Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Ben Hutton for a forward


Recommended Posts

[proposal] Ben Hutton for a forward 

 

This isn’t a proposal on my end, but rather, just a question for curiosity sake.

 

If the Canucks offered Hutton for a forward around the league, who would be equivalent value in a straight one-for-one deal?  (Ie Gudbranson landed Pearson).

 

Again - I’m NOT saying that “this should happen,” or “this will happen,” but I’m simply curious. 

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d say a 3rd line player who needs a fresh start somewhere else. Burakovsky in Washington for example. But due to cap problems Washington wouldn’t do this trade. But assuming cap works out than thats the type of return id expect

Edited by The_Rocket
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

I’d say a 3rd line player who needs a fresh start somewhere else. Burakovsky in Washington for example. But due to cap problems Washington wouldn’t do this trade. But assuming cap works out than thats the type of return id expect

I'd agree with this unless Hutton were moved as part of a package.

 

I'm going to go out on a limb here (not really) and say that Benning will do less rather than more in revamping the D.  On the left side:

  1. Edler re-signed
  2. Pouliot not

The leaves depth of:

  • Edler
  • Hughes
  • Hutton
  • Sautner 
  • Juolevi (Utica to start)

This holds up because as history with Benning has shown, he will not assume an inexperienced player is going to be the guy.  The exceptions, I believe are Pettersson and Hughes.  My point being the he will likely hang on to Hutton rather than start Saunter (who I believe would be just fine as a 3rd pair but doesn't have the track record yet).  

 

Long term, I don't see Hutton with the Canucks.  His salary is too high for a bottom pair D and he just doesn't have the jam or the brain to move the puck the way he needs to.  They figured he'd be better offensively but he still hasn't repeated his 25 point rookie point total is still running a personal goal differential greater than -20 (-23 last year).  I think that +/- has little value over the short term but over the long term it is still a decent (if imprecise) yard stick particularly with D; Hutton is a defensive liability still after 4 seasons and 276 NHL games.

 

 

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I'd agree with this unless Hutton were moved as part of a package.

 

I'm going to go out on a limb here (not really) and say that Benning will do less rather than more in revamping the D.  On the left side:

  1. Edler re-signed
  2. Pouliot not

The leaves depth of:

  • Edler
  • Hughes
  • Hutton
  • Sautner 
  • Juolevi (Utica to start)

This holds up because as history with Benning has shown, he will not assume an inexperienced player is going to be the guy.  The exceptions, I believe are Pettersson and Hughes.  My point being the he will likely hang on to Hutton rather than start Saunter (who I believe would be just fine as a 3rd pair but doesn't have the track record yet).  

 

Long term, I don't see Hutton with the Canucks.  His salary is too high for a bottom pair D and he just doesn't have the jam or the brain to move the puck the way he needs to.  They figured he'd be better offensively but he still hasn't repeated his 25 point rookie point total and a -23 personal goal differential.  I think that +/- has little value over the short term but over the long term it is still a decent (if imprecise) yard stick particularly with D; Hutton is a defensive liability still after 4 seasons and 276 NHL games.

No Stetcher?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I'd agree with this unless Hutton were moved as part of a package.

 

I'm going to go out on a limb here (not really) and say that Benning will do less rather than more in revamping the D.  On the left side:

  1. Edler re-signed
  2. Pouliot not

The leaves depth of:

  • Edler
  • Hughes
  • Hutton
  • Sautner 
  • Juolevi (Utica to start)

This holds up because as history with Benning has shown, he will not assume an inexperienced player is going to be the guy.  The exceptions, I believe are Pettersson and Hughes.  My point being the he will likely hang on to Hutton rather than start Saunter (who I believe would be just fine as a 3rd pair but doesn't have the track record yet).  

 

Long term, I don't see Hutton with the Canucks.  His salary is too high for a bottom pair D and he just doesn't have the jam or the brain to move the puck the way he needs to.  They figured he'd be better offensively but he still hasn't repeated his 25 point rookie point total and a -23 personal goal differential.  I think that +/- has little value over the short term but over the long term it is still a decent (if imprecise) yard stick particularly with D; Hutton is a defensive liability still after 4 seasons and 276 NHL games.

