The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] You Are the GM

Ok, you are Jim Benning from now (May 19th until Aug 15), you are limited to 3 Trades and 2 UFA signings. You can sign your own RFA's and UFA's, and post your 1st and 2nd round draft picks.

Post your top 10 Prospects list...………..

UFA signings...…….

Dzingel……….LW/C/RW...…...27 years old..........5 years @ 5.5 Million per

Ferland……….LW/RW...……...27 years old..........4 years @ 5.0 Million per

Trades...……..

Baertschi and Goldobin...LW...…….for...…….Roland McKeown (RHD) + 2019 2nd                    Carolina is in need of a LWers, we have many, Baertschi has Offense

Sutter @ 50%...……….....C/RW......for...…….Florida's 2019 2nd Round pick from Pittsburgh     Florida is in need of Defensive help, at center and wing. Sutter provides both

Hutton...……...…………...LHD...…..for...…….Toronto's 2019 2nd Round pick                             With Gardiner walking, Hutton will be a cap controlled replacement

RFA and UFA signings...….(Own team)

Edler...………..LHD...……...3 years at 5.5 Million per...………...NTC in 1st year, Limited NTC in 2nd year, and none in 3rd year (6 team Limited NTC..Edlers list)

Tryamkin...…...RHD...……..2 years at 3.5 Million per...………...Show me contract....tradable in both years....hope he resigns, and we don't trade him at the end

Boeser………..RW...…...….8 years at 6.5 Million per...………..Hey, lock up your stars, in 8 years that 6.5 Million is going to look real cheap

Motte...……….RW/C/LW.....2 years at 1.2 Million per................2 way contracts

Leivo...............LW................2 years at 1.2 Million per................2 way contracts

Cap Space at 30.5 plus 5.5 Million out in trades = 36 Million for signings.

Signings = 28.4 Million. Sutter Retention 2.2 Million.

Remaining Cap space 7.6 Million in reserve for 2020 season. (Pettersson and Hughes)

2019 Draft

10th OA...................Van's ................................LWers......Krebs/Boldy/Zegras                     

40th OA...................Van's ................................RHD.........Thomson

52nd OA..................Carolina's.........................RHD.........Korczak

55th OA...................Florida's from Pitts...........RW/LW.....Teply

56th OA...................Toronto's..........................Goalie.......Mads Sogaard (Medicine Hat)

Top Ten Prospects

1.  Krebs/Boldy/Zegras

2.  Juolevi

3.  Woo

4.  Madden

5.  Lind

6.  DiPietro

7.  Brisebois

8.  Thomson

9.  Korczak

10.Teply

HM Rathbone 

HM Sogaard

Question #1.......Why Dzingel and Ferland?

Answer...............Entirely different players, who both play both wings, and are solid 2nd tier wingers. One physical and one finesse, so they can switch up if need be.

Question #2.......Why did I draft these guys?

Answer...............10th.......with the signing of Tryamkin, not be in a rush for another RHD, and could take our time developing, them where as the wingers would be ready sooner

40th......Thomson is right in our wheel house, but we may have to move up a couple picks, we have the assets to do that. IMO

52nd.....Korczak is a big, defensively sound dman (great 1 on 1), and would be able to compliment, McKeown,  Woo and Thomson, in the future

55th......Teply is a great support player, who has good size and up side. He could be the steal of the draft. Plays both wings well.

56th......Sogaard......big athletic goalie (6'7").....you can never have enough goalies (2nd or 3rd ranked goalie in the draft)

Question #3......Why do you think Tryamkin will come?

Answer...............I don't but I am going to after him, and work with his agent, to do so. His agent knows he needs to get here now, and also knows he has a job in the KHL anytime.

I also think that many of Tryamkin's concerns are been met and many of his allusions of the KHL, have been dispelled, including sharing ice time with the other 7 D

I would love to see your GM moves................

• Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

UFA signings...…….

Ferland……….LW/RW...……...27 years old..........4 years @ 5.0 Million per

I'd rather not spend that 10.5 Million, but if we did, I'd much rather spend it on Panarin or Karlsson. We would instantly have one of the best 1st lines in the league or one of the best defense pairings.

I'm good with Pearson or Baertschi as our 2nd line LW.

Virtanen can handle doing what Ferland can, but for much cheaper.

• Upvote 1

Goal for the summer:  Solidify the forward group for both short term and long term.  Find a top line LW’er + good 2nd line RW’er.

