The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Wash, Pitts, Toronto, Vegas are in Cap Hell

Well according to Capfriendly, who has posted its 2019-2020, there are a lot of teams looking for help, or are so tight to their Self-Imposed Internal Cap, there should be plenty of deals to be had, throughout the league. I would conservatively say 1/2 the league is in some kind of bind, the list will grow, if deals are not made.

IMO, our 2019-2020 Cap will allow us some latitude, in moving and signing players. All of the above teams, will need some of our expendable players, and some of our depth, if the right deal is presented, either to or by them.

Expendables, such as Granlund, Baertschi, Sutter, Leivo, Goldobin, Motte, Schaller, Hutton, and Biega, as well as Markstrom could all be very valuable to the right team this coming year.

Not all should go, but where upgrades, prospects or Draft pick can be obtained, for value, Benning should be looking at them...……..

Markstrom should be offered up, if the right deal can be had, because he is coming off a solid season and is at a decent cap hit for this season, Colorado maybe be interested in him for  I the price is right and they are looking to compete now....the addition of Markstrom and their 2019 1st (4th OA) may push them into the upper echelons sooner than later. Vancouver is behind their rebuild and Markstrom isn't getting any younger. If Benning thinks he can win without him short term, he should look at dealing him.

Baertschi, Sutter, and Hutton all have solid value with incentives of either adding a pick or cap retention, and the others all either are RFA depth players who are adequate replacements, or

players under contract which would give teams short term relief...….

In reality, there will only be a few teams, who will be able to make those deals using their excess cap, and less when taking their own roster into account. This will be a year in which Benning should be judged by his manipulation of his cap. If his next contract is judge by anything, it will be his deals within the next 1 1/2 months.......

For those interested, go to Capfriendly and take a look at the contracts up, and how much Cap some of these teams have, it is quite interesting..........some teams have as few as 13 players signed for next season, many have 15 and 16 players signed.......(Vancouver has 20 with Boeser and Edler still to sign, so we have plenty of players that can be moved) There will be some good players bought out this year, because of this.

As an example Toronto has 17 players under contract, with $8,790,000 in cap space. Marner will demand pretty much all that cap space, and they will still have to sign Kapanen, Johnsson, and 3 others, to make their 23 man roster. No way they can do it all, with no additional cap...….Toronto will give up assets of some kind to keep their line up solid or not.....It will be interesting to watch.

Conversely, Vegas is all ready over next years cap, still needing 4 players to fill out their 23 man roster, one of which is an unsigned William Kaslsson………..again cap hell!

Karlsson had 56 points this season, 78 the year before...…….Brock had 56 for us...……...that is 5.5 to 6 million in Karlsson alone, if he gets the same as Brock and another 3 million on top of that for the other 3 needed.

Pittsburgh needs 6 more players to round out their roster with having less than 4 Million to do it with...………..

Washington need 7 more signed with only 10 million left, and Vrana (47pts) and Burakovsky (25 pts) being 2 of the 7 players...…..Vrana will take 5 million or that, or close to it!

Something to watch, that is for sure!

Lots more teams with the same problems...………….

JIHN,   Agree with you, & it'll continue to be interesting. If there's ever another sharp economic downturn(ala 2008, Lehman) there'll be a number of ownership/GM's left holding a bag of oozing excess.

It seems there was a pretty sharp inflation for a number of kids that used to get a modest bridge(2nd contract). If you already have a few overpaid vets, a squeeze will follow in short order.

Appears there's around a 2:1 ratio, of teams with minimal space remaining, vs those who might exploit the scenario(more to post in a min...)

(cont'd)...we're one of the teams in the latter group, prob for the next 1-3 seasons. As fans, we mostly all want JB to exploit this by landing top talent/nice picks, by alleviating some other GM's cap-situation.

To be a fly on the wall..it's interesting to ponder the number of deals JB is offered. His phone will be ringing a lot, as June/July arrive.