I do recall at the end of last year Jim specially talking about previewing Sautner and others for potential spots, so I actually wouldn't be surprised if Sautner was in the plans as the bottom pair LD. But the scenario you laid out is also very likely and in line with what we've seen. I think it more depends on what the return for Hutty is more than anything, I don't think he's just looking to throw Hutty away for nothing. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I do recall at the end of last year Jim specially talking about previewing Sautner and others for potential spots, so I actually wouldn't be surprised if Sautner was in the plans as the bottom pair LD. But the scenario you laid out is also very likely and in line with what we've seen. I think it more depends on what the return for Hutty is more than anything, I don't think he's just looking to throw Hutty away for nothing. 

 

I agree, Hutton is an NHL player with value just not a whole lot on his own.

 

I could also see him moved for a right shot D on his own or as part of a package.  I see that as a more likely scenario than the OP's proposal.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Still boggles my mind how ppl think we have anywhere near the required depth on d that we can afford to entertain trades including arguably our 3rd or 4th best defenceman and replacing him with a rookie?   Even worse idea if in fact Edler doesn't re-up.

Hutton playing so many important minutes for us last season is a huge reason why we were a bottom feeder.  If we can get a mid round pick for him now s the time to offload dead weight. 

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  sautner can be our 6 or 7th dman  id package hutton and baertchi for picks at draft. and resign schenn edler  and trade sutter tanev. and trade eriksson with 3 mill retained  for picks and prospects opens up 18 mill in cap   can sign pararin and a good d man and extend boeser with that huge cap savings 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

I’d say a 3rd line player who needs a fresh start somewhere else. Burakovsky in Washington for example. But due to cap problems Washington wouldn’t do this trade. But assuming cap works out than thats the type of return id expect

I could actually see this happening with all the trade talk last year....

Washington is hard to the cap when all 23 players are signed

So something along the lines of Hutton at 50% for Burakovsky and a 2nd (very late)

We might have to add a late pick???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Still boggles my mind how ppl think we have anywhere near the required depth on d that we can afford to entertain trades including arguably our 3rd or 4th best defenceman and replacing him with a rookie?   Even worse idea if in fact Edler doesn't re-up.

I don't think that at all.

 

Please don't assume things about my original post.

 

I am literally just curious about the "forward equivalent" value for Hutton.    Gudbranson apparently equals Pearson and so Hutton equals..............?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think his value would be well spent on a forward in a 'hockey trade' scenario. Hutton had a decent year last year, and was able to step up into a solid top 4 position (could argue top 2 when our D Corp fell apart due to injuries) when it was required of him. That being said he had a pretty bad year the previous year and I'm not sure he would hold much trade value as is. In a 1v1 trade I could see him fetching a middle 6 forward, probably closer to a 3rd liner.

 

He holds more value to our team, or part of a sweetener in a package deal. I would rather see Hutton packaged with another pick or player for a RD or even a top 6 winger, if he is traded. My personal preference is keep him. Run Edler/Hutton/Hughes on the left side until Juolevi is ready to make the NHL jump.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He just had a decent season. But I doubt he has any trade value. For a 5th round pick we got 4 seasons from the guy. 

Let him fight it out at training camp. 

 

It's a logjam on defence right now. Especially if you play the left side. 

Hutton, Teves, Rafferty, Juolevi, Hughes, Stetcher, Tanev. I'd like to see the team sign Schenn as an insurance policy. 

Not including Biega, Brisebois, and Sautner, and if they sign Edler to an extension. 

Or Jett Woo, or Mitch Eliot, or Chatfield. 

 

Honestly I'd say Stecher has more value than Hutton right now. At least he's Right Handed, and is better defensively. 

 

I think it's safe to say our defence is going to look very different at least in Utica, let alone in the NHL. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Ben Hutton for a forward

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...