The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] 8th Overall Edmonton

The draft is in Vancouver and I'm hoping the Canucks make a splash and trade for another lottery pick. A prime candidate to trade with is Edmonton; Edmonton needs help now and supposedly the talent level drops off after the 6th pick and some of those players may not be able to help a team this coming season. So what I propose is: 

To Vancouver: 

8th Overall 

Sekera

To Edmonton:

Tanev

2nd Round pick

1st 2020

Edmonton is able to rid themselves of Sekera's contract and gives them a top four of Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse and Tanev. I added a first round pick from 2020 because Edmonton could just go out and try and trade the 8th overall for a younger top four defensemen. With this trade Edmonton not only acquires a top four defensemen, they shed just over 1 million in salary and get chance to make up for giving up the 8th overall and select in the lottery next year if Vancouver does not make the playoffs again. 

Vancouver on the other hand is able to absorb Sekera's contract for the next two season while also acquiring the 8th overall pick. With two picks in the top 10 the Canucks are able to draft a top rated forward and defensemen or try and move up into the top 3. Also, the Canucks could reacquire a 2nd round pick with another trade. 

What do you guys think, would this be a fair trade for both teams? 

Edited by Doogie
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I don;t know why we'd add a first round pick to this if we're giving them Tanev, a second and cap space.

Also, when taking on cap dumps, priority needs to be serviceable player who are paid too much. I don't think Sekera meets the 1st criterion.  

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, EagleShield said:

I don;t know why we'd add a first round pick to this if we're giving them Tanev, a second and cap space.

Also, when taking on cap dumps, priority needs to be serviceable player who are paid too much. I don't think Sekera meets the 1st criterion.  

Well, when you look at it from Edmonton's perspective, would you give up the 8th overall for Tanev a 2nd and 1 million in cap space? 

Also, Sekera is two years removed from a 35 point season, the last two years injuries haven't been kind to him. If he can stay health and get us 15-20 points I'd say that is a serviceable player. If he suffers another injury, we add him to IR or LTIR depending on severity and call up Sautner, Chatfield, Breisbois, Rafferty or Teves. But at the end of the day instead of walking away with one pick in the top 10 we have two. 

Sekera was actually pretty good for Edmonton when he came back from injury and ended the season healthy. Tanev missed the final 11 games with a lower body injury.  I doubt Holland sees taking on a question mark in Tanev as a big enough win to trade away the 8th overall pick.  

26 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Sekera was actually pretty good for Edmonton when he came back from injury and ended the season healthy. Tanev missed the final 11 games with a lower body injury.  I doubt Holland sees taking on a question mark in Tanev as a big enough win to trade away the 8th overall pick.  

marginally. For the cap hit we'd be better off just keeping Hutton. 

4 hours ago, Doogie said:

The draft is in Vancouver and I'm hoping the Canucks make a splash and trade for another lottery pick. A prime candidate to trade with is Edmonton; Edmonton needs help now and supposedly the talent level drops off after the 6th pick and some of those players may not be able to help a team this coming season. So what I propose is: 

To Vancouver: 

8th Overall 

Sekera

To Edmonton:

Tanev

2nd Round pick

1st 2020

Edmonton is able to rid themselves of Sekera's contract and gives them a top four of Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse and Tanev. I added a first round pick from 2020 because Edmonton could just go out and try and trade the 8th overall for a younger top four defensemen. With this trade Edmonton not only acquires a top four defensemen, they shed just over 1 million in salary and get chance to make up for giving up the 8th overall and select in the lottery next year if Vancouver does not make the playoffs again. 

Vancouver on the other hand is able to absorb Sekera's contract for the next two season while also acquiring the 8th overall pick. With two picks in the top 10 the Canucks are able to draft a top rated forward and defensemen or try and move up into the top 3. Also, the Canucks could reacquire a 2nd round pick with another trade. 

What do you guys think, would this be a fair trade for both teams? 

I think we're overpaying a lot with that 2020 1st. We're helping out a division rival, which might hurt us for years,  so its got to be lopsided in our favour. 

