The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Buyout candidates

I think Lucic is going to be on the chopping block. Still has 4 years left on his contract with a 6M cap hit. If I'm the Oilers It's something I'd think long and hard about.

1 minute ago, Jaku said:

I think Lucic is going to be on the chopping block. Still has 4 years left on his contract with a 6M cap hit. If I'm the Oilers It's something I'd think long and hard about.

There is next to no cap savings in buying out Lucic 

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I defintely thought it'd be more than 2.5M over 8 years. This contract gets worse every time I look at it.

Lucic and Eriksson both have contracts that are buyout proof.  The Oilers could buyout Sekera and Gagner and save $5 million next year on their cap.  Tampa could buyout Callahan and Palat in order to re-sign Point.  Toronto, Pittsburgh and Washington will all have cap issues but I am not sure if they will buy anyone out.

Vegas looks to be in real trouble but they don't really have any buyout candidates either.  They may have to make a trade or two.  Maybe Alex Tuch and Ryan Reaves will be on the market.

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Friedman in his 31 thoughts say they've been thinking about it before hiring Holland.  His decision now.  Close to no cap savings but the team gets to move on and it might be better than giving up an asset or taking on another bad contract.  

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lucic and Eriksson both have contracts that are buyout proof.  The Oilers could buyout Sekera and Gagner and save $5 million next year on their cap.  Tampa could buyout Callahan and Palat in order to re-sign Point.  Toronto, Pittsburgh and Washington will all have cap issues but I am not sure if they will buy anyone out.

Vegas looks to be in real trouble but they don't really have any buyout candidates either.  They may have to make a trade or two.  Maybe Alex Tuch and Ryan Reaves will be on the market.

Erikkson's deal makes no sense to buy out this year.  After next year it starts to make sense, it would have little savings in the first year but after that gives a lot of cap space.  Best is likely to hold on until the expansion draft and if we can't lose him there buy him out if we need the space.  The numbers work in that situation.

Lucic it is all bonus with almost no salary so doesn't work at all.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Tuch lands on the market Canucks should be agressive in trying to get him. He’d be great on Bo’s right wing

edit: the more I look at Vegas the more I think the Canucks should be looking to pry a piece away from them. Already projected to be at the cap and they haven’t re-signed Karlsson or Subban yet. They may be willing to sell low on some one to clear space (smith maybe?)

52 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

If Tuch lands on the market Canucks should be agressive in trying to get him. He’d be great on Bo’s right wing

edit: the more I look at Vegas the more I think the Canucks should be looking to pry a piece away from them. Already projected to be at the cap and they haven’t re-signed Karlsson or Subban yet. They may be willing to sell low on some one to clear space (smith maybe?)

Tuch, Miller and Smith.....would be awesome on our team.

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Time for JB to trade for Colin Miller, can slot into our 2nd pair D and use his slapper on our PP

4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Erikkson's deal makes no sense to buy out this year.  After next year it starts to make sense, it would have little savings in the first year but after that gives a lot of cap space.  Best is likely to hold on until the expansion draft and if we can't lose him there buy him out if we need the space.  The numbers work in that situation.

Lucic it is all bonus with almost no salary so doesn't work at all.

There is no savings with buying out Eriksson until the last year of his contract.  And even then it is only $2 million.  Better to try and trade him and retain 50% then buying him out.

I actually think there could be some opportunities to take on a liability in exchange for asset(s) ; Callahan in particular . I don't think TB will want to keep even a residual cap hit and if the Canucks buy him out he can re-sign with TB , similar to Orpik last season. He would only need to get 1 yr X ~1.6 to be made whole . The buyout price is ~3.1 M (plus cap implications )  so that is the figure a return would be based on.

So tell me what is wrong with

Lucic @50% for 2019 2nd +2020 2nd

Then buy out Lucic

It is something we could do

or

sell him at 50% retained so the interested club only carries 1.5 M per year

I actually think Lucic has value, just not at 6 million per...……………………..

Think of this...…...

Vancouver receives a 2019 2nd + 2020 2nd from Edmonton

Then

Trade Lucic to Ottawa (example) at 50% retained with our 2019 3rd

for another

2019 2nd from Ottawa

Then buy Lucic out of what we owe

It would be insignificant for what we would get in return

Edmonton fans iare all in for this on HF Boards awhile back

19 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So tell me what is wrong with

Lucic @50% for 2019 2nd +2020 2nd

Then buy out Lucic

It is something we could do

or

sell him at 50% retained so the interested club only carries 1.5 M per year

I actually think Lucic has value, just not at 6 million per...……………………..

Think of this...…...

Vancouver receives a 2019 2nd + 2020 2nd from Edmonton

Then

Trade Lucic to Ottawa (example) at 50% retained with our 2019 3rd

for another

2019 2nd from Ottawa

Then buy Lucic out of what we owe

It would be insignificant for what we would get in return

Edmonton fans iare all in for this on HF Boards awhile back

Easy to be all in on this when you don't have to foot the bill.B)

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Easy to be all in on this when you don't have to foot the bill.B)

No doubt......but it is cheaper and does not include their 2019 1st, plus frees 3 M in cap......

so from a fan position in Edmonton, it works

Now, like you say...……….it is still 12 million over 4 years to get rid of their mistake...……...

It will be interesting to see how Holland manages their mess......

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] Buyout candidates

Archived