1) Sign Ryan Dzingel:  He’ll be a good fit on the top line with Boeser and Pettersson and won’t cost an arm and a leg like Panarin.  

2) 10th overall for William Nylander.  Leafs get cap space.  Canucks gain a long term asset.

3) Eriksson + Schaller to Ottawa (zero retention) for a draft pick.

4) Gaudette or Madden for a young promising RD prospect

Dzingel-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Nylander

[Baertschi/Goldobin]-Sutter-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Baertschi/Goldobin

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Hughes-[GaudetteORMaddenEquivalent]

Sautner, Schenn

Markstrom

Demko

I’ll post more thoughts later (will re-edit this post), but this is what I have for now).

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

Minor point Jan...but I have seen you say it twice now...we don’t need to resign Petey and QH until 2021-22 season, not 2020.

Not a major issue wrt what you propose, but worth remembering that the likes of Sutter, Baer and Pearson will be on expiring contracts and so simply not resigning say Sutter and Baer would provide almost $8m in cap space (if they haven’t been moved on already).

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Upvote 1

Here goes...

Overall aim is to bring in some grit to help the kids out in top 6 F and top 4 D. But keep cap flexibility for 2021-22.

Trade 1:

VAN - Eriksson + Goldobin 

OTT - 7th round 2020

Trades 2 & 3:

Get anything we can for Granlund, Schaller, Spooner. Probably nothing...

UFA market:

Brock Nelson - $5.5m x 5 years

Ben Chiarot - $3.0m x 5 years

Resign:

Boeser $7.0m x 7

Edler $6.0m x 2 

Hutton $3.0m x 3

Leivo $1.6m x 2

Motte $1.2m x 2

Schenn $1.2m x 1

Raffery $1.0m x 1

$30.5m current space.

Adds $35.5m in cap

Less $6.0m in cap

Cap space of $1.0m

Next season:

Schaller, Gaudette, Saunter start in Utica

2019-20 lineup:

Nelson Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Baer Sutter Leivo

Roussel Beagle Motte

(Spooner)

Edler Stecher

Chiarot Hughes

Hutton Tanev

(Rafferty Schenn)

Markstrom Demko

Lots of flexibility for 2021:

Bring in ELCs and UFA such as Coyle (underlined are possible gap fillers)

Nelson Pettersson Boeser

Madden Horvat Virtanen

Coyle Gaudette MacEwen

Roussel Beagle Leivo

(Motte)

Hughes Tryamkin

Chiarot Stecher

Juolevi Woo

(Hutton Rafferty)

Demko Dipietro

• Cheers 1

So you've given 3 trades and 2 signings...... OK then: 

Trade attempts: 

1. Loui to whoever wants him for full salary with no garbage coming back, otherwise keep him. No more talk of taking on other peoples crap.

2. Spooner for anything. 

3. Hutton for a pick.

Signing attempts:

1. Try for one of Panarin, Lee, and Hayes and if none are interested just keep building. We need players with some talent separation from the pack, not more middle of the pack Fs. 

2. Some depth d for the right side, maybe someone we can flip on a 1 year deal if we're missing the playoffs again. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

Boeser 7.5mil @ 5 years ntc

Let most U/RFAs walk.

Schenn (1mil x1 year)

Edler ( 4mil x 1 NMC)

FREE AGENTS

Brandon Tanev 3.25 mil x 4-5 years

Ron Hainsey 1.5mil x1 year

Trades

Hornquist from Pitsburgh for youth and picks. Pits sheding cap is the value.

Shop - Sutter and LE.

Sutter imo has more value and could be moved easier. Take whatever return and run. Montreal? Florida? Flyers?

2019-2020

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Baerschi - Petterson - Hornquist

Virtanen - Beagle - Leivo

B.Tanev - Spooner - Roussel

X =  Eriksson*, Sutter*, Gaudette, Motte, Schaller

Edler - Hutton

C.Tanev - Hughes

Stetcher - Hainsy

X- Schenn, Biega, Julevi

Markstrom

Demko

*LE. Is told light it up in camp or its the minors. If he cracks we win. If hes dumped to Utica we make a trade in Nov. Have to wait for this move and see the climate.

*Sutter. If we cant move him Spooner is in the press box until Injuries clear up space.

