The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jordan Schroeder signs with Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod (KHL)

37 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Imagine if we had skipped on the guy falling into our lap. The outrage over not getting him would have been hilarious.

This is too true. Too many people use hindsight to call this a bad pick. The reality was that Schroeder (and Hodgson) were both DOMINANT on the international stage for their age.

People liked the picks at the time, but of course, pretend to know from the beginning that their careers would not make it through to the end.

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This is too true. Too many people use hindsight to call this a bad pick. The reality was that Schroeder (and Hodgson) were both DOMINANT on the international stage for their age.

People liked the picks at the time, but of course, pretend to know from the beginning that their careers would not make it through to the end.

To be fair, I remember thinking Hodgson was going to be a good player, but one question always bugged me: where would he fit on this team? We had Henrik and Kesler up the middle and usually had solid 3rd and 4th lines at that time. Yet, here we had this prospect in Hodgson who played an entirely different game and seemed more of a piece you work around and compliment with other players, which we didn't have time for.

Then there was Shroeder, who at least had some grit and could sort of play 3rd line. It was funny really because I saw more of a fit for Shroeder as a result than Hodgson, but neither were nothing like the players we generally draft now. If Juolevi and Virtanen are the worst we have in the 1st round, I'm fine with that. Virtanen's miles ahead of Shroeder as far as I'm concerned, lol

28 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I remember many people wanted us to draft Landon Ferraro with that pick. Oh what could have been!!

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He (Virtanen) ALWAYS had the odds in his favor considering he was 6th overall vs 22nd overall.  

Shouldn't matter at this point though. Did you know Glennie was piced 8th overall in the same draft as Shroeder? He's also not as successful as Virtanen nor Shroeder. Or how about when Paajarvi was selected by Edmonton? People thought he was going to be elite.

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Shouldn't matter at this point though. Did you know Glennie was piced 8th overall in the same draft as Shroeder? He's also not as successful as Virtanen.

It doesn't mean it's a guarantee much like playing "basic black strategy" will lead you to win every time.  It *DOES* improve your odds vs just 'guessing'....much like drafting higher (and it *IS* a significant difference between drafting 6th vs 22nd).  IMHO, it's hardly fair comparing those picks.  Now comparing him with Boeser would be a better example. You need good drafting ability to pick a guy like Boeser.  It doesn't require as much "skill" if you draft in the top 6 but that's just my opinion.

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It doesn't mean it's a guarantee much like playing "basic black strategy" will lead you to win every time.  It *DOES* improve your odds vs just 'guessing'....much like drafting higher (and it *IS* a significant difference between drafting 6th vs 22nd).  IMHO, it's hardly fair comparing those picks.  Now comparing him with Boeser would be a better example.

You have to understand where I'm coming from though. People on these boards, no matter what, think each of our prospects are going to win multiple awards. etc. People were literally using the argument of Shroeder being scouted 5th overall by multiple scouts and running with that to either shame him or boost him. People were literally treating him at times like a Virtanen, so I find it a very interesting comparison now.

But I've been on this forum a while so I understand if people weren't around when that happened. lol

People seem to forget, he was also expected to go top-5. 

He does seem to have all the tools.... just can't seem to put it all together in the NHL.

Just that little "it" that separates the likes of Patrick Kane and Johnny Gaudreau from someone like Schroeder.

That being said, I wonder how much of an impact did the Canucks having to use the Chicago Wolves as their affiliate hurt their prospects.  Almost nobody who went through that roster ever ended up as an impact player in the NHL.

Not saying it's the sole reason for Schroeder not being an NHLer, as he's all on him.... but when you spend your years 20-22 in an organization that isn't looking after your best interests... just saying.  

14 minutes ago, The Lock said:

You have to understand where I'm coming from though. People on these boards, no matter what, think each of our prospects are going to win multiple awards. etc. People were literally using the argument of Shroeder being scouted 5th overall by multiple scouts and running with that to either shame him or boost him. People were literally treating him at times like a Virtanen, so I find it a very interesting comparison now.

But I've been on this forum a while so I understand if people weren't around when that happened. lol

I'm old so my memory might be off but wasn't Schroeder always a 'boom or bust' type of prospect?  If he couldn't hack it as a top six forward, he wouldn't make it in the NHL.  Virtanen doesn't have that problem.  He can be put anywhere in the lineup/alot more flexibility in his useage.

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'm old so my memory might be off but wasn't Schroeder always a 'boom or bust' type of prospect?  If he couldn't hack it as a top six forward, he wouldn't make it in the NHL.  Virtanen doesn't have that problem.  He can be put anywhere in the lineup/alot more flexibility in his useage.

Yeah, but does that stop people on this board from "overhype" or "overbust"? lol

This is also what I mean by Virtanen is miles ahead.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, but does that stop people on this board from "overhype" or "overbust"? lol

This is also what I mean by Virtanen is miles ahead.

Yeah I think people assume a GM is supposed to 'hit' on all his 1st round picks....especially if they're top 6 picks.  It doesn't work out that way.  This is my first defense of Benning to those that say "he's only a good drafter because he has had those high picks".  Just look at some of the good/great prospects he's picked much further down.  Boeser, The big Russian (now how he was handled is the subject of a different discussion), Demko, etc).

Archived