The question that really matters is how ownership feels. Consider:

- how poorly many recent older acquisitions have fared(stats, in relation to their cap hit). Loui is the obvious cautionary. Our FA's have been hit/miss

- League moving goal posts with shyte-conjured 'rules' like cap-recapture

This would REALLLLy p*ss me off, if I were an owner. The Cdn markets prop up a number of their empty(giveaway-tix) regions, & they have the F***ing nerve/gall to pull that petty crap?!

My guess is they instruct JB to stand firm, until the proverbial dam breaks, with an offer you just can't say no to.

June to August:

I'll guess there are 5 or 6 'larcenous' deals this offseason, with unbelievable talent frittered away, due to GM's who can't freeken count to 81. We'll be one of the opportunists to gain significantly.

Also guess LE goes to Sens, after we pay his 3 mill bonus. 3 yrs x 3 mill( 9 total) for a 6 mill AAV?..Looks Beautiful to Melnyk in July.

Nice one...

Good post Jan.

Wouldn't it be nice to see Benning actually taking advantage of the cap space he has available...

As has been discussed/suggested lots of times on these boards, get some picks/players off the teams in cap hell, either through swap with retention of salary or simply just pick them... Surely there must be a way to strengthen the team. 

37 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Would be awesome if Benning could make something like this happen

Karlsson Pettersson Nylander 

Pearson Horvat Boeser 

From Head Office....1861346577_nothanks.jpg.7eaccee50e8040ca44304f46f82c71cb.jpg  :)

13 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Nice one...

Good post Jan.

Wouldn't it be nice to see Benning actually taking advantage of the cap space he has available...

As has been discussed/suggested lots of times on these boards, get some picks/players off the teams in cap hell, either through swap with retention of salary or simply just pick them... Surely there must be a way to strengthen the team. 

You know, you are right we have talked about this many times Spook, but as I realized that, I started thinking that maybe Benning has been thinking about it for awhile also, and he is just waiting for it to unfold. I mean, he did move out cap, and he has moved out some NTC, and positioned himself in a decent position, all the while, building his team. Those that feel Benning needs a Capoligist, are probably right, but that is not to say he hasn't got a decent handle on it, himself.

Like I said earlier, I will wait and see. We are not going to get rich, but maybe richer. We 30 Million this year, as we speak, with Brock and Edler getting 12 MIllion of it, and Pettersson and Hughes getting more of it next year, so he has to be careful, but if he moves out some, he should have 12 or 14 Million to play with, which could definitely improve the team going forward...….

There is a lot of moving parts....it intrigues me!

26 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'm not sure how Schaller would be of any value to another team in 'cap hell'.  He's been AWFUL for us as 4th line forward making $1.9 million.  He ain't a bargain at that price unless we retain a major part of his salary.

Player X = Schaller

Player X has a salary of 2.9 Million

Schaller has a salary of 1.9

Schaller 50% retained traded for player X....net savings for other team of 2 Million...………...if you are Vegas with player X and you need 2 million to get under the cap

and everyone is asking for a 2nd, and the Canucks will take a 3rd...………...the you win, and they win...………..that is all I am really saying...….net gain for cap traded

That is all

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well according to Capfriendly, who has posted its 2019-2020, there are a lot of teams looking for help, or are so tight to their Self-Imposed Internal Cap, there should be plenty of deals to be had, throughout the league. I would conservatively say 1/2 the league is in some kind of bind, the list will grow, if deals are not made.

IMO, our 2019-2020 Cap will allow us some latitude, in moving and signing players. All of the above teams, will need some of our expendable players, and some of our depth, if the right deal is presented, either to or by them.

Expendables, such as Granlund, Baertschi, Sutter, Leivo, Goldobin, Motte, Schaller, Hutton, and Biega, as well as Markstrom could all be very valuable to the right team this coming year.

Not all should go, but where upgrades, prospects or Draft pick can be obtained, for value, Benning should be looking at them...……..

Markstrom should be offered up, if the right deal can be had, because he is coming off a solid season and is at a decent cap hit for this season, Colorado maybe be interested in him for  I the price is right and they are looking to compete now....the addition of Markstrom and their 2019 1st (4th OA) may push them into the upper echelons sooner than later. Vancouver is behind their rebuild and Markstrom isn't getting any younger. If Benning thinks he can win without him short term, he should look at dealing him.