We ride this lineup until Dec/Jan. If its cracking we deal Julevi/Dipietro for some help.

Playoffs are #1 priority. We need some wildcard action to get the core team hungry.

If I'm GM, I'm putting together a "Best of Vancouver" lifestyle video, including beautiful scenery (mountains, beaches, architecture, Canadian women, etc.) and a highlight package of Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Markstrom, etc. and maybe some good old Pavel Bure, Mogilny, Sedin twins, Naslund...

aaaaaannnnndddddd sending that straight to Artemi Panarin

He is a great fit for this team and would really love it here, and he probably doesn't even know it yet. Let him know!!!

(Also text Jake Gardiner to let him know we will not be signing him)

My thoughts on my moves is the now and then. To break it down,  adding Ferland, Dzingel, Tryamkin, and resigning Edler, advances us now, but it is the future, where I think the plan starts to really take hold. First off, adding some of our prospects 2/3 years down the road makes us a very young and up and coming team, it also starts to back up our prospects, and allows them further development in Utica. Secondly, it gives us a prospect pool that allows for us to continue to inject youth (ELC's) into our line up, keeping our Cap under control. Lastly, the prospect pool when added to our all ready young core, solidifies pretty much every position. The trick down the road will to keep the rotation of players going.

2019-2020 Team                                                                        2022-2023 Team

Dzingel Pettersson Boeser                                                     2019 1st*/Pettersson/Boeser

Perason Horvat Ferland                                                             Pearson/Horvat/Dzingel

Rousel Gaudette Virtanen                                                       Virtanen/Gaudette/Madden

Eriksson Beagle McEwen                                                            Ferland/McEwen/Lind

Motte  Granlund                                                                            Jasek/Motte

Hughes      Tryamkin                                                                    Hughes   Tryamkin

Edler         Stecher                                                                      Juolevi   Stecher

Juolevi       Tanev                                                                         Rathbone    Woo

Saunter     Schenn                                                                      Brisebois    Thomson

Markstrom                                                                                       Demko

Demko                                                                                         DiPietro

The key, I believe is that in 2022-2023, you have accumulated, multiple draft picks, which start to back up, and you have multiple veterans running out their contract and can be traded, if still playing...……….Rousell, Eriksson, Beagle, Granlund, Edler, Tanev, Markstrom, all become TDL options, if they last that long?

Players like Ferland, Dzingel and Tryamkin, now begin to become expendable, and you are gaining cap space as your veterans move out...…….

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Ok, you are Jim Benning from now (May 19th until Aug 15), you are limited to 3 Trades and 2 UFA signings. You can sign your own RFA's and UFA's, and post your 1st and 2nd round draft picks.

Post your top 10 Prospects list...………..

UFA signings...…….

Williams……….RW...……...37 years old..........1 years @ 4.0 Million (If he's willing to leave Carolina)

Stralman.........RHD..................32 year old...........2 years @ 3.5 Million per

Trades...……..

Goldobin and Sutter (50% retained) ..…….to Pittsburgh for...…….Hornqvist + Hallander      Pittsburg is in need of a defensive centre and need to move out some cap space.

Eriksson + 4th.........for...……Alzner        Canadians use up a little more cap space but get a serviceable veteran. Canucks get a Veteran D for injury callups.

Hutton + Baertschi......…..for...…….Edmonton's 2nd + Sekera + Puljujarvi                      Hutton adds needed value to their backend and Baetschi is a much needed winger for EDM.

Edler...………..LHD...……...2 years at 5.5 Million 

Boeser………..RW...…...….7 years at 7 Million

Motte...……….RW/C/LW.....2 years at 1.5 Million 

Leivo...............LW................3 years at 3 Million 

Remaining Cap space 7.6 Million in reserve for 2020 season. (Pettersson and Hughes)

2019 Draft

10th OA...................Van's ..................... Seider or Soderstrom                     

38th OA...................EDM's .......................Hoglander or Lavoie

40th OA..................VAN's......................Korczak or Thomson

71st OA..................Van's......................... Misyul or Hugo Has

Top Ten Prospects

1.  2019 1st Seider

2.  Woo

3.  Madden

4.  Juolevi

5.  Lind

6.  Rathbone

7.  2019 2nd EDM Hoglander

8.  2019 2nd VAN Thomson

9.  DiPietro

10. MacEwen

HM Rafferty

HM Gadjovich

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Joscanucks said:

trade 1.   Toronto gets: tanev, virtanen and a 4th

vancouver gets. Nylander 

I like that trade idea.  I definitely would not give up our 10th overall pick for Nylander, as was mentioned earlier in the thread but if Toronto would be willing to part with Nylander to dump his salary for a trade like Tanev, Virtanen and a 4th, I'd jump at it.  He could be a great LW on our top line for a long time.  I feel like Toronto would be able to get a better deal elsewhere though.

