The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Caufield or Podkolzin

Rate this topic

SuperJr

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Podkolzin is staying in Russia to play for the next 2 years. Caufield is going to college next year and then probably to the AHL for a year. Who will be the better NHL player by then? My guess is it would be Podkolzin, due to his size, speed and hands. Maybe having Tryamkin here would persuade Podkolzin?

My question is: why has Podkolzin's stock dropped lately? Is it because he said he wanted to stay in Russia to play there for the next couple of years? 

Quite possibly. That was the reason Jagr went 5th overall even though he was acknowledged to be the best player in his draft. Pens were the only team who he let know that he would come over immediately. I wonder if Pod is doing the same thing: letting only the team he wants know that he is immediately available.

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2019 at 7:26 PM, SuperJr said:

When the Canucks are up to pick 10th overall, and both Caufield and Podkolzin are still on the board, who would you rather us take? Caufield or Podkolzin?

Podkolzin was labeled as a cant miss prospect just behind Hughes and Kakko, suddenly saw its stock dropped out of top 3, then top 5, now suddenly on some list out of the top 10. 

On the opposite end, we have Caufield who wasnt event consider a 1st round pick early in the year who have soared up the ranking top a top 10 ranking and some have him in the top 5.

Which player would you take a chance?

Screenshot_20190518-190218_Samsung Internet.jpg

Holy "S"hite, his end to end rush against  team sweden, finished split the D and chip it in while falling down? Petey 2.0? If so... nice steal JB! 

Edited by iceman64

On 5/18/2019 at 7:34 PM, Phat Fingers said:

So...... 

I doubt Podz drops to 10, but if he is there, I would be very hesitant to pass on him.  

Not the same level and the rankings beyond the top 2 are going to be variable and very hard to predict.  

Wait and see.  

You prediction is correct

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2019 at 2:00 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

No way I'm drafting a guy even smaller than Little Johnny...

Podkolzin oozes high end talent.  If he's available at 10 I run to the podium.  Could be the next Jim Benning steal of the draft.

If Podkolzin is sitting there at 7 or 8 I can already hear Benning saying "Why isn't anyone taking Podkolzin?"

:bigblush:

On 5/18/2019 at 7:34 PM, Phat Fingers said:

So...... 

I doubt Podz drops to 10, but if he is there, I would be very hesitant to pass on him.  

Not the same level and the rankings beyond the top 2 are going to be variable and very hard to predict.  

Wait and see.  

Nice call !

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2019 at 10:30 AM, HockeyHarry said:

The best Caulfield comparison is kings Marcel Dionne.

im still not wanting Caulfield as I like other players this draft more.

Dionne was first a great skater, but second he was built like a block.  Add to that, during the Dionne era, most of the big boys couldn't skate like they do today.  But yes, in the 70's Caufield might have been a player.  

• Cheers 1