Baertschi, Sutter, and Hutton all have solid value with incentives of either adding a pick or cap retention, and the others all either are RFA depth players who are adequate replacements, or

players under contract which would give teams short term relief...….

In reality, there will only be a few teams, who will be able to make those deals using their excess cap, and less when taking their own roster into account. This will be a year in which Benning should be judged by his manipulation of his cap. If his next contract is judge by anything, it will be his deals within the next 1 1/2 months.......

For those interested, go to Capfriendly and take a look at the contracts up, and how much Cap some of these teams have, it is quite interesting..........some teams have as few as 13 players signed for next season, many have 15 and 16 players signed.......(Vancouver has 20 with Boeser and Edler still to sign, so we have plenty of players that can be moved) There will be some good players bought out this year, because of this.

Trading Markstrom would be a terrible move in my opinion.

The cons of “throwing Demko to the wolves” would likely significantly outweigh whatever late first or early 2nd round pick we’d get for Markstrom.    Demko needs to get his feet wet and get in some solid games as a back-up.  Once Demko develops a bit at the NHL level, then you can start exploring options.

34 minutes ago, Jaku said:

Weapoinze the Canucks cap! Take an undesirable contract and as compensation get a really good young forward - I.E Kasperi Kapanen 

I would be wary of taking long term undesirable contracts since it would likely cause us future cap problems when we have to reup Pettersson and Hughes.   

However - I’d be willing to take on short term undesirable contracts.  I’d also be willing to take on undesirable long term contracts IF we have a team a slightly less undesirable contract (with the expectation that we’d be upgrading a pick).  

For example - a possible Eriksson + 10th for Lucic + 8th.

4 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I would be wary of taking long term undesirable contracts since it would likely cause us future cap problems when we have to reup Pettersson and Hughes.   

However - I’d be willing to take on short term undesirable contracts.  I’d also be willing to take on undesirable long term contracts IF we have a team a slightly less undesirable contract (with the expectation that we’d be upgrading a pick).  

For example - a possible Eriksson + 10th for Lucic + 8th.

Don't disagree with what you're saying, but I would never do that example. The Oilers gain a lot more than what we would and the difference between 8th and 10th won't be worth much.

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Player X = Schaller

Player X has a salary of 2.9 Million

Schaller has a salary of 1.9

Schaller 50% retained traded for player X....net savings for other team of 2 Million...………...if you are Vegas with player X and you need 2 million to get under the cap

and everyone is asking for a 2nd, and the Canucks will take a 3rd...………...the you win, and they win...………..that is all I am really saying...….net gain for cap traded

That is all

The math is fine, but are there any examples of a 4th line/13th forward that makes more than Schaller that makes sense to take on? We also have to consider that we don't want to take on dead weight (and waste a roster spot), but simply just an overpaid player that can still provide a role for the team. I know we can trade for a guy and waive them, but it doesn't really send a good message to the players around the league and I doubt ownership would be over the moon take on big money only to bury them and have the most expensive farm team.

Why would Colorado be interested in Markstrom when they traded for Grubauer who will likely be their #1 next year?

You might want to change your thread title because your OP doesn't once mention any of the 4 teams in the thread title.

I was hoping for an analysis on how screwed they are or possible ways to dig themselves out, but no, just more ramblings from CDC's top rambler.

51 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The math is fine, but are there any examples of a 4th line/13th forward that makes more than Schaller that makes sense to take on? We also have to consider that we don't want to take on dead weight (and waste a roster spot), but simply just an overpaid player that can still provide a role for the team. I know we can trade for a guy and waive them, but it doesn't really send a good message to the players around the league and I doubt ownership would be over the moon take on big money only to bury them and have the most expensive farm team.

I really tried to stay away from making a trade proposal here, and only pointed out the possibility, to illustrate what Benning could do...……..

There very well may be players that hold no value in any case, but that is not for me to say, I only bring up the possibility, but there could easily be more that one that fit that

scenario...…...I am not privy to JB's phone calls, I just do not want to rule anything out, and point out the possibility exists.

Archived