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] You Are the GM
On 5/20/2019 at 5:23 PM, Hindustan Smyl said:

Goal for the summer:  Solidify the forward group for both short term and long term.  Find a top line LW’er + good 2nd line RW’er.

1) Sign Ryan Dzingel:  He’ll be a good fit on the top line with Boeser and Pettersson and won’t cost an arm and a leg like Panarin.  

2) 10th overall for William Nylander.  Leafs get cap space.  Canucks gain a long term asset.

3) Eriksson + Schaller to Ottawa (zero retention) for a draft pick.

4) Adam Gaudette for Bode Wilde

Dzingel-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Nylander

[Baertschi/Goldobin]-Sutter-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Baertschi/Goldobin

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Hughes-Wilde

Sautner, Schenn

Markstrom

Demko

I’ll post more thoughts later (will re-edit this post), but this is what I have for now).

I’ve made an update to my roster (Gaudette to NYI for Bode Wilde).

I’ll just add a quick note about William Nylander.  I know many posters on here hate the idea of trading our 1st for Nylander, but I think history has shown that all/most 10th OA’s don’t end up being as good as Nylander. Nylander netted multiple 20+goal/60+ point seasons in his first two years.   The likely reason why he had a lackluster season last season was probably due to the fact that he didn’t have a training camp (due to stalled negotiations).   It’s a tall order for anyone to step into a line-up and play amongst others who are already in mid season form.

Buy low sell high.  Toronto has cap complications through the wazoo.  The asking price for Kapanen would be too high.  Take Nylander of their hands.  

After the terrible 10 million cap hit this season (which the Canucks would easily be able to afford), Nylander’s cap hit would go to a very nice 6.9 something million.  

Nylander’s style of game would provide Horvat and Pearson’s game very well (ie playmaker).

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

Ok I'll play. I had it all written out and didn't bring home my plan.

3 Trades:

Tanev and a 2nd for: Kapenan

2nd round pick for: David Clarkson and a 1st

One of: Granlund, Baer, Spooner, Erikkson for: 5th round pick

2 signings:

Ron Hainsey 

Jeff Skinner

Skinner Pete Brock

Pearson Bo Kapanen 

Levio Sutter Virtanen 

Rousell Beagle Motte

Gaudette, and probably Erikkson

(I can't remember their sides)

Edler Stecher

Hainsey Hutton 

Schenn Hughes

Biega, OJ

Honourable mentions: Brandon Tanev, Michael Ferland and Jake Gardiner.

If Brandon Tanev was signed I'd swap out Tanev with Stecher in the deal and dump more fringe forwards.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:03 AM, nergish said:

If I'm GM, I'm putting together a "Best of Vancouver" lifestyle video, including beautiful scenery (mountains, beaches, architecture, Canadian women, etc.) and a highlight package of Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Markstrom, etc. and maybe some good old Pavel Bure, Mogilny, Sedin twins, Naslund...

aaaaaannnnndddddd sending that straight to Artemi Panarin

He is a great fit for this team and would really love it here, and he probably doesn't even know it yet. Let him know!!!

(Also text Jake Gardiner to let him know we will not be signing him)

Yea you and 30 teams have the same video.

Columbus offered free booze for life I think.

It sucks but if you want NY or Florida it's what you want.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:06 AM, janisahockeynut said:

UFA signings...…….

None

Trades...……..

Sutter @ 50%..................…….for...…….Milan Lucic + 2019 1st 8th OA, 2019 2nd 38th OA---- They need cap space, we need picks                 

Baertschi, Hutton.....................for...…….CAR 1st 29th OA  ---------------------------------------------- CAR gets help on LW and can move higher value D for more forward help

Tanev, Goldy,2nd/3rd in 20.....for...…….DAL 1st 18th OA, Honka ------------------------------------- Upgrade on D for Dallas, project swaps in Honka and Goldobin. DAL gets 2nd in 2020 if Tanev plays less than 65 games, 3rd if he plays more

29th(CAR), 38th(EDM)............for...........PITS 1st 21st OA ---------------------------------------------- PIT drops 8 spots but picks up an extra 2nd to help restock prospect pool. May need to add a tad bit more

Edler...………..LHD...……...2 years at 5.0 Million per...………...NO NTC

Boeser………..RW...…...….8 years at 7.0 Million per...………..

