately make some cap space. VAN can afford two more seasons of Phaneuf and could use his grit on the 3rd pairing LD. LAK upgrade to a younger LD that can handle top 4 minutes and has good size for the Western conference. Plus add an early second rounder.

I’d only do something like the above. NOT TRADING BOESER!

Petey, Boes, Bo, Quinn, Demko should be considered our future core and should not be traded unless a ridiculous offer is made.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

[proposal] Boeser + 10th for Byram + [winger]

Boeser + 10th for 3-5OA + winger.  

I haven’t checked the lottery draft rankings, but Chicago is 3rd right?  LA is 5th?  

I doubt Bryam drops to 5thOA but if he does, how about a Boeser + 10th for Toffoli + 5th OA?

Similar deal for 3rd or 4th overall.  Boeser + 10th for Byram + winger.    

On July 1st, we then go hard after Dzingel or Panarin to compensate the loss of Boeser.

Best case scenario:  We land a top notch defensive prospect in Byram + a decent enough replacement for Boeser in the form of Dzingel or Panarin.

Worst case scenario:  We land a top notch defensive prospect in Byram + a semi decent winger in return in said trade + we clear cap space by moving Boeser who will need to be reupped.

Uhm no thanks!!

Rather have Boeser and one of Cozens, Krebs, Caufield, Boldy, Zegras, Soderström,..

Canucks are not trading Boeser, EP40, Captain Bo or Quinn as they mentioned several times!

• Upvote 3

As good a year  Bowen is having, and as good a prospect he is, I don't think he's worth trading Boeser for.  Byram kinds of reminds me of Dobson last year.  Their stats are similar in their draft year...and both had huge playoffs and a deep run with their team.  They both play with a stacked team, and I think that kind of overvalue the players IMO.  I think both will have great career in the NHL...however it remain to be seen if these guys are going to be at a level of a Duncan Keith or more like a Jay Bouwmeester type of players.  Because of this, I don't think you trade a known asset like Boeser for an unknown like Byram.

• Upvote 1

I'd rather draft Soderstrom on D and hope he turns out than give up Boeser and hope Byram turns out. Either way you are drafting D, not many jump into the NHL right away and help a team. Byram is no different. Yeah he had a monster playoffs in the WHL, that means squat in the NHL. I would explore other ways to achieve this deal, but I think Benning would want to keep our young guys together. Horvat, Boeser, Petey, Gaud, Hughes, Demko...

• Cheers 2