The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet 7 NHL teams staring into... cap hell

Rate this topic

Gurn

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we can offer sheet him up to 8.4 mil per on a 5 year deal and the compensation would be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd according to cap friendly. 

And Tampa matches that instantly. You are going to need to offer 10.5m to have a chance of Tampa not matching it.

This is an offseason that will see the league level out in whole and have less points between top and bottom teams.

Players that could be the main proponent of a trade 

Kapanen - he could come cheap with a deal involving Marleau

Pointe seems like he would be hard to get and an offersheet could work here, that's where making a play for callahan and one of sergachev or Foote could be the sweetener is likely to at least be considered

Alex Tuch is a guy I would really like to get. Him plus a cap dump could get them a 2020 first or solid third liner and a second

I would see Baertschi or Virtanen as pieces that would be used as well as next year's picks.

But please, just no over paid underperforming players with contracts passed next year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Sadly, the only thing this article will do is give a lot of CDC'ers a lot of bad ideas of taking on other GM's mistakes in hopes of bettering ourselves.

Stay the course, build through the draft.

Stay away from other GM's mistakes.

But, Lucic...

:huh:

• Cheers 1

I think the article is really understating the cap hell these teams are in. I also can't understand why Winnipeg is not on his list. They need to sign Laine, Connor and Trouba.....what's that going to cost? Maybe $20M? They are about $27M below the projected cap but after signing these three they will likely have no more than $7M to sign another 7 players.

None of these numbers include Myers or Chairot so I think it is a foregone conclusion that they will be  gone.

• Upvote 1

Leafs will lose Kapanen and Johnsson but I wouldn't call it cap hell when they have lots of guys in AHL waiting for a call up, and the still have $7M to sign two defensemen. And then after this year they get Marleau off the books. They will sign Marner, I have no doubt.

27 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Leafs will lose Kapanen and Johnsson but I wouldn't call it cap hell when they have lots of guys in AHL waiting for a call up, and the still have $7M to sign two defensemen. And then after this year they get Marleau off the books. They will sign Marner, I have no doubt.

But if you make their skeleton-roster, you'll see no meat on the bones!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Sadly, the only thing this article will do is give a lot of CDC'ers a lot of bad ideas of taking on other GM's mistakes in hopes of bettering ourselves.

Stay the course, build through the draft.

Stay away from other GM's mistakes. 

Incoming proposal threads in 3...2...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pears said:

Understandably so. I get that there will be plenty of opportunity for an offer sheet this summer, but I’d much prefer making a trade over potentially ruining your rep with other GMs. 

Point wants to stay in Tampa and isn't worried about long term deal or bridge - he's not going to sign an offer sheet..

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we can offer sheet him up to 8.4 mil per on a 5 year deal and the compensation would be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd according to cap friendly. 

But I'd like to see if there's some deal where we can wrangle their 1st for taking Callahan. Its the 27thoa so maybe the upgrade from 40th to 27th is worth it:

Our 2nd (40th oa)

for

Callahan and the 27th oa  OR Callahan and Cal Foote. 

Tampa has favourable taxation - 8.4M in Vancouver is not the same as 8.4M in Tampa. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Well, its low ball, but if we could do a deal like that before the draft, Toronto would also save 3 million bonus payment due to Marleau on July 1st (not that they are hurting for money).

Then, turn around and offer:

to NJ:

2019 first, 10th OA

2020 first, from Toronto

Insert another prospect name here

To Jan:

2019 1st OA

Where is NJ weak? What else could be added?

Thanks Vegas! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Well, its low ball, but if we could do a deal like that before the draft, Toronto would also save 3 million bonus payment due to Marleau on July 1st (not that they are hurting for money).

Then, turn around and offer:

to NJ:

2019 first, 10th OA

2020 first, from Toronto

Insert another prospect name here

To Jan:

2019 1st OA

Where is NJ weak? What else could be added?

NJD is not trading their 1st but you can win a contest to either go and meet Kakko or Jack Hughes:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Wanless said:

This is an offseason that will see the league level out in whole and have less points between top and bottom teams.

Players that could be the main proponent of a trade 

Kapanen - he could come cheap with a deal involving Marleau

Pointe seems like he would be hard to get and an offersheet could work here, that's where making a play for callahan and one of sergachev or Foote could be the sweetener is likely to at least be considered

Alex Tuch is a guy I would really like to get. Him plus a cap dump could get them a 2020 first or solid third liner and a second

I would see Baertschi or Virtanen as pieces that would be used as well as next year's picks.

But please, just no over paid underperforming players with contracts passed next year

Marleau doesn't sound the least bit interested in waiving his NMC.  He says it's up to the guys in the office to figure things out.  

If Toronto can't keep Kapanen - they'll go back to Carolina and trade him for one of their young Ds.  

This is what I have been trumpeting

But, I am all about picks for Cash Dumps and here is why...….

Our team is still in rebuild, as much as people think otherwise

And IMO, building depth in Utica, as well on Vancouver is very important.

Because as we become more competitive, it will be a sign that our players will want bigger contracts

This is something we are seeing now, and in the not to distant future...aka Hughes and Pettersson

If we trade for talent, we circumvent, the ELC that are so important...…...

So taking on a Cash Dump from one of the 7, should include a high pick, or upgrading a pick......

This ensures a ready supply of ELC's, which is something Tampa forgot about...…..

and which Vegas may have to tap into, if they want to keep their team intact...…..

So, on a serious note...….Kapanen, and Point deals, although good players, are past their ELC's

We are not ready yet for those types of additions...…...

We have extra Cap......good! trade for short term Cash Dumps and picks/draft up grades is the way to go 

I bet you Edmonton could do this right now!

From the article:  Massive relief could come in the form of moving David Clarkson’s contract ($5.25 million for one more season) to a team in need of hitting the floor (Ottawa?). Of course, such a trade would require Vegas sweetening the deal with picks and/or players.

Clarkson after his bonus payment is only 200K in real money and Ottawa would get picks/prospects that helps their rebuild.  

34 minutes ago, mll said:

Tampa has favourable taxation - 8.4M in Vancouver is not the same as 8.4M in Tampa. 

true but they don't corner the market on every player, its just one factor.