• Upvote 1

EDM needs help now (getting rid of Lucic). I think any deal with EDM will involve Lucic.

to VAN: #8 and Lucic

to EDM: #40

Then, after Eriksson rips it up at the Worlds, they trade him. Get rid of one bad contract, pick up another, get an extra Top 10 pick.

Lucic - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Krebs

Hughes - Seider

Juolevi - Woo

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

EDM needs help now (getting rid of Lucic). I think any deal with EDM will involve Lucic.

Then, after Eriksson rips it up at the Worlds, they trade him. Get rid of one bad contract, pick up another, get an extra Top 10 pick.

Pearson - Horvat - Krebs

Hughes - Seider

Juolevi - Woo

Your proposal just might be the only way the Coil can rid themselves of Lucic's contract.  Milan has a NMC.  Maybe the only team he is willing to go to, that would actually want him (providing 8 OA comes along too) is the Canucks?

If we could get 8 OA, would you trade 8 +10 for 2 (if Kakko goes first) to the Rags to draft Jack Hughes?  

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Your proposal just might be the only way the Coil can rid themselves of Lucic's contract.  Milan has a NMC.  Maybe the only team he is willing to go to, that would actually want him (providing 8 OA comes along too) is the Canucks?

If we could get 8 OA, would you trade 8 +10 for 2 (if Kakko goes first) to the Rags to draft Jack Hughes?  

Ooh that would be tempting.

Hughes - Pettersson - Boeser

Even if Lucic regresses more over the next couple of years, he could always be dropped down to the 3rd line, while maybe Lind gets into the Top 6? With Lucic, I see him giving more effort to playing here than Loui.  It obviously didn't work out for him in EDM. He was probably under the impression he would ride shotgun to McDavid for the next 7 years, but the coaching staff had other ideas. I'm sure he would like out too.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pearson - Horvat - Krebs

Hughes - Seider

Juolevi - Woo

I REALLY don't want Lucic here, but if we were doing a trade that involved him, I would want Eriksson going the other way. Cap hit balances out and I think that Eriksson would better fit Edmonton than he does here.

To Van: #8 OA and Lucic

To EDM: #40 OA Eriksson, 6th round pick 2019

If Edmonton needs to re-trade Eriksson, they can do that easier than we can Lucic, but I REALLY don't want to make this trade if I'm JB. We'd be acquiring an overpriced boat anchor.

If they are giving up the 8th it's not for a 2nd rounder and a future 1st rounder. Lol. The point is to improve now and with a top 10 pick it better be for a player that vastly improves your team. Tanev doesn't improve that team when he misses 20 games a year and is good for 5-10 points at best. They laugh and say "so about Hughes". We don't have what they want cause what they want we also want. Top 6 wingers and puck moving d-men. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think any of these trades would appeal to Edmonton in the least.

A more realistic scenario might be:

To Edm: 10th overall + Eriksson

To Van: 8th overall + Lucic

We move up 2 spots to take on an extra year of dead money.

Not sure if I'd bother, then again if Lucic was to find a bottom six role, and provide some intimidation, it might be worth it.

2 hours ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

Yeah, I don't think any of these trades would appeal to Edmonton in the least.

A more realistic scenario might be:

To Edm: 10th overall + Eriksson

To Van: 8th overall + Lucic

We move up 2 spots to take on an extra year of dead money.

Not sure if I'd bother, then again if Lucic was to find a bottom six role, and provide some intimidation, it might be worth it.

Disagree why take on a worse contract just to move up 2 spots. The tier of player you are getting between 8-10 isn't that much. Moving up 2 spots isn't enough of a sweetener to take on the Lucic contact even if they take LE.

Edited by babalu

6 hours ago, babalu said:

Disagree why take on a worse contract just to move up 2 spots. The tier of player you are getting between 8-10 isn't that much. Moving up 2 spots isn't enough of a sweetener to take on the Lucic contact even if they take LE.

Overall I agree with you, it's just that Eriksson is such a poor fit here,  that it's tempting to try something like this just to see if Lucic might be able to find a role on the team. Best case scenario, we trade Eriksson to a team like Ottawa that needs to get to the floor. Not sure that'll happen, though. 

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] 8th Overall Edmonton