The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Exploring a trade for Phil Kessel

https://thecanuckway.com/2019/05/18/vancouver-canucks-should-explore-a-trade-for-phil-kessel/

I stumbled across this article and I was very intrigued by the idea. His proposal is just plain ridiculous IMO, but I'm encouraged by the thought of trying to trade for him.

Canucks and Penguins have some good trade chemistry since Benning has taken over as well, so it's might be more realistic than most think.

In the article the writer suggests we trade Virtanen, Juolevi, and Sutter for Kessel. We cannot trade Virtanen and/or Juolevi for a 32 year old winger with an 8M cap hit at this stage of our rebuild, and if we did, we would regret it. 

Penguins need to shed cap, and not many teams can afford to take on that contract, and there is still 3 years left on his contract. Sutter would be a starting point, as I think the Penguins would love the idea of getting their under rated shutdown guy back. Obviously we would have to offer more, but what would they want that won't hurt our future?

Goldobin

Baertschi

Granlund

Hutton

Markstrom

Beagle

Roussel

Motte

Lievo

I would trade any combination of these players with Sutter and maybe a late pick or 2 to get Kessel. Kessel would give us 2 legit top lines, and could actually help us win a round or 2 of playoff hockey if a couple young guys break out (Virtanen, Hughes, Demko, Juolevi,?)

What's your thought on potentially trading for Phil Kessel?

None of the players you listed will even get the conversation started to acquire Kessel. In a “down” year, he was still a point per game player. Other teams that are interested are going to be offering more than 4th liners, KHL threats, injury prone players, and carry journeymen.

Edit: Nor should the Nucks spend young assets on a 32 year old that makes $8 mil until 2022-2023. Odds are there would be tough cap casualty sacrifices for the team to make when the young guns need their big contracts.

damn

really

i'm gonna get me a permit

to open up a street sidewalk hotdog stand

i'm sure to see substantial profits

should this player be pursued

:P

oh yeah

and look at his age, contract, fitness level

and tell me he still has a long productive career ahead of him

if he does, pens would move malkin and keep him

Kessel isn’t a fit here as he still has plenty of value to other teams.

The biggest stumbling block is that Pittsburgh is in a win now mode, and any team interested in acquiring Kessler would also be in win-now.... so no classic trade of sending a player for picks and prospects.  It is possible there are teams like Buffalo, Florida, and Columbus that just badly need to have playoffs runs and are willing to part with a younger, cheaper good roster player for him.

They are much more likely to try to move on from Hornqvist and a D like Gudbranson/Johnson to make some cap  space.

If we are trading them Virtanen, then Marcus Petterson better be coming our way.  We can take on Hornvqvist’s salary as part of it and send Sutter with salary retained to them.

It would put pressure on Eder to sign if he wants to be here, a back up plan in place on the left side lessens our desperation to overpay him... and if he really wants to be here, he would blink instead of us.

Petterson

Hughes

Hutton

Schenn

(Juolevi as injury call up)

If Edler did sign, we could easily trade Hutton and still end up ahead.

48 minutes ago, Provost said:

Kessel isn’t a fit here as he still has plenty of value to other teams.

The biggest stumbling block is that Pittsburgh is in a win now mode, and any team interested in acquiring Kessler would also be in win-now.... so no classic trade of sending a player for picks and prospects.  It is possible there are teams like Buffalo, Florida, and Columbus that just badly need to have playoffs runs and are willing to part with a younger, cheaper good roster player for him.

They are much more likely to try to move on from Hornqvist and a D like Gudbranson/Johnson to make some cap  space.

If we are trading them Virtanen, then Marcus Petterson better be coming our way.  We can take on Hornvqvist’s salary as part of it and send Sutter with salary retained to them.

It would put pressure on Eder to sign if he wants to be here, a back up plan in place on the left side lessens our desperation to overpay him... and if he really wants to be here, he would blink instead of us.

Petterson

Hughes

Hutton

Schenn

(Juolevi as injury call up)

If Edler did sign, we could easily trade Hutton and still end up ahead.

You mean the leading point scorer for Sweden right now? Would be a huge mistake.

27 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You mean the leading point scorer for Sweden right now? Would be a huge mistake.

I am not talking about Nylander...

It is pretty well reported that in Pittsburgh that he is one of the names being bandied about as helping ease their cap issues.  He has a concussion history,had a bad year, and is on a big enough contract to help their cap.

Part of a single tournament (so far against incredibly weak competition) is not how teams judge their players.

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am not talking about Nylander...

It is pretty well reported that in Pittsburgh that he is one of the names being bandied about as helping ease their cap issues.

Part of a single tournament (so far against incredibly weak competition) is not how teams judge their players.

I would have agreed with you before we signed Eriksson based on his performance with the Sedins outside of the NHL. lol

Just now, The Lock said:

I would have agreed with you before we signed Eriksson based on his performance with the Sedins outside of the NHL. lol

He is looking good in this tourney as well... maybe someone will want him without us having to add a big sweetener :)

Just now, Provost said:

He is looking good in this tourney as well... maybe someone will want him without us having to add a big sweetener :)

Honestly, I think some players just don't do well in certain systems. Eriksson has played well on the same NHL surface for many years, prior to coming over to the Canucks. He's also shown in this tournament that he is far from "washed up".

Heck, even Gudbranson looks/looked better in Pittsburgh, but someone like Tanner Pearson, though skilled, looked like a plug in Pittsburgh.

7 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

https://thecanuckway.com/2019/05/18/vancouver-canucks-should-explore-a-trade-for-phil-kessel/

I stumbled across this article and I was very intrigued by the idea. His proposal is just plain ridiculous IMO, but I'm encouraged by the thought of trying to trade for him.

Canucks and Penguins have some good trade chemistry since Benning has taken over as well, so it's might be more realistic than most think.

In the article the writer suggests we trade Virtanen, Juolevi, and Sutter for Kessel. We cannot trade Virtanen and/or Juolevi for a 32 year old winger with an 8M cap hit at this stage of our rebuild, and if we did, we would regret it. 

Penguins need to shed cap, and not many teams can afford to take on that contract, and there is still 3 years left on his contract. Sutter would be a starting point, as I think the Penguins would love the idea of getting their under rated shutdown guy back. Obviously we would have to offer more, but what would they want that won't hurt our future?

Goldobin

Baertschi

Granlund

Hutton

Markstrom

Beagle

Roussel

Motte

Lievo

I would trade any combination of these players with Sutter and maybe a late pick or 2 to get Kessel. Kessel would give us 2 legit top lines, and could actually help us win a round or 2 of playoff hockey if a couple young guys break out (Virtanen, Hughes, Demko, Juolevi,?)

What's your thought on potentially trading for Phil Kessel?

I can’t access capgeek right now (I’m in China), but how much term does he have left on his contract?    If there’s only 1-2 years left, then it *might* be worth exploring, but I think the Pens’ asking price would be too high.

I’m not sure if there’s a fit here.

A little off topic but I just wanna say I can’t believe how many outlets and post get Phil Kessels cap hit wrong when talking about him. 

His total cap hit is 8 million, but 1.2 million of that is retained by Toronto. So is effective cap hit is only 6.8 million per season - much more affordable especially for a contending team. 

Its not only this article that gets it wrong, I’ve heard hosts on sportsnet 650 and TSN 1040 say 8 million and I’ve seen other comments around the web as well. It’s not hard to go to the Penguins or leafs cap friendly page to see what the cap hit to the team is. 

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] Exploring a trade for Phil Kessel

Archived