Motte...……….RW/C/LW.....2 years at 1.2 Million per................2 way contracts

Leivo...............LW................2 years at 1.5 Million per................2 way contracts

2019 Draft

8th OA...................Podkolzin                

10th OA.................Krebs

18th OA.................Seider

21st OA..................Lavoie

40th OA..................Korczak

PROSPECTS

Podkolzin

Juolevi

Woo

Krebs

Seider

Lind

Madden

Lavoie

DiPietro

Lockwood

Korczak

IN

Lucic (6m)

Honka (1.5m)

Picks 8, 18, 21

OUT

Sutter (2m)

Baertschi (3.4m)

Hutton (likely around 3m)

Tanev (4.5)

Goldobin (1.5m)

More salary OUT than IN. I would get rid of Spooner, Schaller, and Granlund as well, saving us an additional 6 million approximately this year and look to move Eriksson to Ottawa this year or next after his bonuses are paid out. We could add in Lind or Gadjovich to entice Ottawa to taking him on. Gets them to the cap floor, gives them an additional prospect, Melnyk saves real money. Not bringing back Gaunce and Pouliot also helps save Cap room. We should be in pretty good shape when Pettersson and Hughes contracts come up. Should have enough picks and prospects to move Lucic at this time or buy him out. See how Virtanen does this year and if he doesn't improve, time for him to go.

Pipe dream and values may need to be adjusted to make things work but this is the plan I would diligently pursue prior to the draft.

• Thanks 1

Stralman and Connolly I'd throw money at, maybe Lee but I doubt he gets to Free Agency. Stralman for 2-3 years at 5.5. Connolly I'd throw 4ish mil at. Good middle 6 dollars. If Lee gets to free agency I'd strongly consider 6mil per. But I probably wouldn't pursue both Connolly and Lee. Unless we offload Eriksson and/or Sutter.

On 5/21/2019 at 11:02 AM, underrated said:

I like that trade idea.  I definitely would not give up our 10th overall pick for Nylander, as was mentioned earlier in the thread but if Toronto would be willing to part with Nylander to dump his salary for a trade like Tanev, Virtanen and a 4th, I'd jump at it.  He could be a great LW on our top line for a long time.  I feel like Toronto would be able to get a better deal elsewhere though.

I personally would not move Jake Virtanen at all as I believe that he is a diamond in the rough.

14 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Ok I'll play. I had it all written out and didn't bring home my plan.

3 Trades:

Tanev and a 2nd for: Kapenan

2nd round pick for: David Clarkson and a 1st

One of: Granlund, Baer, Spooner, Erikkson for: 5th round pick

2 signings:

Ron Hainsey 

Jeff Skinner

Skinner Pete Brock

Pearson Bo Kapanen 

Levio Sutter Virtanen 

Rousell Beagle Motte

Gaudette, and probably Erikkson

(I can't remember their sides)

Edler Stecher

Hainsey Hutton 

Schenn Hughes

Biega, OJ

Honourable mentions: Brandon Tanev, Michael Ferland and Jake Gardiner.

If Brandon Tanev was signed I'd swap out Tanev with Stecher in the deal and dump more fringe forwards.

I can’t see the Leafs moving a young promising and cost controlled asset like Kapanen for an injury prone and aging dman (Tanev) + a measley 2nd rounder.  Toronto wouldn’t save much cap space by making such a move.

The Canucks would also be very foolish to move Tanev at this juncture since his presence in the line-up allows other young prospects/players on our team to develop at a more comfortable rate.  If you move Tanev, then all of a sudden, guys like Stecher and Schenn would be playing in roles that would be beyond their levels.  Lastly - a guy like Tanev serves as the perfect partner for a guy like Hughes who will be getting his first season under his belt.

Tanev has more value to the Canucks then he would in any trade that we would make involving him.  

Trading Tanev, much like Markstrom, would be a terrible idea in my opinion, and the Leafs certainly won’t be giving us Kapanen for him.